Page 22 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's possible. Though I tend to want specific types of temps. Basically when I used it, it was on my old E5200 and it maybe dropped the temps by 10C, so instead of the CPU running at 60-65C, it was doing 50-55C. =/
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy View Post
    you compared both REFERENCE cards which doesn't give an accurate comparison, the graphics card i mentioned above even beats the stock 680 gtx.
    They're both Asus DCII I'm sure there isn't that big of a difference. Don't get me wrong it's a great performing card but again by no means much better.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2012-06-27 at 06:13 AM.

Herald of the Titans Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    They're both Asus DCII I'm sure there isn't that big of a difference. Don't get me wrong it's a great performing card but again by no means much better.
    the cards u compared were not.
    Milk was a bad choice.

2013 MMO-Champion User of the Year (2nd runner up)

Deleted
    the cards u compared were not.
    No the ones I compared was reference... I'm saying the one you mentioned and the one in the suggestion build are both Asus DCII.
    Last edited by mmocca5d152c38; 2012-06-27 at 09:31 AM. Reason: spelling

Ron, you're claiming it's better. If it is, post some damned links that even slightly prove it. Anything else is simply stupid, particularly when you then have a go at Notarget for linking anandtech.

Going by the link to techpowerup elsewhere, I still don't favor the card's performance. At about 60 bucks less it's a good purchase though.
    Last edited by Drunkenvalley; 2012-06-27 at 08:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    not sure why ur adding so much hostility to this discussion. i wasnt going "at" notarget by any means. i just wanted to point something out.

<Snip>

The insult at the end is unnecessary. - noteworthynerd
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-06-27 at 04:22 PM.
    Milk was a bad choice.

Deleted
    marest, replace the asus 7970 dcii with asus gtx 670 dcii top. it's cheaper and a much better card.
    Got anything to back this up with? Sure it's cheaper, but "a much better card"... I'd like some benchmarks.

Also, I don't really like to be "commanded". If you want to make a future suggestion do as Xuvial: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post17315527. Simply stating "do this, it's better" will not suffice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe just better for the money? I don't know. =S Considering how the 680s and 7970s, at least were on par. I don't know if that is still true or not, I have not been keeping up. I personally have no interest in a 7970 or 680/690 now that the 670s are out and proving to be quite the contenders for money-to-horse power ratio.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    ASUS built a monster video card with the ASUS GeForce GTX 670 DirectCU II TOP. The factory overclock boosted the performance so much that it out performed a stock GeForce GTX 680 in nearly every game we tested,
    http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/...card_review/10

For one, think there are other reviews with about the same results. Only problem is it most likely won't OC that well, compared to a 680/7970/7950.

Users that expect to get this video card and overclock it themselves should not expect to see much higher operating speeds. The factory overclock pushed the card close to its limitations

Deleted
    You can make that argument for almost any card. Fact is, a Radeon 6870/6950 or a GTX 460/560 Ti is enough to play most games at high/ultra, 1920x1080, at a solid framerate - today.

Also, I really don't get what the fuss is about here. Take a look at the 1200 build; there is the precious GTX 670. Add in a SSD and the 1200 build is propably as "high-end" as anyone really needs to go. But that's a discussion needed to have with the individual consumer, and not in general. The builds are there as guidelines, stop looking at them with a narrow mind; they are general guidelines/estimates of what components you can look to get with a given budget - not what people should essentially end up buying. I choose to have AMDs current flagship (save the GHz edition) in the ~$1500 build because it is a great card. At the same clock, it performs within margins of a GTX 680.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-06-27 at 11:55 AM.

Deleted
    I think all the builds look pretty solid. I was just giving a review supporting Rons "suggestion".
    Which is understandable, you will get about the same performance for less money (and in this case a better cooler when compared to the evga ones)
    But i fully understand these are just guideline No need to get all up set about it (altho ron should have put it differently )

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Also, I don't really like to be "commanded"
    trust me, the last thing i want to do is command a mod. i was just giving a suggestion.
    Milk was a bad choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    trust me, the last thing i want to do is command a mod. i was just giving a suggestion.
    Then word it differently in the future, that's all he's asking you to do.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Then word it differently in the future, that's all he's asking you to do.
    sorry if my "wordage" offended anyone.

o.O
    Milk was a bad choice.

Deleted
    Alright, let's stop this.

Ron, I value input and I encourage feedback on these builds - I really do. Doing all the research and checking tons of components yourself can get extremely tiresome, so getting input from others is valuble. All I ask though is that you include some sort of justification (for example a benchmark or a review) to back up your claim. Your wording was a bit, well, commanding, but absolutely not so that I was offended. If I came across as upset I apologize.

Also, us moderators are just regular posters. We are not given any special privileges, really, and are not "above" anyone on these boards - we just help the administration to manage the forums, make sure everyone follows the rules and to help keep the discussions civil. The only person(s) you should worship is Boub (and perhaps Chaud).

For everyone else, I don't like that you show underlying hostility towards someone that's just attempting to make a suggestion; feedback that could potentially make the sample builds better. Remember, the discussion boards are for everyone. Don't be elitist.

Hey Marest, a couple of questions + suggestions.

Why do you have such an expensive PSU in the "Gaming 1550" rig? Wouldn't the 520W Seasonic do the job aswell?

Could you add a build recommend for a modelling / 3d artist with NVIDIA Quadro / Tesla + a lot of RAM & fast CPU? I see these being requested for daily in the Finnish forums.

Could you add a question to the computer upgrade section's 'Read this' post, that would basically be 'Do you plan to OC?'

Aren't the 7970 and 680 faster (the 7970 in particular) than the fermi workstation cards?

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Aren't the 7970 and 680 faster (the 7970 in particular) than the fermi workstation cards?
    In Max12 they are, but in some software you still benefit more from the old Quadro- series.

Deleted
    @Hirv3s
    The Workstation builds used to have Quadro or FirePro cards in them, but I decided to leave them out and have "open choices". It was causing too much confusion amongst not so tech-savvy people.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I'd also like to skip the Quadro and FirePro cards altogether as they are cards directed towards a very specific user and I believe it would be better if the workstations were left with "open choices"; the crucial parts (e.g. sound and graphic cards aimed at music or video production) should be hand selected for the specific user's intentions rather than given as an example.
    As for the PSU, when you're spending almost $1600 on a new computer I see no reason not to get a very good, reliable PSU. You could technically use, for example, the PSU from the 650 build in all the builds without major issues. The same can be said about the case.

15+ Year Old Account
    so i was checking my newegg wish list to get a tally on how much my build is gonna cost me and the video card i was gonna buy for the build ^budget gaming build 550^ is out of stock on newegg any other card for this build or should i wait for it to go back in stock