Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepitobenito View Post
    I could definitely see a Mesmer with a sort of druidic twist, or maybe borrowing from the lightweight and flamboyant combat style of the Dervish. A scythe-wielding telekinetic psychic could be pretty interesting. I do recall Arenanet saying the final profession was extremely controversial...
    im sure the weapon setup will be similar to ele and necro

MH: Sword, scepter
    OH: dagger, focus
    two hand: staff

that allows for the caster goodies and the sword/dagger setup could allow for illusionary weaponry (it seems to have been a big favorite with the devs, i remember them all giddy on ME/W flurry with a scythe for the nightfall skill preview) plus mesmers always seem to have the look of sophistication, so it could be seen as "dueling". also eles have double dagger and necros use axes for their "martial" caster weapons so a sword would be a good way to round out the weapon sets among the scholar professions. they aren't going to create a new weapon type just so only one profession can use it

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say Mesmer, but I'm hoping for a Martial Arts Monk class.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

I have never played GW1 so I just want to ask those have.

What kind of a profession is Mesmer?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reward View Post

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Mesmer
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Been said before, but I'd go with Mesmer as well

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    I see, thank you!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Reward View Post

they fight by attacking their opponent's mind, in GW1 they had three trees, Domination, Illusion, and inspiration

Dom is basically all about punishing opponents for doing certain things (backfire will deal a lot of damage if the enemy casts any spell, wastrel's worry damages them if they do nothing at all) or stopping them from doign so (diversion puts the next skill used on an additional 1 minute cooldown in addition to the normal one, shame and guilt prevent beneficial spells and harmful spells and steal energy respectively, the tons of interrupt skills) and some energy burning

Illusion is kind of anti melee but it encompasses tricking the opponent (stopping melee attacks and damaging with ineptitude and clumsiness, stopping adrenaline gain with soothing images, making them run, attack and cast slower with sum of all fears, shared burden, and many other skills) heavy health degen- think DoTs(illusionary phantasm and the like) or conditions(fragility, fevered dreams, phantom pain, hypochondria, epidemic)

Inspiration is all about energy manipulation and self healing, you can drain enemy energy with energy tap and energy drain, ether feast to use it to heal and many others. there is always energy management skills like the mantra skills and channeling

in short you both damage them and stop them from hurting as much by subtly controlling how and what they do

The Mesmer, if indeed the 8th profession, will undoubtedly be different in GW2, though. With no form of energy (mana), the concept of denial (mana burning/draining, essentially) will either be scrapped or changed significantly. Hexes, another Mesmer staple, are also gone, so we will likely find hexing re-purposed in another form of degenerative attacks or debuffs.

It has been loosely hinted that the Mesmer will dabble in machinery, making use of the pistols we have received with the steampunk evolution Tyria has undergone in 250 years. It is also assumed that the Mesmer will be able to use swords, allowing for a sort-of illusionist fencer build. In GW1, we had Illusionary Weaponry, and in the early concept art for Mesmers, they held a sword. It is my guess that this new Mesmer will stay true to the GW1 Mesmer, still very controlling and manipulative. Though, I'd expect either the sword or pistol to come into play, if not both. It's all speculation at this point, but expect the reveal in the coming months - my guess late October.

10+ Year Old Account
    sword and pistol mesmer would be awesome. If it's mesmer, i'm playing it regardless, though, since it was the class I most enjoyed in gw1 by far
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope and think its a Mesmer :3

I'm really thinking it will be a retooled monk. I remember them saying the last class could be "controversial". PLUS--Look at the melee to ranged ratio at the moment. Generally speaking you have
    4 ranged - Ranger, elementalist, necromancer, engineer
    2 melee- Warrior, Thief
    1 hybrid- Guardian

I know you could debate that some of these classes like ranger can perform melee or thief can perform ranged but for the most part it is 4-2-1. If they add mesmer it will be 5-2-1... and that doesn't seem right. So my vote is for a melee style monk with some light based attacks... he could be bare handed or have a couple weapon choices.

Well, it's another Scholar class.
    So I am assuming it's Mesmer.
    My friend has a theory that its an "Arcanist". But that seems too much like a Ele.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pridefox View Post
    I'm really thinking it will be a retooled monk. I remember them saying the last class could be "controversial". PLUS--Look at the melee to ranged ratio at the moment. Generally speaking you have
    2 melee- Warrior, Thief
    1 hybrid- Guardian

I know you could debate that some of these classes like ranger can perform melee or thief can perform ranged but for the most part it is 4-2-1. If they add mesmer it will be 5-2-1... and that doesn't seem right. So my vote is for a melee style monk with some light based attacks... he could be bare handed or have a couple weapon choices.
    Why not a melee-style Mesmer? I find the previously posted 'fencer illusionist' idea to be pretty cool.

I'd also toss Ranger and Thief both into the Hybrid section and Engineer into a section of its own, but...*shrugs*

One of the cool things about GW2 is how it's hard to classify things into strict groupings.

Just Your Average Lurking Huntard LOLPRIEST forum lurker now.

10+ Year Old Account
    My location is irrelevant to your interests
    If you look at the background on the profession page you see a shadow silluette of the class, and it looks very clothy/castery http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/

Quote Originally Posted by BananaInsane View Post
    If you look at the background on the profession page you see a shadow silluette of the class, and it looks very clothy/castery http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/professions/
    Yeah, it is widely speculated that this shadow is a Mesmer (clothy/castery), with a floating sword in hand, further playing to the idea that the Mesmer has evolved beyond just a "caster" and now takes part in a sort of illusionary fencing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BananaInsane View Post
    The Eighth profession has confirmed to be a "Scholar" profession. So, good spotting! :>

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silveria View Post
    Yeah, it is widely speculated that this shadow is a Mesmer (clothy/castery), with a floating sword in hand, further playing to the idea that the Mesmer has evolved beyond just a "caster" and now takes part in a sort of illusionary fencing.
    Just as I said, it's the Swashesmer! :-p
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

2 melee- Warrior, Thief
    1 hybrid- Guardian

Gonna call BS on this a bit. Ranger is ranged? Are you sure? Warrior is melee? Are you sure? Thief is melee, are you sure? They're all hybrids.

2 melee- Warrior, Thief
    1 hybrid- Guardian

As others have pointed out, you really have to grasp the idea that you can't just simply pigeonhole GW2's professions as "melee" or "ranged". Just some examples:

Ranger: Greatsword (2H)
    Elementalist: 2 Daggers
    Necromancer: Axe + Dagger
    Warrior: Longbow
    Thief: 2 Pistols
    Guardian: Staff

The only profession that you can kind of categorize as "melee" or "ranged" is Engineer, and that's simply because their weapon options are limited to Pistol and Rifle (+ Shield). Though, they have kits, including grenades, mines, and a flamethrower, so even then, it's a stretch.

10+ Year Old Account
    You know, guys, I still -totally- think it's gonna be Mesmer, but, uhh...you ever notice in the silhouette how, like the armor she's wearing looks an awful lot like a lot of the GW1 Monk Armors?

I'M JUST SAYIN'.