Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    LMAO just as i am reading this thread, i get my email to redownload and return to beta testing of swtor! good times ahead

Like many people I hope TOR crushes WoW, or at least gets in heavy competition.

Blizzard has gotten fat, lazy and conceited in its monopoly over the genre. Like you said I hope it picks up the game a little.

Blizzard may actually have to work for the people rather then draining wallets. Blizzard with integrity? People can dream but I don't see it happening. The PetStore and D3's shitty RMAH has forever cemented Blizzard as a terrible company for me.

---------- Post added 2011-09-28 at 08:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kushtrim View Post
    SWTOR needs about 500k subscribers to be profitable. It is going to be the largest mmo launch ever.. It already has 1.5 million people subscribed for general game testing and pre orders for the game has shattered all records for EA one of the best publishing companies out there. Analysts predict around 3-4 million subscribers after launch. It is based on one of the biggest ips out there, Star Wars. Star Wars alone is far far bigger then Warcraft or Blizzard for that matter. It has been in development for 6-7 years by Bioware, one of the best developers in the video game industry, the same company that created Knights of the Old Republic, argubly the best rpg of the decade and best xbox title for the first xbox generation. Bioware has also devloped numerous game of the year titles such as Mass Effect 1 & 2, Dragon Age Origins etc.

Yes, I think it will be very successfull. People need to keep in mind that 10 million subscibers is not a prerequsitie to success. 500k+ for this game is.
    I sure hope that is all true. You should cite resources if you don't want to be shred to death from wrong Blizzard worshipers.

I hope that the WoW whinners don't spoil SW for the first couple of months like they did in Rift. All chat at the beginning was Rift vs WoW spam...

Deleted
    Wow wont die until "Titan" is released imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Karjis View Post
    Wow wont die until "Titan" is released imo.
    We really dont care when / if WoW dies. This forum and this topic is about Star Wars.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    We really dont care when / if WoW dies. This forum and this topic is about Star Wars.
    Agreed. Let's try to steer off the "WoW Killer" aspect, please?

Most people here don't want SWTOR to be a WoW Killer. Granted, there are people that grew disappointed/frustrated/disgusted/whatever with WoW after spending so much time playing it. They wish it nothing but ill will now, choosing to use their time bashing it without end on forums, but that's not the majority. The only reason anyone should be wishing for WoW's demise would be if there were some strange law that said "(insert your favorite game here) cannot exist, as long as there is a single blizzard subscriber". There's not. Let's put this dog to sleep, and stop kicking the dead, mutilated horse.

*Edit* Fixed grammatical retardation.
    Last edited by Lord Kristivas; 2011-09-28 at 11:33 PM.
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/

The MMO market is going to change a lot in the next year. My view on the subject from a previous thread:

I think WoW was a fluke. I think we will never see another "king" again after WoW is gone, and this is only for the best. Competition drives innovation. The golden age of MMOs was, IMO, when we had lots to choose from. Once WoW took over, there wasn't much innovation. The most innovative thing we've seen in that past 5 years has been the rise of free to play, which has been driven by the desire to avoid directly competing with WoW.

I hypothesize that in the next year, we're going to see this:

SWTOR comes out, and succeeds. WoW suffers a blow to their sub base, but stays on top.
    SWTOR continues to expand, WoW bleeds subs very slowly.
    GW2 arrives. A small dip in both WoW and SWTOR's playerbase occurs, but most people play both GW2 and either WoW or SWTOR
    Tera/TSW arrive. Both achieve Rift/EvE status (successful, but smaller than the giants)
    We see lots of innovation as Blizzard, Bioware, and Arenanet scramble to attract new players.
    Norn Mesmer: GW2
    Rattataki Sniper: SWTOR

I have no problem completely ignoring KoToR 2 the game pretty much terrible in comparison to the first one.
    There must be no retirement with our backs to the wall, And believing in the justice of our cause, Each one of us must fight on to the end.

We determine the guilty, We decide the punishment.

Deleted
    Completely depends on the endgame. For me at least. To be precise: How good is their encounter-design team and how sound is the pve endgame in general. WoW has set the bar pretty high when it comes to deliver unique and interesting bossfights. Not really impressed so far by what i've seen, but here's hoping for the best. Competiton is very much needed in the MMO-market right now.

