Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Fuzzeekee
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantii View Post
    Other reference cards are A) Not the same design and B) are LEAGUES quieter. Also, when in an actual, closed case, reference cards are much quieter than what is pictured in the video - especially during gaming and not some ridiculous FurMark explosion.
    ANSWER:

A.)

Looks like someone has a reference design:
    ... however, I'm one of those crazy people who actually prefer reference design for the fact that it exhausts air outside the case.
    Also, even XFX's reference design is nice... it's nothing more than, well, the reference design.
    B.)

Here you talk about your noise problems with your 6870.
    On the subject of noise levels, yes, the reference cards can get very loud when under extreme loads.
    The fan on the reference cooler leaves a lot to be desired. How so? While it does allow the 6870 to operate relatively cool, it does so with a tremendous noise penalty. More so than the cards of the past - this is a screamer. Not just loud, but "nails on a chalkboard" loud when run to 100% of its speed potential. On the other hand, the fan on the HD 6850 was audible but was nowhere near what the reference design had to offer. -overclockersclub.com

Link: http://www.overclockersclub.com/revi...00series/3.htm

----------------------------------------------------------

also, I don't have heat problems, nor do I have circulation problems, those are your own fabrication and skewing of what I've said thus far. My preference to video card design says nothing about my actual case and its airflow, which I'm also willing to bet is superior.
    Answer:

I already have a stupid hot north bridge, I don't need hot air from my GPU making things hotter. I live in Florida, it gets hot as hell here, I have so much positive pressure in my case, it's retarded. The faster I can get hot air out of my case, the happier I am.
    He doesn't need hot air from his GPU making things hotter:

Okay? What's your point? Reference design video cards run hotter than non-reference design? Way to state the obvious, I guess.
    According to these pictures below of a top vent, much of the air will go back into your case.

http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/Gallery/...-guide.aspx/19

And if we refer to this:
    The VRM temperature on the card measured 81°C which is very low compared to previous cards we've tested, and the GPU core stabilized at 90°C — acceptable, but a bit on the high side. The extra heat generated by the card also put more thermal stress on the rest of the system, heating up both the southbridge and CPU by an additional 6°C.

On page4 we will see you are lying and misleading everyone, but that's not new: http://www.silentpcreview.com/article1104-page4.html

----------------------------------------------------------

Unless you have some ridiculous airflow coming in from the front and top, having that side fan as an exhaust is actually choking your parts. I'm willing to bet that it's actually drawing air from the potential pool from your video card and causing your video card's fans to work harder for the same amount of air. Good chance your video card's cooler's fans will die before the actual video card does.
    Aren't you the same guy that wanted to look at my power bill after I claimed it was 38$? O_O ...Why would my video card fans fail? You don't need a wind tunnel to pull air out of your case.

You've failed to back up your "facts" in just about every thread you've posted in thus far. Just sayin'.
    On top of backing up all my facts. I just used your posts to back them up

---------- Post added 2011-11-08 at 02:04 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by obiwannknowlton View Post
    Warning, complete computer build novice here. I have a couple questions on this gaming build (from the samples at the top of this thread):
    That's absolutely wonderful wow O: ! NICE PSU! In my country NCIX will charge you 50 bucks extra to put it together, install your OS, and then ship it. I never buy from newegg or non-local retailers because I'm not american, so I'm not sure about your situation ...But I'm pretty sure any enthusiast shop would do that for you for a fee of some kind.

@ the 1.5GB - 2GB video cards -> Large frame buffers will accommodate for the best possible settings that your GTX 580 will deliver. I skimped on my frame buffer years ago, and I felt sad once my cards were older. They really only matter for high resolutions and post-processing (anti-aliasing, etc)...As soon as you crank up the post-processing it fills up your frame buffer fast as hell. Up to you really, that's a nice cooler which is needed on a monster card like that. 1.5GB is decent. I have a 2GB one on my radeon, but it's a much cheaper card than yours, and I have different preferences.

Blu-ray: Practically all of these new ones are good. There's no terrible ones like BENQ on the list thank god:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...eId=1&name=12X

You might be forgetting SATA cables too...I'm not sure what accessories come in the motherboard box, you'll have to check with staff or someone else. Could be like my MSI board, that had no SATA cables in the box. Luckily I had some already.

Deleted
    Alright, enough with the indirect insults and thread derailing. I already warned you in another thread; this is not acceptable. If you want to continue discussing the matter, I suggest you create your own thread.

