Page 29 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    As usual amazing work with the housekeeping Marest
    Totally agreed with nVidia being a no-go in the sub-$250 range, I get the feeling they're really not caring about low/midrange cards...which is odd because MOST gpu sales occur in the $150-299 range, that's the extent for what a typical gamer/student can afford.

By the way, I noticed that Extreme Gaming 4230 build (giggidy), I reckon it doesn't need "gaming" in there. 680 SLI is already overkill for gaming, so 690 SLI doesn't even begin to define overkill. I would re-title it "Enthusiast 4230" or something along those lines. Or maybe "Batman's Web Browsing PC 4230".

Also good move on changing out the old discontinued drives with Caviar Blues, great drives.

I'm probably getting picky here but what's with that $90 case in the $230 build lol? I know it comes with a 150w PSU, but the more expensive builds below it use case+PSU combinations that still only total $60-70.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-09-16 at 12:29 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    I'm probably getting picky here but what's with that $90 case in the $230 build lol? I know it comes with a 150w PSU, but the more expensive builds below it use case+PSU combinations that still only total $60-70.
    It's simply because I trust the PSUs in the Antec ISK cases. I have worked with the ISK 300, ISK 310 and ISK 100 more than a few times and know that they are excellent cases for the task at a respectable price point. I would love to recommend a sub-$50 case for that build, but without finding proper and reliable information regarding what they offer I simply can't stand behind them.

The best option in my opinion would be a picoPSU in an even smaller case, like for example the Streacom F1C, but then the price-tag will greatly increase. I guess I picked a solution I know is reliable and let the build be $20-40 more than I would have hoped and wished. If the end-user wants to cut costs by going with a cheaper solution that's totally fine of course - that particular build can easily go below $200, perhaps even $180.

As for the most extreme build on the list, I simply changed out the two 680s for the 690s to represent the fastest graphics card currently available to the average consumer (or well... you know what I mean). I went with two because... well, there's a bunch of people that come in here and say "money isn't an issue" and all you have to do is point to it and say: "here you go". They will either go "thanks" or "well... I was thinking more along the lines of $1000...". It also gives the sample builds a nice range; from low-end to really, really high-end.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2012-09-16 at 01:05 PM.

Deleted
    Quoting the first paragraph of the original post:
    A suggestion is to take a pre-made build here, research the components, do some edits and then make a thread asking for assistance so that the more knowledgeable members here can aid you with your planned purchase and make sure you get the best possible components and performance for your money.

The "Computer Build / Uprage Help" sub-forum was created for posts such as the one you just made; create a new topic and I'm sure you will get the help you seek.

Also, I'd suggest checking these two threads:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-build-Read-me!
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Threads-Links

10+ Year Old Account
    edit: nevermind

10+ Year Old Account
    Extreme Gaming 4230:

you need to change the case, the Cosmos2 wont fit push-pull up top and clear the motherboard

Or alternatively Marest has to remove two of the fans mentioned. Either way, I agree with your sentiment.

Deleted
    Hm... is there a case that will fit 40 fans?

On a more serious note, I'm considering adding the TJ11 to the last build on the list. I've heard some mixed opinions regarding the Cosmos II.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    Hm... is there a case that will fit 40 fans?
    The Corsair 300R, of course! TTL said it would fit!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Hi,

I play wow,skyrim and occasional BF3. I am planning on my first computer build but do have a decent background in putting them together just never done it all myself. My budget is around $1,000 within a $100 dollars or so either way. I would like to get at least a gtx660 or better since the prices imo seem pretty close together and so 660ti,or gtx670 and have enough psu to sli in a couple months. I run 1080p@1920 resolution at the moment on a 32'tv. I have all the peripheals already just needed the tower itself. I do not need a large hdd so 500gb would be more than enough with a nice sized ssd with it possibly 128-256gb. If something can come Oc'd that would be preferable to me but not a necessity. Any other ideas would be great.

Any opinions on watercooled cpu setups? New-egg is having some great deals atm,http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellS...8-_-10232012_2.

