Page 24 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    ok on the subject of SWG, it died becuase the game itself was a buggy mess with a very unbalance alpha class, it was force to follow everything to the teth by what the timeline was like during the first 3 films, almost all expantions where petty mush made to sell with the movies, (one was release at the theather showing of ROTS and the other was release at the DVD release of ROTS) also biggest shit of all was the NGE, which petty mush force the game to add some tack on theame park stuff with ramdom key movie charaters and making the hard to get jedi into petty mush the "melee" class, they also steamline the classes and it was very mush rushed and tranform a good sandbox game into a bad theame park game.

so to the two people demanding on how SWG died, wow may have infulence some of it, but the NGE was throwing a bomb into the bonfire.

on the subject of SWG saying it communaty is weaker then wow's is laughable, right now on SWTOR.com the most active threads in the genreal star wars talk is the swg server meet ups, and the server threads are planing to all go on one server, also there is that popaler project where some guys are trying to bring SWG back pre CU/NGE. and i will be also playing with my old swg guild and hope to bring back some good times.

to say that the SWG communaty is weaker is wrong, it stronger and far more mature then wow's. and i played wow for 7 years and may still be playing it even when TOR is my main game.

Quote Originally Posted by Shekita View Post
    To the people that keep calling SW:TOR a "WoW clone" how exactly is TOR a WoW Clone?
    iLevel gear
    pvp type stat
    3 tree system
    questing x and y <--yes people say this makes it a WoW clone
    raiding <---yes this too falls under some peoples definition

Quote Originally Posted by mirodin View Post
    In order for SW:TOR to be successful it needs to have great expansions and patches. Having initial high subscribers doesn't mean anything, its a new MMo and its Star Wars ofc it's gonna draw people. If they manage to keep the game fresh and with new content launched regularly then it will achieve a status like WoW had in TBC. Until then judging it by videos and 1 hour of beta is just wrong. TOR won't be a game that will please everyone but it will make a lot of ppl happy.
    This is 100% correct. Remember all WARHammer had 800k on launch day also. I think Aion NA had even more on launch day. In my view no chance updates and hot fixes will come fast enough to make people happy, but we will see.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekita View Post
    To the people that keep calling SW:TOR a "WoW clone" how exactly is TOR a WoW Clone?

I really hope you don't consider quest objectives, quest givers, and the general MMO stuff that's in EVERY mmo currently a "wow clone" because FIRST off, most of the stuff came from Ultima Online and/or EQ. WoW isn't very original y'all, just because it's the first mmo you played, doesn't mean it's the first mmo.

So please, unless sw:tor has Deathwing in it or something, stop calling it a WoW Clone.

The game has just as many differences as it does similarities of WoW.

The only mmo I know that's NOT using the more traditional mmo formula is Guild Wars 2. Which I've heard mixed reviews from beta testers. Either you're going to like the sandbox style of gameplay GW2 brings, or you're going to hate it.

I've only got 20 or so hours of experiences playing SW:TOR but I can tell you...even within those 20 hours of gameplay, it ~never~ felt like I was playing anything WoW related.

Oh and funny story, the way they plan on having Monks play in MoP...is pretty much identical to how you play characters in SW:TOR. Does this mean I can start calling WoW a "sw:tor" clone once MoP comes out?
    SW:TOR is as much a wow clone as bayonetta is a GOW clone, same genre, same basic gameplay, but the flavor is different.
    Let's face it, every MMO game that comes out will be called a wow clone.

Also, GW2 isn't in beta yet so you couldn't have really heard mixed reviews
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    iLevel gear
    pvp type stat
    3 tree system
    questing x and y <--yes people say this makes it a WoW clone
    raiding <---yes this too falls under some peoples definition
    Rather minor and vague reasons.

1) iLevel has been in all MMOs, it's how they keep track of an items ranking. Everquest had it as did DAoC.

2) Not sure what you mean by that, but if your talking about resilience that stat has pretty much ruined WoW's pvp.

3) Questing has been in RPG games since before MMOs. But even before Everquest I believe UO had some quests in it as well.

4) Raiding in MMOs began with Everquest.

If anything all MMOs, including WoW can trace their roots back to Everquest.