If you have suggestions on improvement or want to discuss the sample builds, feel free to do that in a constructive and civilized manner.

They started it

What about adding a category for workstations? There could actually be a few different builds, especially a budget build now that there are FirePro cards that are around the $200 range.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    OCZ has basically outsourced their quality control to customers, that's why they sell stuff cheaper than anybody else. On the other hand the failure rate is not 23% or anywhere close to the number of whiners in Newegg. Only semi-reputable statistics I've seen puts it to somewhere between 6-8% (while other manufacturers are in 1-3% range).

If you can accept the risk of getting DOA device and going through the RMA hassles, OCZ gives unbeatable gb/$.
    On their own forums OCZ had the balls to officially state that they maintain a <1% failure rate on ALL their SSD's. Alright I can't complain (yet) because my drive is chugging along fine but seriously, where did OCZ pull that from >_>
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    What about adding a category for workstations? There could actually be a few different builds, especially a budget build now that there are FirePro cards that are around the $200 range.
    Not a bad idea. I was planning on upgrading the 2500 build and split it into 2000 and 3000 in a few weeks time and add a SB-E chip to the 3000 build (I still need to know the price and the performance in games of the cheaper chips). But, it might be wise to include some "real" workstations (the 1200 render build is arguably "a cheap workstation") that goes beyond "gaming" and focuses entirely on running multi-threaded application; e.g. 3D rendering.

I'm not entirely sure what cards to pick for what price-point though, so perhaps someone could help me. Here are some picks:

For higher-end workstations:
    PNY Quadro 4000 ($780): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814133324
    ATI FirePro V7900 ($700): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...irePro%20v7900

For mid-range workstations:
    PNY Quadro 2000 ($450): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814133353
    ATI FirePro V5900 ($430): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814195106

Paired with a GPU for gaming (say $250):
    PNY Quadro 600 ($170): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814133354
    ATI FirePro V4800 ($160): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814195096

Budget (thinking for a $1000 build):
    PNY Quadro 400 ($125): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814133387
    ATI FirePro V3800 ($100): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814195095

Comments?
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-11-10 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Not a bad idea. I was planning on upgrading the 2500 build and split it into 2000 and 3000 in a few weeks time and add a SB-E chip to the 3000 build (I still need to know the price and the performance in games of the cheaper chips). But, it might be wise to include some "real" workstations (the 1200 render build is arguably "a cheap workstation") that goes beyond "gaming" and focuses entirely on running multi-threaded application; e.g. rendering.
    For a "real" workstation, you could toss out the GTX580 and throw in something like this: ATI 100-505648 FirePro V5900 and still keep it around the same price. Or to keep with Nvidia, a PNY VCQFX1800-PCIE-PB Quadro FX 1800 768MB - or keep the GTX580 since it's about on par with the FX1800 in a workstation application.

Looking at the cards, there are even lower priced ones, but I'm not so sure about those...

10+ Year Old Account
    The heck is up with the single DVI slot in those? Should have atleast two DVI instead of HDMI considering the price on those cards.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    The heck is up with the single DVI slot in those? Should have atleast two DVI instead of HDMI considering the price on those cards.
    Not sure, you'd think workstation cards would be OMFG MONITORS!

I'm not too sure, Marest Hopefully we'll get some people who know more about this stuff? Or we could scour the web for reviews

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    On their own forums OCZ had the balls to officially state that they maintain a <1% failure rate on ALL their SSD's. Alright I can't complain (yet) because my drive is chugging along fine but seriously, where did OCZ pull that from >_>
    I believe you got your Vertex 2 before they started making their Vertex 2s poorly. =X
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Fuzzeekee
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    For higher-end workstations:
    PNY Quadro 4000 ($780): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814133324
    ATI FirePro V7800 ($630): http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814195098
    Replace v7800 w/ v7900 -> the newer one has full displayport and is current gen for not much more. It's also better in every way and is made to "compete" with the 4000.
    Replace FX 1800 w/ quadro 2000 -> newer again, almost the same reason as above.
    Replace quadro FX 580 w/quadro 600 -> Newer, faster, cheaper (more available probably)
    Replace FX 380 w/400 -> same price, nvidia's new low-end flagship model which boasts 5x the rendering speed of a GTX 580 consumer card.

