Page 20 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancaspe View Post
    There will be endless rage from players about the voice acting from quest givers. What Bioware thought was a selling point, will be the games undoing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lolisa View Post
    Why do you think so?
    Pancaspe will likely never discuss reasonably, as he has no desire to play TOR anyways, like this other beauty amongst others he's littered various SW discussions with, all over MMO-C:

Thread question:
    Quote Originally Posted by PickledOnion View Post
    If you're going to play SWTOR: Are you a big fan of the Star Wars franchise and want to play the game because of that, or are you just a gamer who wants a new MMO experience, or maybe a bit of both?
    Pancaspe's answer
    I am a Star Wars fan, but have no desire to play a SW game.
    Yet he keeps coming back to disturb others.
    Last edited by Karteli; 2011-10-31 at 11:27 PM.

What is the most used word by gamers to describe something?

Annoying.

The vast majority never read quest text, forcing them to listen to voice acting will "be annoying"
    maybe for you with attention span of a squirrel on crack.

Be nice. -3clipse
    Last edited by 3clipse; 2011-10-31 at 11:37 PM.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by Bob from Accounting View Post
    Dude, swtor's main enemy will be a fucking kung-fu panda.
    No, their main enemy will be a company that can adapt, revise, and improve to meet competitors.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    What is the most used word by gamers to describe something?

Annoying.

The vast majority never read quest text, forcing them to listen to voice acting will "be annoying"
    Oh please. Just because YOU feel that way do not sit there and bunch everyone into the same category. Ever heard of RP servers? They thrive inside of wow, and many other games. There is a community of gamers who love story, and they love the lore. So don't sit there and try to make assumptions based on your OWN opinions for everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thornstar View Post
    Oh please. Just because YOU feel that way do not sit there and bunch everyone into the same category. Ever heard of RP servers? They thrive inside of wow, and many other games. There is a community of gamers who love story, and they love the lore. So don't sit there and try to make assumptions based on your OWN opinions for everyone.
    Yes but having to sit through them is another story. If they don't have a text alternative to quests and the like, doing a single quest/mission whatever, is going to take considerably longer.
    "The Tol'vir people must be really shy considering they don't ever speak to us.." -Zneebor LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Thornstar View Post
    Don't let him work you up, if you read his history, you'll see the pattern. Here's another one of his beauties, to help give you an idea of that person:

I feel sorry for the Blizzard haters, really I do. After Blizzard crushes SWTOR and GW2, what hope do they have.
    Report em and that's that. /shrug

15+ Year Old Account
    I am willing to give this thread about one more page before I close it. Get back onto the actual topic. Stop trolling, stop responding to trolls, stop making useless spam posts, etc. There have already been numerous warnings posted throughout this thread. If you have no constructive response to make, don't post.

Quote Originally Posted by Taiki420 View Post
    Yes but having to sit through them is another story. If they don't have a text alternative to quests and the like, doing a single quest/mission whatever, is going to take considerably longer.
    Alot of the fun will be getting to end-game. It's a new type of questing, and it looks really fun and immersive - it's likely to be very different from what MMO's usually come with. Gotta go into it with an open mind.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karteli View Post
    Don't let him work you up, if you read his history, you'll see the pattern. Here's another one of his beauties, to help give you an idea of that person:

Report em and that's that. /shrug
    yeah I also mentioned it earlier. All he does is one line troll fests. Not frustrated but would love for him to even attempt to debate something.

and Taiki- every quest from what we here is going to be engaging. If the quests are fun I do not mind it taking longer. Like a movie, so long as your entertained your good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    I agree, it will be very successful. It'll draw people in from the MMO world but also from the Star Wars world. Everyone knows Star Wars. I found a light saber in my mom's drawer, that is how popular it is. I just can't figure out how to turn it on...
    My good sir, you have made my day!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taiki420 View Post
    They play an incredibly important part in the game. Sure you can skip forward and just make random choices during the conversations and then look at your quest log, but what would be the point. A game actual puts the RPG back into MMORPG and all the detractors can say is "LAMMMMMMME WHY NO SKIP BUTTON!" There is just no pleasing some people.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taldred View Post
    Anyone who enters ToR - or most other MMORPG's for that matter - with the sole concern of reaching the endgame content as fast as possible is naturally going to get pretty bored. Maybe I'm just strange, but I always figured the best part of any game was exploring and soaking up the atmosphere and community at a leisurely pace.
    This is exactly the approach that is attracting my wife and I to the game. For us, the 'MMO' aspect is kind of secondary. What we're looking for is a fun and immersive RPG that we can actually play together. She's not a dedicated gamer in the same way that I am, but she does enjoy taking part in my hobbies. But most of the best games I've purchased over the last few years have not been multiplayer : I'm thinking of anything with an interesting story, from Dragon Age to Bioshock to Assassin's Creed.. even Oblivion. When she hears some interesting conversation taking place (like Alistair and Morrigan bickering, haha) she'll often come over and watch for a while, lamenting the fact that she "can't roll a character and join me".

