[Music] Unto the Locust - Machine Head ; Thoughts?

Just curious as to what you guys think of the new Machine Head album Unto the Locust. I personally can not stop listening to it. To me, it is one of the best albums written in the past 10 years.

So what do you think?
    Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)
    To prevent confusion over whether you’re playing a card game or returning to town, the Hearthstone will now be called a Homerock.

Best album written in 10 years?....that's a pretty big statement. I've only ever owned one Machine Head cd and it was Burn My Eyes.
    Adam: Lookin straight grizzly.
    Blake: Bitch betta have my honey.

It's fine, but not even close to be ''the'' best.

Haven't heard it yet, but if it's on the same level as The Blackening, it will probably be pretty damn good. Currently busy with Mastodon's The Hunter on repeat ;x

Decent, but nowhere close to being the best of this year, let alone 10 years.

Deleted
    I've heard most of the new releases, in the metal genre, this year and so far this is the best album. I'm personally not a big fan of Machine Head, although I do like The Blackening, however they did deliver on this album. Both the music and the vocals improved on this and most of the songs are spot on.

I liked the first 5 songs of the album and still listen to them and that is more than I can say for most bands that released albums this year.

Gonna make a quick comparison off the top of my head:
    Children of Bodom - Relentless Reckless Forever - 3 songs stood out, 1 of those songs I still listen to
    Scar Symmetry - The Unseen Empire - It was okay but it didn't meet the expectations, don't listen to it anymore
    Symphony X - Iconoclast - It was good, could've been better but it delivered. Still listen to it
    Trivium - In Waves - This album felt like quantity > quality, it has very few good songs, sometimes listen to them
    Opeth - Heritage - Touched it, regretted it, left it

Basically the above stands for almost every album that got released this year. Machine Head made a great record, delivered and met the expectations (even crushed them at some points^^).

TL;DR. It's awesome, the best this year

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralIdea View Post
    I've heard most of the new releases, in the metal genre, this year

Scar Symmetry - The Unseen Empire - It was okay but it didn't meet the expectations, don't listen to it anymore
    Symphony X - Iconoclast - It was good, could've been better but it delivered. Still listen to it
    Scar Symmetry was only okay in my book too. Really miss Christian Alvestam, they just haven't been the same since he left. Symphony X though...killer album. One of the few metal albums this year I've been totally happy with(the other 3 being Cypher Seer's Origins, Amon Amarth's Surtur Rising, and Anthrax's Worship Music).

One thing though, you've heard "most" of the new releases in the metal genre this year? Considering how many albums that is, I do find that a little hard to believe. How many of these have you heard, OOC:
    Anthrax-Worship Music
    Cypher Seer-Origins
    Amon Amarth-Surtur Rising
    Powerwolf-Blood of the Saints
    Artillery-My Blood
    Tyr-The Lay of Thyrm
    Falconer-Armod
    Seven Witches-Call Upon the Wicked
    Jag Panzer-The Scourge of the Light
    Turisas-Stand Up and Fight
    Hell-Human Remains
    Destruction-Day of Reckoning
    Evergrey-The Glorious Collision
    Motorhead-The World Is Yours
    Saxon-Call to Arms
    Vicious Rumors-Razorback Killers
    Scheepers-s/t
    In Flames-Sounds of a Playground Fading
    Benedictum-Dominion
    UDO-Rev Raptor
    Edguy-Age of the Joker
    Morton-Come Read The Words Forbidden
    Work of Art-In Progress
    Power Quest-Blood Alliance
    Pagan's Mind-Heavenly Ecstasy
    Amaranthe-s/t
    Rhapsody of Fire-From Chaos to Eternity
    Ilium-Genetic Memory
    Within Temptation-The Unforgiving
    Lechery-In Fire
    Nightrage-Insidious
    Sabaton-Wolrd War Live:Battle of the Baltic Sea
    Arch/Matheos-Sympathetic Resonance
    Twisted Tower Dire-Make It Dark
    Sinister Realm-The Crystal Eye
    Portrait-Crimen Laesae Majestatis Divinae
    Dream Theater-A Dramatic Turn Of Events

I haven't heard all of those either, they're just all things I know that came out this year, and no offense, but I imagine there's more than a few you haven't heard there as well.

To the OP, the album is good, I enjoy it, might even make my year's top 10. That said....it's not even the best album of September for me(Anthrax tops it), even less best album this year(Anthrax, Symphony X, Amon Amarth, and Cypher Seer all top it, and a couple other discs might), MUCH less the best of the past 10 years.
    Last edited by Stormcall; 2011-10-01 at 02:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralIdea View Post
    I liked the first 5 songs of the album and still listen to them and that is more than I can say for most bands that released albums this year.
    Opeth's album was progressive rock, not metal.

And have you heard the Fleshgod Apocalypse or Septic Flesh releases? Easily better than Machine Head's average album.