And i see that AMD is a lot cheaper but seemingly not even close to the Intel chips. Is amd really that bad or slow?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by isadorr View Post
    Hi,

I play wow,skyrim and occasional BF3. I am planning on my first computer build but do have a decent background in putting them together just never done it all myself. My budget is around $1,000 within a $100 dollars or so either way. I would like to get at least a gtx660 or better since the prices imo seem pretty close together and so 660ti,or gtx670 and have enough psu to sli in a couple months. I run 1080p@1920 resolution at the moment on a 32'tv. I have all the peripheals already just needed the tower itself. I do not need a large hdd so 500gb would be more than enough with a nice sized ssd with it possibly 128-256gb. If something can come Oc'd that would be preferable to me but not a necessity. Any other ideas would be great.

Any opinions on watercooled cpu setups? New-egg is having some great deals atm,http://www.newegg.com/Special/ShellS...8-_-10232012_2.

And i see that AMD is a lot cheaper but seemingly not even close to the Intel chips. Is amd really that bad or slow?
    Copy-paste all that into a new thread under Computer Build help and we'll get the discussion underway
    This thread is more about feedback on the sample builds themselves, we use these builds as references.

See on the first page:
    A suggestion is to take a pre-made build here, research the components, do some edits and then make a thread asking for assistance so that the more knowledgeable members here can aid you with your planned purchase and make sure you get the best possible components and performance for your money.
    Also use the format mentioned in the sticky.

Ok thanks for the help. I was interested in the $1000 dollar build you have listed but was trying to see if there was anything i could downgrade and put into another area such as a ssd and smaller hdd.

Deleted
    Updated sample builds:
    Pretty much just a price update as not much has changed since last month. I've included a SSD in the ~$1200-1300 build now, as well as upgraded to a 256GB SSD in most of the higher end builds. As always, I use a place holder SSD that I know is reliable and well recommended for all builds (currently the Samsung 830) - note that there are alternatives.

A newer Trinity HSA solution takes over in the budget Office/Family build. Llano is not really worth picking up anymore as the A4-3300 (2.5GHz) goes for $50, while the A4-5300 (3.4GHz) goes for $65 (there's a pretty substantial performance gap between these two and I would seriously recommend paying those extra $15).

Deleted
    With the new drivers in mind, isnt it better to switch out the 2x 680s for 2x 7970 GHz editions? In the extreme gaming build. Not sure about pricing, but they could be a bit cheaper as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmmm yeah everytime I see 7970 Ghz pop up in benchmarks it seems to out-do a 680. I dunno what's going on there or whether we have a solid case for rendering 680's pretty much pointless (if 670 didn't already do that lol).

The new AMD drivers are pretty nuts.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    With the new drivers in mind, isnt it better to switch out the 2x 680s for 2x 7970 GHz editions? In the extreme gaming build. Not sure about pricing, but they could be a bit cheaper as well.
    Micro stuttering is lower on nVidia cards last I checked. SLI driver support is also better than Crossfire (again, iirc). Framerate isn't everything.

Hello and thanks for the great list. I am looking to upgrade my brother's computer as it is quite ancient and he was looking at a budget of around $800US. Using your Gaming 790 as a guide, would something with those similar components be able to run sc2 / wow at high settings and still be able to stream at a good view-able quality (720+)? If you have any advice otherwise please do let me know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tekoix View Post
    Hello and thanks for the great list. I am looking to upgrade my brother's computer as it is quite ancient and he was looking at a budget of around $800US. Using your Gaming 790 as a guide, would something with those similar components be able to run sc2 / wow at high settings and still be able to stream at a good view-able quality (720+)? If you have any advice otherwise please do let me know.
    Since this can be answered quickly, here it is - yes the build is definitely enough for WoW/SC2. And yes you'll be able to stream very well, it's using the (almost) fastest gaming CPU in the market.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Since this can be answered quickly, here it is - yes the build is definitely enough for WoW/SC2. And yes you'll be able to stream very well, it's using the (almost) fastest gaming CPU in the market.
    That's good to know, thanks.

Deleted
    unsure if this has already been covered in the thread or not, but to purchase the mid range computers in your list, around $700-$900 it is going to cost me almost the same in GBP to get these parts to the UK, are there any suggestions for this. primary example being the $870 build costing £730 instead of the conversion price of around £530.
    Thanks

I understand what you're saying, lifedoom, but I'm not sure where you're going...