Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Fixed. Thanks for the input.

Because Z77 is a more improved platform, and the i5 3570K a slightly better CPU?
    Think he probably meant "why don't you use the 109 dollar Z77 motherboard and the 3570K in the 950 build as well as the 1050 build as they come out at the same price?"
    Last edited by Butler to Baby Sloths; 2012-07-30 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Because Z77 is a more improved platform, and the i5 3570K a stronger CPU?

For the 3400, just buy two sets.
    Was more thinking that it is the same total price so both builds should use the 3570K with the Z77 mobo, there is no reason not to.

300, 400 and 450 builds all have room in the budget to go for the Spinpoint f3 500GB if you wish to change it, it is $5 for 180GB more space.
    Last edited by n0cturnal; 2012-07-30 at 11:22 PM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Also extreme gaming 3400 isn't using quad channel RAM.
    Dual channel RAM can be made to run in quad simply by being put in quad slots and vice versa.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Dual channel RAM can be made to run in quad simply by being put in quad slots and vice versa.
    How do you put 2 sticks in 4 slots at the same time? ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    How do you put 2 sticks in 4 slots at the same time? ^^
    Maybe some unknown BIOS setting?

Deltrus you have some explaining to do :P
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-07-31 at 07:39 AM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

10+ Year Old Account
    He wrote, "4x4GB" so I am guessing he means you buy 2 of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233284

Which is what he has hyper linked. You buy two of those, stick all four sticks in either the light tan or dark brown slots, boom, quad channel.
    "A flower.

He wrote, "4x4GB" so I am guessing he means you buy 2 of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820233284

Which is what he has hyper linked. You buy two of those, stick all four sticks in either the light tan or dark brown slots, boom, quad channel.
    Yes, he changed that after I told him. Before it was another set of 2x8GB.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, he changed that after I told him. Before it was another set of 2x8GB.
    OOoooooh. Okay.

I don't know why he doesn't just go for 4x8GB or hell, 8x8GB. ;p That rig is already begging to be used for a bit of more tasking things, as well. lol
    "A flower.

OOoooooh. Okay.

I don't know why he doesn't just go for 4x8GB or hell, 8x8GB. ;p That rig is already begging to be used for a bit of more tasking things, as well. lol
    16GB is already overkill for gaming, 32GB and more will be a waste of money for most people.

10+ Year Old Account
    16GB is already overkill for gaming, 32GB and more will be a waste of money for most people.
    I did say though, more tasking stuff. ^_^ That computer would be great for stuff like photoshop/video editing, and the like. The extra RAM would help tremendously.

Beeessiiiiiides.

It's already $3,400~!!! What's a few bucks more? :P
    "A flower.

Why overkill for the sake of overkill? 8GiB is much more than plenty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    Why overkill for the sake of overkill? 8GiB is much more than plenty.
    Remember, this is an 8-DIMM slot X79 3930K-based build we're talking about here. 8GB of RAM would be silly, imo. The build is obviously meant for a bit more than just gaming, thus it should be properly prepared as such.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    They are still just sample builds. 4x4GB is enough for most users - if you specifically need more then buy more.

Deleted
    Hey I just have 2 quick questions:

1. How much extra power would I have to work with on the 3400 system? Also, would the power suppy from the 2700 build be ok instead? (Corsair 850)

2. What are your thoughts on these cards and this company (PoV) ?
    PoV-TGT GeForce GTX 680 UltraCharged - 2GB
    PoV-TGT GeForce GTX 680 Charged - 4GB
    I would link them but apparently I can't post links yet because I am so new.
    Their website is pointofview-online.com
    Last edited by mmoceb5febb62f; 2012-07-31 at 05:56 PM.