TOR will be successful without a doubt.

How long will it be successful? Well that is a question that will be answered in time depending on how good BW is at developing content and keeping players entertained at max level.

The game is good as a standalone single player RPG and the story content is worth a play through at least 4 times and up to 8 times if you want to see the opposite faction. That alone warrants a purchase and a few months of subscription. Think KOTOR3 but with MMO aspects.

It has the best leveling of any MMO on the market, you don't really know your leveling for the most part. The cutscenes, story, voice acting, and character choices are all great and is a breath of fresh air.

What BW does with the MMO elements are going to point the game in the direction of long term success or mediocrity. Group heroic quests, flashpoints, operations and PvP are all important decisions that will make or break the success of the game.

There are 6 MMOs planned to release in 2012, so there will be plenty of competition for both WoW and TOR.

-The Secret World
    - GW2
    - Tera
    - Firefall
    - Blade and Soul
    - Archeage

Why do you think WoW is trying so hard to lock in players for 12 months?

Because next year there will be more competition and better competition in the MMO market than ANY other year previously.
    Competition is good for consumers and as an MMO gamer I welcome it, every developer who wants to retain a player base whether subscription based or not will have to raise their game to the next level. So for the WoW fans there is no need to get defensive regarding SW:TOR, cause you have ALOT more to get defensive about next year.

And as far as WoW Killers go we all know that Ghostcrawler/Blizzard will kill WoW long before another MMO does.
    Last edited by jearle; 2011-11-01 at 02:25 PM.

Deleted
    even if it's succesfull, i won't be playing it.

Quote Originally Posted by klorx View Post
    even if it's succesfull, i won't be playing it.
    Thanks for the awesome feedback and for visiting the Star Wars: The Old Republic forum!

I also love to browse forums and make posts for things I am totally not interested in! /thumbsup

Quote Originally Posted by Hinaaja View Post
    Fixed it for you. Nobody can know that, even if it says "Moderator" under your name. There's been enough WoW killers that have promised us the moon and the sun and everything from between, I'll believe SWTOR has what it takes when I see it.

Bioware is a great dev and Star Wars is a neat franchise, but there's no guarantee it will work in the long run.
    Except most MMOs don't try to be a WoW killer, they are looking to be a competitor of WoW. Competitor and killer are two very different things. SWTOR can be a success without killing WoW. WoW killer is a MMO community creation, not a MMO developer/company creation. Right now SWTOR is sitting at 752,655 pre-orders according to http://www.vgchartz.com/preorders.php and they don't count digital pre-orders or pre-orders in Europe. 752,655 is a very good number to be at right now most MMOs in the market find stable profitability at 500k and here SWTOR has already passed this by just with pre orders in America, imagine what the number might look like if you were to combine digital pre-orders and pre-orders from other parts of the world.

As of right now I think it's safe to say SWTOR will have initial success, Bioware/EA will most likely make back most of their investment just from the box sales alone. Now Bioware just has to work hard in securing long term success, something that I don't think will be hard to do the other Star Wars MMO (Star Wars Galaxies) stayed operational for 8 years, the game launched in 2003 and in 2005 (if Wikipedia is to be believed) is when SOE did both the combat upgrade and the new game enhancements which both of these major changes pushed away subscribers by the droves. Despite SOE shooting themselves and their game in the foot not once but twice in 2005 the game is just now closing here in 2011. I think if Bioware avoids pulling an SOE they should see their game operational for a lot longer than 8 years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobb View Post
    If anything all MMOs, including WoW can trace their roots back to Everquest.
    All MMOs can trace their roots back to Telnet based MUDs. Where items had levels, pvp had specific stats & quests were common. Even Raiding was there. They had NO graphics, being 100% text based (no voice acting even!), they had guilds, organisations, races and so on.

Saying X MMO is a clone of Y MMO is like saying a Toyota is a clone of a Dodge, then someone pips in saying that are all clones of the Ford Model T, forgetting that even that is just an upgrade of the horse and cart (horsepower still exists today).

Everything builds on what came before, you don't deliberately avoid a certain good mechanic (like colour coding gear grey-white-green-blue-purple) just to avoid looking like some other game. You end up artificially changing something just for the sake of it and you alienate your customers.

