Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ideas for alternate beta invite systems

What if people who have Diablo 2 and LOD on there battle-net account got an automatic beta invite?
    Another idea I had was people who go to Blizzcon + have the virtual ticket also get an auto invite.

I'm sure there would have to be more rules involved like how long you have had Diablo 2 and LOD, for example you can run out and buy the chest and get into beta for 30$.

The problem is it's supposed to be completely random, and they only want a certain amount of people.

Because way more people have Diablo 2 + LOD than they wish to send invites to currently.
    We're whalers on the moon,
    We carry a harpoon,
    But there ain't no whales
    So we tell tall tales
    And sing our whaling tune

I Agree with both I read some where there is a chance Blizzcon atendees may get a code for accesses if I search, I might find out where someone said that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poxxy View Post
    Because way more people have Diablo 2 + LOD than they wish to send invites to currently.
    This and d2+lod is like $15 to grab from the shops these days.

I think what he means is, those of us who have been playing Diablo 2 for ten years should be in the beta...

I think the main issue is that they want a wide variety of people to test the game, including people who never played diablo 1 or 2 or other Blizzard games. Sure they want people who have too, but they want a range of people just like they want a range of systems to test it out on. Even inviting everyone who has played diablo for a few years would likely result in a LOT of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    I think what he means is, those of us who have been playing Diablo 2 for ten years should be in the beta...
    Your false sense of entitlement intrigues me. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    And your false accusations confuse me. I believe the person you quoted was only clarifying the OP's post, not stating he/she should receive one.

If your post was actually aimed at the OP, then yah, sorry, you are correct. I agree.

Beta invites are fine the way they are done. They have a specific # of people with each wave that they want to monitor and Blizzard has specifically said (i don't currently have the source, but I did see the post) that they mainly invite based on computer specs to get a wide variety of machines to test the game on for any issues across a large spectrum.

No only does that make the most sense, but you couldn't achieve that with some "requirement" plan to get keys. Sucks for those that don't get keys, but random is fine. Find a friend that has a key and there is a very good chance they will do the Friend of beta players invites like they did with SC2.

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Considering the beta is only meant to test the servers, I don't feel entitled to anything. Anyone with a computer is just as useful to Blizzard right now as people who actually know what they're doing and care. I'm just really sad that testing the servers apparently takes them six months...

I have Diablo 2 + Lod and I have 3x Cd keys attached to my battle net account. I have all WOW. I have all Starcraft. I have Warcraft I-II-III-Frozen Throne in my account.
    AND YET I STILL DIDNT GET AN INVITE FOR BETA. My download speed in their system is 1 mbps. My PC is really good. SO what else should I do to get AN INVITE. I didn't get cata invite too. A friend of my had a recruit a friend account lvl 60 one. (only wow classic) and Cata beta hit to that. My friend never played diablo in his life and he got the Diablo 3 beta inv too. THis is bullshit and it has to end...
    To be a king, first one should be a man!

suwâyyah Eu Darksorrow

You just have to get lucky, mate. From what I understand, it goes like this;

They want X people for the beta overall.

They take 1/4X people from range A of computer strength, 1/4X from range B, C, D. So, no matter how great or awful your machine is, you still only fall into one speed category, and have no better or worse chance than anyone else. Furthermore, how many games you have/how much you play them/how many heroic bosses you've killed doesn't matter. Well, that's what they claim anyway.

With this method, they can get a test of how the game runs on all sorts of computer and internet speed mixes. And that's really all they're after this time, they don't care how much/in depth you play. Apparently their internal team can take care of all the content testing this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cel View Post
    And your false accusations confuse me. I believe the person you quoted was only clarifying the OP's post, not stating he/she should receive one.

If your post was actually aimed at the OP, then yah, sorry, you are correct. I agree.

Beta invites are fine the way they are done. They have a specific # of people with each wave that they want to monitor and Blizzard has specifically said (i don't currently have the source, but I did see the post) that they mainly invite based on computer specs to get a wide variety of machines to test the game on for any issues across a large spectrum.

No only does that make the most sense, but you couldn't achieve that with some "requirement" plan to get keys. Sucks for those that don't get keys, but random is fine. Find a friend that has a key and there is a very good chance they will do the Friend of beta players invites like they did with SC2.

I do not think these people are entitled to be given beta access the thread was intended for people to think of creative ways to give it out. I understand now how my OP came across and it was not meant to sound like "GiVES alle da Dialo foallowrs B@eta....!!! it was just a crazy "prob never gonna happen idea" im sorry for the confusion.

Considering the beta is only meant to test the servers, I don't feel entitled to anything. Anyone with a computer is just as useful to Blizzard right now as people who actually know what they're doing and care. I'm just really sad that testing the servers apparently takes them six months...
    I think they've just found out there's a lot worse off than just servers.

Beta is for testing, not for people who likes to pew pew and cant wait for release. Your skills in game doesnt matter.

Deleted
    Apparently their internal team can take care of all the content testing this time.
    Do you expect them to put the entire game up to test? Becuase that would just be silly

Deleted
    Sorry to burst so many bubbles at a single time but beta testing has 2 main goals. One of which is much bigger than the other. The first goal is to find bugs and test systems as you guys have noted, but you dont find nearly as many bugs or technical info about the game as you would in the production phase and internal development. The second reason is to create media, to make the game popular. Think about it, would you all be talking about Diablo as nearly as much if there were no beta at all?

Im betting a lot of the talk that you have about Diablo is around the idea of getting a beta key, or talking about a stream of a beta or something like that (not most of the talk, but a fair chunk of it). A beta testing for the public is basically a huge teaser for the rest of us that didnt do it. And the heart wants what it cant have ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Wafflemonster View Post
    I do not think these people are entitled to be given beta access the thread was intended for people to think of creative ways to give it out. I understand now how my OP came across and it was not meant to sound like "GiVES alle da Dialo foallowrs B@eta....!!! it was just a crazy "prob never gonna happen idea" im sorry for the confusion.
    I see. And sorry for misinterpreting your post.

OT then, I personally think the best thing Blizzard could do to make their fans happier in the Beta invites would to be keeping track of past Beta invites. So when a new beta came out or something, people that want to test and are willing to, but have not yet, have priority over those that have before. I have had plenty of friends over the years that seem to get into pretty much every Beta, when others sit there checking their email to never receive a invite.

Now while that would be nice and all, its still sorta a waste of time and resources. Blizzard is focused on making the game better and for this, their current system works fine and is probably the most efficient in not getting anal about beta invites.

15+ Year Old Account
    As long as they invite me, which they did I am happy about the system
    Regarding the game it was as mindnumbingly boring as D1,2. Running inside a dark dungeon or a dark wood, no atmosphere what so ever.
    I wish BLZ took a look at Dungeon Siege on how to make a good gamefeeling.

Will give Beta another shot once PvP is open or more chapters cos this initial content was pissboring, sterile and ugly as hell.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

I've had 4 copies of DII and DIILOD. I've only added the most recent one to my account, due to the option never existing before. So that would mean, even though I purchased one of the first releases of DII, I wouldn't be entitled? I'd rather see them stick to random. Even though random never hits me.