Remember, this is an 8-DIMM slot X79 3930K-based build we're talking about here. 8GB of RAM would be silly, imo. The build is obviously meant for a bit more than just gaming, thus it should be properly prepared as such.
    Yes. I am aware. Assuming you choose an 8DIMM one, but 8 GiB is still more than plenty. 16GiB is a fine suggestion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Umbranox View Post
    Hey I just have 2 quick questions:

1. How much extra power would I have to work with on the 3400 system? Also, would the power suppy from the 2700 build be ok instead? (Corsair 850)

2. What are your thoughts on these cards and this company (PoV) ?
    PoV-TGT GeForce GTX 680 UltraCharged - 2GB
    PoV-TGT GeForce GTX 680 Charged - 4GB
    I would link them but apparently I can't post links yet because I am so new.
    Their website is pointofview-online.com
    1) A reference GTX680 uses ~175w fully stressed, so lets put an MSI Lightning (or PoV TGT) at 220w due to the fat overclocks on those + you pushing it further. So lets give 440w for both cards. i7 3930K eats 230w at loads, so lets give it a massive 300w with full overclocks (being really generous here). That's an *absolute possible maximum* power usage of ~740w with everything overclocked as far as it will possibly go - and by this I mean that no matter what game you play at max settings, the rig still won't break the 650w mark. That leaves a good ~150-200w more to play with.
    And FYI this is a Seasonic Platinum 860w, a PSU that can run completely with even 900-1000w loads thanks to sky-scraping standards of the Platinum series. Won't even break a sweat.
    So yes, a Corsair 850 will also comfortably do the job. There's pretty much no way to make that kind of build use more power...unless you add a third GTX680 (bad idea and terrible scaling). The Platinum was probably thrown in because it's the best PSU in the world for the 800-900w range and pretty much most components in the 3400 build are screaming "overkilllll".

2) As for Point of View cards, I personally have no experience with them. But their 3-year warranty looks solid, the phase designs are improved and their cards come with huge factory overclocks...I think those are some of the highest factory OC's I've seen actually. It just means that there's jack-all OC room left and you won't have to push much further to hit the limit.
    Also keep in mind those GTX680 Ultra/charged coolers are triple-slot. Things can get fairly tight with triple slot cards in SLI.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    As for the point of view custom coolers, those should be the ones arctic makes

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    1) A reference GTX680 uses ~175w fully stressed, so lets put an MSI Lightning (or PoV TGT) at 220w due to the fat overclocks on those + you pushing it further. So lets give 440w for both cards. i7 3930K eats 230w at loads, so lets give it a massive 300w with full overclocks (being really generous here). That's an *absolute possible maximum* power usage of ~740w with everything overclocked as far as it will possibly go - and by this I mean that no matter what game you play at max settings, the rig still won't break the 650w mark. That leaves a good ~150-200w more to play with.
    And FYI this is a Seasonic Platinum 860w, a PSU that can run completely with even 900-1000w loads thanks to sky-scraping standards of the Platinum series. Won't even break a sweat.
    So yes, a Corsair 850 will also comfortably do the job. There's pretty much no way to make that kind of build use more power...unless you add a third GTX680 (bad idea and terrible scaling). The Platinum was probably thrown in because it's the best PSU in the world for the 800-900w range and pretty much most components in the 3400 build are screaming "overkilllll".

2) As for Point of View cards, I personally have no experience with them. But their 3-year warranty looks solid, the phase designs are improved and their cards come with huge factory overclocks...I think those are some of the highest factory OC's I've seen actually. It just means that there's jack-all OC room left and you won't have to push much further to hit the limit.
    Also keep in mind those GTX680 Ultra/charged coolers are triple-slot. Things can get fairly tight with triple slot cards in SLI.
    Thanks for your quick reply. That's a huge help! Thanks for pointing out that those cards are triple slot. I completely missed that. I would prefer to go with the MSI 680 but prices are ridiculous here in Ireland. The build here says 599 dollars for the card, lowest I have seen is about 650 euros and go as high as 744 euros :O I might go for the PoV card and get a second if I have the space (and money xD ) later. Thanks again for your help!
    Last edited by mmoceb5febb62f; 2012-08-01 at 10:54 AM.

Deleted

Recommended for:
    Budget gaming build that can tackle most
    newer games. Enough if you only play World
    of Warcraft.

What is 'enough'? Could you please give me an idea of how much FPS I would expect to get in a 25 man raid and with what settings? Thanks in advance