I say let people copy each other's ideas, and we'll see who executes them the best. Not all cars are the same, most of us are generally happy that there's competition there that forces the companies to be better. BMW has yet to make a Mercedes 'Killer'. The 2 companies, through competition with each other for the same slot of people, ended up making some of the best cars in the world. BMW doesn't go "QQ, they are putting GPS into their cars too now" instead they come up with a way to project a colour HUD onto the windscreen with the GPS information. Progress.

If/when SW:TOR launches successfully (and GW2) then it will only be a good thing to have more competitors in the market.

Deleted
    If TOR is successful it just shows that marketing is worth ten times more than innovative game play these days.

They had such a chance to become a great sandbox MMO with the setting, instead they choose the Themepark model again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    If TOR is successful it just shows that marketing is worth ten times more than innovative game play these days.

They had such a chance to become a great sandbox MMO with the setting, instead they choose the Themepark model again.
    Some people like Sandbox. Most prefer Themepark. If you were looking for another SWG, you were sorely mistaken, it's not a model most people are looking for at this point in time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sandbox is not the only, nor is it the "correct" way.

It will show, once again, that sandbox games are not what the majority want. WE, the gamers, decide that. And through MMO history, we have clearly told devs what sort of game we want due to where we invest our money.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    Sandbox is not the only, nor is it the "correct" way.

It will show, once again, that sandbox games are not what the majority want. WE, the gamers, decide that. And through MMO history, we have clearly told devs what sort of game we want due to where we invest our money.
    So following a tiny corridor is better than looking out the window for game development, it's no wonder we get a Call of duty every year.

A Sandbox could also be a themepark MMO, it could be alot of things, all that matters is that the Universe is played out.

I want to be a smuggler? in ToR I'm just a class.. it would have been awesome if I could level up by smuggling goods between places for the republic, running Sith blockades and bartering with the Hutts.

To me it's just a dissapointment.

Deleted
    I want to be a smuggler? in ToR I'm just a class.. it would have been awesome if I could level up by smuggling goods between places for the republic, running Sith blockades and bartering with the Hutts.
    With the NDA in place, can you really say this is not how the game will be for smugglers?

Deleted
    So following a tiny corridor is better than looking out the window for game development, it's no wonder we get a Call of duty every year.
    No, all you're wanting is another SWG. I played SWG, and whilst it was certainly enjoyable, it isn't really my type of game; SWTOR will not, and should not, be another SWG. It should be what BioWare does best, a good story experience with mild sandbox elements.

I hear some people are trying to do a PRE-NGE SWG somewhere on the web, you could perhaps glance around for that if you're interested in that sort of thing.

10+ Year Old Account

A Sandbox could also be a themepark MMO, it could be alot of things, all that matters is that the Universe is played out.

To you, it is. To many more, based upon where they put their money, it is not.

TOR origionally was going to go 3 factions, but decided against it. While it could have been cool for classes like BH and Smuggler, it also brings a problem of segregating the playbase further. Guilds, instead of just picking option A and B, now have a C choice. That creates a more dire dilemma. I know my guild coming from WoW would be split because of that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    With the NDA in place, can you really say this is not how the game will be for smugglers?
    Because playing it at Eurogamer gave me the grim realization that even Steve Blum's voice cannot turn generic questing into an awesome adventure.
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-11-01 at 04:49 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because playing it at Eurogamer gave me the grim realization that even Steve Blum's voice cannot turn generic questing into an awesome adventure.
    Playing there was limited to 15 or 20 minutes, correct?

Being an old school RPG player, do you really believe that is enough time to get wrapped up in the story and game in general?

(Oops, hit edit instead of quote >< )

Go here http://www.swgemu.com/forums/index.php for your sandbox SW game.

You may like sandboxes more, but most don't. That is why this time we are getting a themepark this time. Now we have both.

Deleted
    Here is another point where you and I differ. Story is enough to keep me interested hugely and forget I'm even doing repetitive stuff. A perfect example would be the updated Silverpine Forest in WoW. I did those quests on my Forsaken and I literally sped through them, absolutely loving the story behind them and having a fairly good time leveling, which is something I normally hate.