In SW:TOR, we can team up and follow our stories as a couple of disciplined Jedi, or a Bounty Hunter and an Operative, or whatever. Sure, we'll group up with other players from time to time, since that often leads to some fun diversions, but endgame raiding and PvP just isn't a focus. We'll be playing it like multiplayer Dragon Age in space, hehe.

I can foresee a solid 6-9 months of subscription at the very minimum, if the game lives up to our expectations and we do multiple play-throughs as different characters.

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    They play an incredibly important part in the game. Sure you can skip forward and just make random choices during the conversations and then look at your quest log, but what would be the point. A game actual puts the RPG back into MMORPG and all the detractors can say is "LAMMMMMMME WHY NO SKIP BUTTON!" There is just no pleasing some people.
    some people just want their purples and to go round wtfpwning people, no real sense or point, literally, they're happy if they out gear one person and can beat the senselessly over and over, you see them in battlegrounds, they don't capture the flag or bases, they run around looking for players with less resi than them purely so they can beat on them, gaming sadism
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps

Quote Originally Posted by Bob from Accounting View Post
    Leave rogues and ferals alone!
    Despite the Pic, I am a rogue! I just follow mages and priests round in bgs... safest place to be
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps

In ME2 there are very few conversations you cannot skip (ie the vast vast majority are skippable even on your first playthrough and you can see the last thing the NPC said before you choose a conversation option), and I suspect the same would be the case for SWTOR.

Don't get me wrong - ME2 is my favorite single player game, and I am greatly looking forward to exploring every aspect of the SWTOR story. But by my 4th or 5th ME2 play through, I know what all the conversation options are, I know the responses, and I don't even have to look at the quest long to know where I'm going next - by that point I just click through most things, select the conversation option that gives me what I want on that play through, and am on my way.

So I can see where people come from wanting to skip stuff, though I wouldn't recommend it on peoples' first couple of play throughs, and I do believe there will be that option on SWTOR too.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GarGar View Post
    In ME2 there are very few conversations you cannot skip (ie the vast vast majority are skippable even on your first playthrough and you can see the last thing the NPC said before you choose a conversation option), and I suspect the same would be the case for SWTOR.

Don't get me wrong - ME2 is my favorite single player game, and I am greatly looking forward to exploring every aspect of the SWTOR story. But by my 4th or 5th ME2 play through, I know what all the conversation options are, I know the responses, and I don't even have to look at the quest long to know where I'm going next - by that point I just click through most things, select the conversation option that gives me what I want on that play through, and am on my way.

So I can see where people come from wanting to skip stuff, though I wouldn't recommend it on peoples' first couple of play throughs, and I do believe there will be that option on SWTOR too.
    Yea from what I've heard you basically can hold down the spacebar (or a similar button) and it fastfowards through all the conversation to your next conversation option.

Personally I don't know why people are against the voice acting. EVERY single Bioware game with it has done it amazingly. I mean I'm definitely going to be raiding (or operationing? We need to come up with a TOR version of that verb) in SWTOR, but I know for a fact that I'm going to enjoy the story and take my time while leveling up to enjoy the story and to make my character how I really want him through conversation options. There isn't a single Bioware game that I haven't loved (heh well except for DA2 which I only liked, and that would've been amazing if they'd have made more than one dungeon/beach path and recycled it over and over). I have faith in Bioware to make things right.
    Krael, Sith Council of Untold Prophecy

As much as people love tossing that cliche around, and yes it's been over used and beaten to death so hard it's become a cliche, why is it so evil that some people just don't care to sit through every once of voice acting? I read quite fast. I feel I'd much rather cut out the extra 2-3minutes of "witty" banter(or sometimes you just miss what they said) and get to the damn point of the quest so subtitles to me are pretty important as well as skipping. Not every part of every quest will be a cinematic master piece that left you hanging on the edge of your seat. Hell even if the quest/conversation is interesting sometimes I'd still prefer reading the dialogue and fast forwarding through the conversation to get back to playing the game or to rush to find out how it ends. Add in that if you level multiple characters many quests outside of your class quest are going to be shared so you'll have seen them at least once before and I'd be pretty pissed if I had to sit through it every time. But even if you're not forced to skip I guess there's just no pleasing some people .

