Guardian vs. Defiant (for those who have experienced both)

Just a quick question to those who have played both sides - is there any distinguishable difference between the two player-base-wise?

I remember back in vanilla WoW, Horde was the place to be for PvP, while many PvE'ers rolled Alliance toons. Is this the same if Rift based on your experiences?

From my personal experience
    Guardian - Alliance
    Defiant - Horde
    Also.. Defiant's main city is way cooler than Guardian's!

Deleted
    Well, I found Defiant side more likely to give useful answers in general chat than Guardians. Haven't noticed any other difference and seem overall more friendly, but my Guardian is not yet 50, so can't say if there is difference on lvl 50.

In pvp it's standard 'omg guardians/defiant(depending on which side you are on at the moment) always lose'.
    Last edited by mmoc9e672ac44c; 2011-09-27 at 01:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Whoever wins pvp is simply depanding on if you got into a good, or bad group.
    I'm defiant myself and when it was Whitefall stepps weekend, i won almost all the fights while pushing them back to their Graveyard.
    When it's not a weekend i just slack in Port from time to time, sometimes we get royally pwnd, sometimes we slaughter them.
    Point is that if you're lucky, both in low or high level bracket, you'll win, if not, you'll either be in an even match, or farmed.

Deleted
    In my opinion it's really dependable on what group you will get. I was winning massivly on defiant for example, almost every BG, but same on Guardians, while people were complaining their side just sucks at battlegrounds..

Bloodsail Admiral WaitingforSWTOR's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would not consider Rift as a PVP game, seriously

Unbalance takes another dimension in that game
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomChickn View Post
    The reason the smart people are miserable because their head hurts so much from facepalming at all the stupid people, its so simple.

Quote Originally Posted by WaitingforSWTOR View Post
    I would not consider Rift as a PVP game, seriously

Unbalance takes another dimension in that game
    I do a lot of PVP, and I would say the PVP is about the same as other games in this genre. PVP in these types of games is always going to be unbalanced. Like the lead dev said, balance is a journey, not a destination. The one thing I do like about Rift PVP compared to other similar games, is I don't die nearly so fast (I play all classes), and at least in my grouping there is more communication in the war front.

As far as guardian vs defiant, they are really about the same from what I've seen. Raid progression seems about the same from what I've seen. PVP wise it really depends. Sometime I'll lose 10 in a row, other times I'll win 10 in a row. At 50, I seem to win about 1/2 the matches. Losses are usually against partial premades, which are just as painful as in other games.

They are both quite dull to be honest. As for player-base, it's all pretty even though, at the beginning, people flocked to the Defiant side because they wanted to be the "bad boy/girl" or "rebel" or whatever. After that, there are horror stories of pvp failures for defiants, though my battlegroup seems pretty even with win/losses. Whiners abound on both sides.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mesank View Post
    Also.. Defiant's main city is way cooler than Guardian's!
    I just started my fist Defiant and i was running about stupid trying to find a way upto some npc to hand in a quest. I was getting well pissed before i found the transporter. Its a wacky city after Sanctum.

For PvP i have to say its a toss up. I nearly always seem to win Black Garden on Guardian side at 50 but nearly awlways lose Port Scion. The other two are about 50/50.

For the rest i would say its about the same really. Good and bad on both sides but my Defiant experience is only uptio lvl 14 thus far.

10+ Year Old Account
    In your fish aquarium eating your fish flakes. NOM NOM
    Im probably gonna say the same as most other people here. Guardians and Defiants both come from the same population base (gamers). Its what ive seen in wow, played both sides for a long time and there wasnt really a difference in quality between either.

Now warfronts, i just plain have bad luck and always seem to lose. I even tested it one day in wow played my horde for half the day, played my ally for the rest. Both are on the same server and i lost EVERY bg i was in that day.

So yea go figure.

I noticed that Defiants were more serious and better overall at World PvP because of the odds on the shards I played on. Guardians seemed to have a more dense population which made it seem like they were better at PvP.

A community is almost always based on the server more than the faction. Guardians on one server might be helpful while on another they could be douchebags, and for Defiant it could be flip-floped.
    As far as skill in PvP, it was mostly 50/50 for me. Being one faction or the other gives no significant advantage in PvP, and I don't think skilled / bad PvPers are likely to choose any one over the other, there's no evidence to support that.