Note: v4900 is newer/near that price of the 4800, but you have to special order it. I can get it in my country but for some reason it's not on newegg? :S
    I'm not sure who would care for this note, but If was serious about CAD I would be very careful. I own an intuos4 (didn't impulse buy it ) which I paid 400 bucks for, and I have mostly sketch/paint software so I can't comment on having any of these. I don't have mudbox (can't afford it yet), so I haven't yet purchased one of these cards.

That's all I can really think of, the rest of the list looks pretty solid.

---------- Post added 2011-11-09 at 07:35 AM ----------

Displayport is better in every way though who cares about any of these features on these cards is a whole 'nother question.

The HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 1TB – $59.99 in the 1000 gaming build actually costs $159.99, upping the build to around 1100. You may want to look into this at some point.

We kinda know. I think Marest should just prefix his post with a statement ala this:
    "Harddrives are extremely expensive at this time due to the flood in Thailand."

Deleted
    The big red, bold notice isn't enough?
    A special/temporary notice: Due to floods in manufacturers facilities HDDs are currently skyrocketing in price. I will not update this list to accumulate for the fluctuating prices. Read more in this thread: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...ce-Rise-Likely
    I also went ahead and added two workstation builds; one for ~$1000 and one for ~$2000. Would like some feedback on those.

Sorry, I didn't think to go check the post; I figured he wasn't silly enough to remark it if there was a notice... -_-

Deleted
    Added another extreme build (Enthusiast 4000):
    Extreme Enthusiast 4000
    MoBo: ASUS Sabertooth X79$339.99 Review
    CPU: Intel i7 3960X$1049.99
    RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 2x4GB x4$219.96
    GPU1: EVGA GTX 590$749.99
    GPU2: EVGA GTX 590$749.99
    SSD: Crucial M4 120GB$196.99 Review
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 1TB$59.99
    PSU: Corsair AX1200$299.99
    Heatsink: Noctua NH-D14$85.99 Review
    Case: Corsair 800D$279.99 Review

Estimated Total Price – $4033

Recommended for:
    Extreme enthusiasts with too much money. This
    is a monster with enough power to gain
    consciousness and kill you.

As a small note, I'm not sure if I should have it listed with GTX 580s in 3-way SLI or (as it is now) with dual GTX 590s. Further, I'm thinking of including one of the cheaper SB-E CPUs in the Workstation 2000 build but will have to do some more research first.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-11-18 at 10:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Have fun Marest, it's in stock.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121470

---------- Post added 2011-11-18 at 11:21 PM ----------

Sorry Marest, don't hate me, but you should just add this just in the insane case someone is interested. :P

Here I did some legwork:

Deltrus' Extreme Badass $7,000+ Enterprise Build

MoBo: ASRock X79 Extreme9 LGA 2011 $355
    CPU: Intel i7-3960X $1,050
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) x2 $1,400
    GPU1: Asus MARS II $1,500
    GPU2: Asus MARS II $1,500
    SSD: Kingston HyperX 120GB SATA III SSD x2 (RAID0) $470
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1-2TB $150
    PSU: Silverstone ST1500 watt $350
    Heatsink: Custom Water Cooling loop, don't air cool this beast! (lots of $) (Courtesy of Cyanotical's beautiful computer.)
    Case: Xigmatek Elysium $220
    If someone makes this I WANT PICTURES! > A Lian Li case or Case Labs case would be excellent, as well. M8/M10 anyone? Hey Cyanotical! Time to break the bank again. :P

Idk if one could get water-blocks for the MARS II, they would likely have to have them custom-made, but I'd personally water-cool this CPU for SURE.

Here's an article about the motherboard, DAMN it is SEXY.

---------- Post added 2011-11-18 at 11:25 PM ----------

I just noticed, the ASRock X79 Extreme9 looks longer than a mATX but shorter than ATX. O_o Is it just me?
    "A flower.

Dang Marest, I should have been on these forums a few days ago ha. Thanks for the info.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I'm thinking my rocking $7,000 rig may actually need a second PSU.... it's just so damn powerful. 2 MARS IIs is a lot... and then the 3960x.... not sure if 1500w would do it.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    A 750w can handle two 580's so 1500w can easily handle that system with tons of OC room to spare. Power consumption doesn't climb linearly as you increase the system's performance, and that's not even factoring that nothing could even push at system to max consumption. PSU calc puts two 590's + two 3930x's at ~1300w max.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-11-19 at 11:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Two 590s =/= two MARS IIs. ;D
    "A flower.