Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I believe I read him saying however, that he had an interest in like a 240 GB SSD though. =X Also, Wries, check your PMs! ;p
    Well, I'm either going for an OCZ Vertex 2 180GB ( Since all my colleagues have these at home, group buy ftw, and they say it's perfectly fine )
    or a 120 GB Intel 320. Since I'll be playing LOTS of games I'll need a fast HDD as well.

I'll be putting Windows, WoW and GW2 on the SSD and other games on the HDD.
    Last edited by mmoc2be3b3a67c; 2011-09-29 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickz View Post
    You get 1TB more, uses less power, it's less noisy and gets less warm? And all that for the same price? That thing must have some downside compared to the F3?
    Yes, it's not as fast as the top-performing F3 when playing games from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Yes it's EcoGreen 5400 RPM, it's slow.
    Please don't lie. It's slower, not slow. It's surprisingly fast, and from what I gather, only place where F3 really performs over this 5.4k RPM is at gaming, an area which the OP has an SSD for. The F3 is a very solid drive, and I recommend it to anything but storage because of it. No need to pay for things you aren't going to use. As I said, the benchmarks on the HDD I linked are easy to find.

I really don't understand the feasibility of a SSD. My OS boots up in like, 10 seconds to the login screen. Maybe 15. My games load really fast. I'm using a 7200 RPM F3 Spinpoint, and have everything on it, no partitions, no nothing. Now what would $100+ get me, or this person? a 5 second load, with immediate game loads (as opposed to 5 seconds?) I mean, playing Dragon Age 2 and loading Windows and accessing it, I really can't see how those few seconds merit that much money.

If you have to buy an SSD, I'd wait until Newegg throws one on Shell Shocker. They had one up there the other day, very good deal, I just don't want it. I'm not impatient, nor do I have to be, and load times of 5 seconds are plenty good. Besides, who doesn't pee while loading windows? I'm actually kind of sad it doesn't load slower, as now I start to get out of my chair and it's already loaded up.
    Last edited by WorldofWorkcraft; 2011-09-29 at 02:56 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    I really don't understand the feasibility of a SSD. My OS boots up in like, 10 seconds to the login screen. Maybe 15. My games load really fast. I'm using a 7200 RPM F3 Spinpoint, and have everything on it, no partitions, no nothing. Now what would $100+ get me, or this person? a 5 second load, with immediate game loads (as opposed to 5 seconds?) I mean, playing Dragon Age 2 and loading Windows and accessing it, I really can't see how those few seconds merit that much money.

If you have to buy an SSD, I'd wait until Newegg throws one on Shell Shocker. They had one up there the other day, very good deal, I just don't want it. I'm not impatient, nor do I have to be, and load times of 5 seconds are plenty good. Besides, who doesn't pee while loading windows? I'm actually kind of sad it doesn't load slower, as now I start to get out of my chair and it's already loaded up.
    I'd appreciate if people read further than the title / first post.

I have a 250€ gift card which I can spend tax free at our own personal supplier.
    So 1: it's free
    and 2 : I can't order at newegg, I have to order at our own supplier.

If it's faster, and I can get it for free, why not?

Anyway, thanks everyone, really helped out with picking out an SSD and HDD.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raphtheone View Post
    Yes, it's not as fast as the top-performing F3 when playing games from it.

Please don't lie. It's slower, not slow. It's surprisingly fast, and from what I gather, only place where F3 really performs over this 5.4k RPM is at gaming, an area which the OP has an SSD for. The F3 is a very solid drive, and I recommend it to anything but storage because of it. No need to pay for things you aren't going to use. As I said, the benchmarks on the HDD I linked are easy to find.
    hehe I'm not lying, I'm making a statement, so chill. He asked if there was a catch since he couldn't see a difference and well one of the differences is that it's 5400 RPM. Also from what I can see so far it looks like he is going with 120GB and not 240+ so personally I wouldn't recommend the slower version.

@Rickz stick with the Intel then, would be a real shame if something went wrong with the OCZ.

Deleted
    hehe I'm not lying, I'm making a statement, so chill. He asked if there was a catch since he couldn't see a difference and well one of the differences is that it's 5400 RPM. Also from what I can see so far it looks like he is going with 120GB and not 240+ so personally I wouldn't recommend the slower version.

@Rickz stick with the Intel then, would be a real shame if something went wrong with the OCZ.
    I did some research; it only affects the Vertex and Agility 3, not the 2:

"OCZ is aware of firmware issues that have been reported in the field that are potentially causing bluescreens on all SF2000-based drives, this issue affects a very small percentage of Vertex 3 and Agility 3 SSDs"
    This was back in june.

So I think I'll be safe with the 180 / 240GB ( depends on their stock ) Vertex 2 drive. A lot of my collegues use it, and it gives you double the capacity for the same price.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/high_end_drives.html

Look at the prices on the right, compare to the benchmarked technology. The Corsair Force GT is ranked highly, click on it (http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/hd...rsair+Force+GT) and it's one of the best ranked drives in its range.

Seems like a no-brainer decision.
    ..........gtfo for now

Deleted
    Think he is pretty set on what he wants and ignoring the "warning signs" that are there but buying anyways because some people did not have issues. It's is his money though and I hope it all works out well of course. Going to SSD from a regular mechanical drive for the first time is pretty big.

Also that quoted line sounds like a sells speech/damage control from OCZ, no offense

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Also that quoted line sounds like a sells speech/damage control from OCZ, no offense
    It is. OCZ doesn't like accepting the fact people are noticing they're going down the drain, just like Asus. I wish these companies were what they once were, they have a lot of great products but now it is hit or miss.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    OCZ Vertex 3. Fastest available except NASA hdds i guess :P

Bought a 120gig and i love it. starting PC takes 10~ seconds

Edit: As for the Bluescreen issue, i had that aswell. But all i had to do was firmware update it. Which you should do with ANY SSD when you buy one, no matter the brand.
    Last edited by mmoc4814bc6f58; 2011-10-03 at 03:57 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by burkhartt View Post
    http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/high_end_drives.html

Look at the prices on the right, compare to the benchmarked technology. The Corsair Force GT is ranked highly, click on it (http://www.harddrivebenchmark.net/hd...rsair+Force+GT) and it's one of the best ranked drives in its range.
    My supplier doesn't sell Force GT SDD's though. They offer a very limited amount of SSD's.

---------- Post added 2011-10-03 at 07:12 PM ----------

Think he is pretty set on what he wants and ignoring the "warning signs" that are there but buying anyways because some people did not have issues. It's is his money though and I hope it all works out well of course. Going to SSD from a regular mechanical drive for the first time is pretty big.

Well, a lot of people have been saying that a recent firmware upgrade solved the problem. And like I said, I can't find any posts that say the Vertex/Agility 2 have this problem. Only the Vertex/Agility 3.

I'm still trying to choose between the giant OCZ ( which might have some problems ) and a small older intel.

I got that quote from some support site btw :P
    Last edited by mmoc2be3b3a67c; 2011-10-03 at 05:15 PM.