How to allocate more memory to minecraft?

Hi. I've tried to redownload minecraft many times, deleted all files etc. but I still seem to get the "minecraft has run out of memory" thingy. I have 8GBs of ram on my computer and i think that should be enough. I've tried the Xmx1024M -Xms512M code in a notepad and saved it as an .bat file. Can anyone help me?

15+ Year Old Account
    Easiest way:

Start -> Control Panel -> Java -> Click the 'Java' tab -> Click 'View' under 'Java Runtime Environment Settings' -> Click 'System' tab -> Under 'Runtime Parameters' put the following:
    Code:
    -Xms1024M -Xmx2048M -jar
    The 1024 is the minimum memory that will be allocated to Java
    The 2048 is the maximum memory that will be allocated to Java

These values can be anything, but I'd recommend 1024 (1GB) for the minimum and 2048 (2GB) or 3072 (3GB) for the maximum depending on how much RAM your computer has

This changed the Java memory allocation for the whole system, so it's not the most ideal way to do it, but if you have extra RAM it's the simplest way to do it.
    Last edited by llDemonll; 2011-09-27 at 06:32 PM.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    Easiest way:

Start -> Control Panel -> Java -> Click the 'Java' tab -> Click 'View' under 'Java Runtime Environment Settings' -> Click 'System' tab -> Under 'Runtime Parameters' put the following:
    Code:
    -Xmx1024M -Xms2048M -jar
    The 1024 is the minimum memory that will be allocated to Java
    The 2048 is the maximum memory that will be allocated to Java

These values can be anything, but I'd recommend 1024 (1GB) for the minimum and 2048 (2GB) or 3072 (3GB) for the maximum depending on how much RAM your computer has

This changed the Java memory allocation for the whole system, so it's not the most ideal way to do it, but if you have extra RAM it's the simplest way to do it.
    You've got it backwards. -Xms is starting, -Xmx is maximum.

15+ Year Old Account
    oops, copy-paste that code line from a website, didn't realize he has the max first and starting second
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

There many ways to do so...the one above never worked for me nor did some others i googled.

The one that did work was making a .bat file

What you need to do is make a .txt file and open it and paste

javaw -Xmx2048m -Xms1024m -jar "C:\Users\your pc name\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Minecraft.exe"

save it as .bat

When you double click it it should bring up the cmd window and launch minecraft...same rules apply from the above post if you need to allocate more up the Xmx

I was having the same issue, are you using a x64 OS? If yes, installing Java for x64 fixed it for me as i was running a x86 version before. Might wanna try that aswell
    Inspecting raid instance floors since 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post
    There many ways to do so...the one above never worked for me nor did some others i googled.

javaw -Xmx2048m -Xms1024m -jar "C:\Users\your pc name\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\Minecraft.exe"

save it as .bat

When you double click it it should bring up the cmd window and launch minecraft...same rules apply from the above post if you need to allocate more up the Xmx
    When I double click it, it brings up an Error-Window: "Could not create the java virtual machine"

Why does this happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Fumantau View Post
    When I double click it, it brings up an Error-Window: "Could not create the java virtual machine"

Why does this happen?
    Did you quite literaly copy and paste the line of txt? if so you'll need to change the part that says your pc name to what your pc name is to find out just open the start menu and it should be under your icon...could also be that your minecraft folder is in a different place in which case you need to find out where its located and type in the path which is the whole part starting from C:\

Quote Originally Posted by Greandal View Post
    I was having the same issue, are you using a x64 OS? If yes, installing Java for x64 fixed it for me as i was running a x86 version before. Might wanna try that aswell
    What he said.

Deleted
    What the guy above said, bear in mind that if you update java in your browser (assuming you use a 32-bit browser), java will automatically download the version to fit the bbrowser, so you will have to manually download the file then install it, just google it.

I have 12 gb what memory i have to put in?

10+ Year Old Account
    buy more ram?! ive got 24gig and no problems

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mariobros333 View Post
    I have 12 gb what memory i have to put in?
    Anything 2GB or over should be more than enough to run vanilla minecraft. More wont hurt but isn't necessary. If you're still having memory issues at that point check your java version etc.

Simple solution: Go to http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...-options-news/, download Magic Launcher, start it up, go into Setup --> Advanced and give Minecraft the memory you want it to have.
    True, but the difference is that in GTA3 you're only shooting (and robbing, murdering, having sex with, etc) pixels. In WOW you get the pleasure of dealing with some of the most despicable human behaviour you'll ever witness.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagwin View Post

save it as .bat

it doesnt freaking work!

Quote Originally Posted by Reuo View Post
    Hi. I've tried to redownload minecraft many times, deleted all files etc. but I still seem to get the "minecraft has run out of memory" thingy. I have 8GBs of ram on my computer and i think that should be enough. I've tried the Xmx1024M -Xms512M code in a notepad and saved it as an .bat file. Can anyone help me?
    same issue, still cant find out how to fix it

Deleted
    hmm interdasting