Quote Originally Posted by Zachyveng View Post
    Personally I don't know why people are against the voice acting. EVERY single Bioware game with it has done it amazingly. I mean I'm definitely going to be raiding (or operationing? We need to come up with a TOR version of that verb) in SWTOR, but I know for a fact that I'm going to enjoy the story and take my time while leveling up to enjoy the story and to make my character how I really want him through conversation options. There isn't a single Bioware game that I haven't loved (heh well except for DA2 which I only liked, and that would've been amazing if they'd have made more than one dungeon/beach path and recycled it over and over). I have faith in Bioware to make things right.
    Some folks aren't looking for a mini-movie baked into the games they play. You don't really need a full length feature film to tell them to go kill 10 kobolds. It's just not what keeps them interested in the game, they like actually playing the game and the rhyme or reason as to why you're doing what you're doing is far less important then the enjoyment of going out and actually doing it. That's the appeal of TOR though is it offers the story if you want it, the ability to skip it if you don't, and solid gameplay to go with it. I'm excited for the story and I liked what I saw of it but you bet your ass I'm going to be fast forwarding through what I've already done and as I mentioned before sometimes I prefer reading just because it lets me get to the heart of the matter quicker to find out what happens next.
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-11-01 at 03:25 PM.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.

Quote Originally Posted by turlockmike View Post
    Swtor will surpass wow one day as the most played mmo. Not only is it an overall better game, but it's freaking star wars. i was just imaging the other day how many kiddies are going to ask their parents to buy this game for them. I had never even heard of "warcraft" until I played world of warcraft and I'm the majority. Warcraft is a very niche (large yes, but still niche) genre. Star wars captured an entire generation around the whole world and it can only get bigger.
    Star Wars Galaxies came out a year before WoW. It's shutting down in a month or two. Guess the Star Wars shtick didn't work out that well for them. (Coincidentally, SW:TOR's studio is mostly led by people who came over from the Star Wars Galaxies team)

Actually, that's not true at all.

Your theory hasn't really worked out for other Star Wars games either. Besides maybe the original arcade game from the 80s, can you think of any Star Wars games that did extremely well? KOTOR 1 was probably the most popular and it wasn't exactly a mega blockbuster.
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-11-01 at 03:26 PM.

Deleted
    To be blunt, I have to echo the concerns of a fair few other posters. I'll never understand why people complain about having to read text or pay attention to what a particular character is saying in a roleplaying game. I'm well aware that it isn't everyone's cup of tea, though I seriously hope ToR doesn't end up taking the focus away from plot and immersion in order to cater to the vocal minority who want instant gratification.

Treat it as something new and exciting, though in my honest opinon it's pointless to play an MMORPG unless you're willing to get involved in every aspect of the game. Be it PvE, PvP or simply knowing what the heck is going on in terms of the overall plot of a particular zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
    Star Wars Galaxies came out a year before WoW. It's shutting down in a month or two. Guess the Star Wars shtick didn't work out that well for them. (Coincidentally, SW:TOR's studio is mostly led by people who came over from the Star Wars Galaxies team)

Your theory hasn't really worked out for other Star Wars games either. Besides maybe the original arcade game from the 80s, can you think of any Star Wars games that did extremely well? KOTOR 1 was probably the most popular and it wasn't exactly a mega blockbuster.
    Guess you didn't actually play SWG. Given what Sony did to literally push and shove people out of giving them money for that game the fact that it's only shutting down now because of Lucas arts not wanting SWG and SWTOR to screw with each other and maintained profitability despite one of the worst gaming company's best efforts to ruin it is nothing short of a miracle. The Rogue Squadron series was very popular, Star Wars Battlefront also quite popular, The entire Jedi Knight Series especially Outcast and Academy also very popular, Tie Fighter vs X-wing also very popular in its day. Not every game has to set record sales or be over hyped to the point of idiocy to be a good game. Just because you can only think of one successful Star Wars game doesn't negate the successes of others or the size of the SW fan base.

Coincidentally: source or BS. I've heard of a couple of SWG devs going over, some from Warhammer and other MMOs, and plenty of Bioware's own people running the show.
    “Logic: The art of thinking and reasoning in strict accordance with the limitations and incapacities of the human misunderstanding.”
    "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others."
    Ambrose Bierce
    The Bird of Hermes Is My Name, Eating My Wings To Make Me Tame.