Quote Originally Posted by VenomousCarnage View Post
    Like many people I hope TOR crushes WoW, or at least gets in heavy competition.

Blizzard has gotten fat, lazy and conceited in its monopoly over the genre. Like you said I hope it picks up the game a little.

Blizzard may actually have to work for the people rather then draining wallets. Blizzard with integrity? People can dream but I don't see it happening. The PetStore and D3's shitty RMAH has forever cemented Blizzard as a terrible company for me.
    Do you even know who funded the development for this game?

If it becomes successful, it will be no different to what WoW is now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakaya_Kilrogg View Post
    Agreed. Let's try to steer off the "WoW Killer" aspect, please?

Most people here don't want SWTOR to be a WoW Killer. Granted, there are people that grew disappointed/frustrated/disgusted/whatever with WoW after spending so much time playing it. They wish it nothing but ill will now, choosing to use their time bashing it without end on forums, but that's not the majority. The only reason anyone should be wishing for WoW's demise would be if there were some strange law that said "(insert your favorite game here) cannot exist, as long as there is a single blizzard subscriber". There's not. Let's put this dog to sleep, and stop kicking the dead, mutilated horse.

*Edit* Fixed grammatical retardation.
    Well put. Also people shouldn't hope for WoW to die. I would hate to see what would happen to the company that did release an MMO that "killed" WoW. We have all seen what happens to a company and game when they have such a stranglehold on the market.

Cata has been Blizzard's poorest expansion thus far in my and a lot of people's opinions, I mean they have gone as far as to make excuses for not releasing the abyssal maw instances with a horribly weak excuse of they didn't want to dilute the fire theme of Fire Lands or that they were satisfied with the ending of Vashj'ir even though they hyped that instance a lot and the ending wasn't even closed it was a very open ending. Also lets not forget the release of the two re released Troll dungeons that were the only content for patch 4.1, this in my opinion was all brought on by the fact that WoW didn't have much competition until Rift's release and now with SWTOR and GW2 on the horizon.

I think Alatian is right, we won't see another king of MMOs. I think the MMO player base will scatter to a bunch of MMOs instead of one having such a drastic lead over all of it's competition or at least I hope that is what happens.

Love Star Wars but as a few mentioned, for me if theres crap endgame, like that eternity vault raid only, doubt I will stay past the 30 free days ~
    Also I'm very concerned with the speed of updates, while I understand theres plenty cutscenes(thank god for spacebar skip:P) and such I hope patches come out much faster than WoW, say every 3 months new raids instead of 7months zzzZZZ
    Guess Rift has spoiled me for now since they have new raids every 2months lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    Love Star Wars but as a few mentioned, for me if theres crap endgame, like that eternity vault raid only, doubt I will stay past the 30 free days ~
    Also I'm very concerned with the speed of updates, while I understand theres plenty cutscenes(thank god for spacebar skip:P) and such I hope patches come out much faster than WoW, say every 3 months new raids instead of 7months zzzZZZ
    Guess Rift has spoiled me for now since they have new raids every 2months lol.
    If you are not looking for story and quality, just empty quantity and endgame racing/grinding I don't think this is the game for you.

30 days you are "mastering" endgame raids? then yea you definitely missed the point of this game (and almost all good games in general)
    Last edited by VenomousCarnage; 2011-09-29 at 01:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Melanieshaman View Post
    LMAO just as i am reading this thread, i get my email to redownload and return to beta testing of swtor! good times ahead
    I envy you severely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Melanieshaman View Post
    Post constructively. -3clipse
    Last edited by 3clipse; 2011-09-29 at 04:23 PM.

Star Wars...Bioware...EA's Money...this game has a lot going for it.

It will be successful on release date. It's after a year that truly matters for an MMO. Most can't even make it that long without failing to keep a large amount of subscribers. My only issue with the game is the graphics and character models are mediocre. The game is still nice and all but it's like they set the bar at matching WoW's graphics and didn't strive to achieve much better.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree, it will be very successful. It'll draw people in from the MMO world but also from the Star Wars world. Everyone knows Star Wars. I found a light saber in my mom's drawer, that is how popular it is. I just can't figure out how to turn it on...

Deleted
    I'm pretty sure SWTOR and WoW can co-exist.

I hope it does well and proves to be a big mmo. This has all the right things going for it to be just that. Lets hope it proves to be what we all want from it.