Thread: GW2 and GW1

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

GW2 and GW1

Hello.
    i only heard about GW2 rather recently after TB put it on his youtube acount, and i found out that there is a GW1 (although that was a nobrainer really) so i was wondering if i need to have GW1 to buy GW2? is it a seperate game or is it an expansion pack?

thanks for any replies.

Completely separate and redesigned game/world, set 250 years after the original. Players who do have the original (and the expansion, Eye of the North) will get cosmetic in-game rewards based on their progress in the Hall of Monuments (http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=welcome), but nothing game-breaking.

10+ Year Old Account
    Separate game, tho' you can still receive perks from GW1 if you've completed expansions etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    GW2 is a completely new game, set in the same world as GW1 but 250 years in the future.
    You don't have to own GW1 to play it, although for longtime GW1 players, or people willing to take on the grind, there are some cosmetic item bonuses via the Hall of Momuments.

---------- Post added 2011-09-27 at 11:45 PM ----------

WTF Rhandric, get out of my head :O
    Last edited by Mif; 2011-09-27 at 02:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    GW2 is a completely new game, set in the same world as GW1 but 250 years in the future.
    You don't have to own GW1 to play it, although for longtime GW1 players, or people willing to take on the grind, there are some cosmetic item bonuses via the Hall of Momuments.

---------- Post added 2011-09-27 at 11:45 PM ----------

WTF Rrhandri, get out of my head :O
    Sorry Mif, you're 3 minutes too slow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Sorry Mif, you're 3 minutes too slow
    That's my own fault for stopping to have sex. Twice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    That's my own fault for stopping to have sex. Twice.
    so. does that mean you got promoted from a minute man to a minute and a half man?

Who is John Galt?

Deleted
    You don't 'need' it but it's still a great game and will give you an idea of what GW is about

Quote Originally Posted by Robot Penguin View Post
    You don't 'need' it but it's still a great game and will give you an idea of what GW is about
    Can't believe someone haven't made a video series where he plays through GW for points yet. Maybe I should do it....

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't need it, you don't WANT it.

I played the demo for 30 minutes, more boring than 5 hours straight tetris.

Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post

I think that would be for him to decide. I love the game, I have more hours playing it than any other game. Try it out OP. Download the trial first to see if you enjoy the mechanics of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post

Everyone that participated in the PvP says otherwise.
    The most important thing to realize is, no matter what you experience you are never alone; no matter what you are struggling through, there is always someone who is more unfortunate.

It's Ok to Be Takei (Rank 35/ Fractal Level 22)

10+ Year Old Account
    I started playing GW1 recently and I like it. I am only 3/50 on the HoM, but I am still learning how to get items for it and learning how to get better hero skills. I like the game a lot, it isn't EASY starting out. Currently I am stuck on Hell's Precipice (last? mission of Prophecies) I have ran it multiple times and each time I am getting closer. I started doing other missions just to not get too frustrated with it. It is an older game, and that doesn't bother me. A lot of older games are still my favorite. It is pretty cheap and if you don't have any other games taking up your time it would be a good game to play.

thanks a lot for the replies people, i think i will check out some videos for GW1 and find out if it looks interesting, then i guess i'll go to the shop and buy it to keep me busy until release, again thanks for responses

10+ Year Old Account
    The gameplay for GW is fairly different than GW2. but they are really solid games. They are best played with others as the henchman/hero AI just doesnt match a human player. If you want to only try one of the games (3 of the games are stand alone games, prophecies, factions, and nightfall) I'd recommend Nightfall for the best storyline and the nightfall exclusive skills (esp searing flames for elementalist) and to get eye of the north (expansion, requires one of the other 3 games) for the hall of monuments and lore leading up to GW2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Loyrl View Post
    I started playing GW1 recently and I like it. I am only 3/50 on the HoM, but I am still learning how to get items for it and learning how to get better hero skills. I like the game a lot, it isn't EASY starting out. Currently I am stuck on Hell's Precipice (last? mission of Prophecies) I have ran it multiple times and each time I am getting closer. I started doing other missions just to not get too frustrated with it. It is an older game, and that doesn't bother me. A lot of older games are still my favorite. It is pretty cheap and if you don't have any other games taking up your time it would be a good game to play.
    Abbadon's mouth is the most evil mission of all time ever.

OURS IS THE FURY -- Baratheon

You can get perks in Guild Wars 2 from the original, but keep in mind Guild Wars 2 is being built from the ground up to be almost a completely different game. So, if you end up liking the original Guild Wars, it may have no reflection on whether or not you'll like Guild Wars 2, and if you hate the original Guild Wars, you still may very much like Guild Wars 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Badluckandtrouble View Post
    Hello.
    i only heard about GW2 rather recently after TB put it on his youtube acount, and i found out that there is a GW1 (although that was a nobrainer really) so i was wondering if i need to have GW1 to buy GW2? is it a seperate game or is it an expansion pack?

thanks for any replies.
    OP dont get GW1 simply because you are excited about GW2. they are two different game genre set in the same game universe.

GW1 compared to GW2

is like
    WC3 compared to WoW.

by this I mean, its the same IP, but different game genre. so they have little in common gameplay wise.

I agree with a poster about it being boring. Many reviews agree. the PvE was a second though. and was pretty boring, since you basically soloing everything using npc party members. and it has no crafting professions. which means a dead economy. Runescape had a better in game economy.

GW1 is not a MMO. remember me telling you and future readers this. DONT GET GW1 IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR A MMORPG!
    Paladins are Cool Now?
    What happen to Kalgan?

Something tells me the above poster did not really play Guild Wars, or didn't realize you need to complete the tutorial to get into the actual game.

Guild Wars is completely different from all the other MMORPGs, so if you are bored with WoW and all of its clones, definitely go get it!
    It's like 30$ for all 4 campaigns, and you never have to pay for it again. Easily worth it just for the change of pace.

10+ Year Old Account
    he probably has only played with h/h and not actual players. its not a true mmo in that its not persistent but i'd say it's close enough to be considered an MMO

trust me, if you can play GW1 with other players (possible if you make friends on MMOchamp) then its really really fun