Page 5 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob from Accounting View Post
    Because not many can play 2 MMOs at the same time and spend enough time in both to amount to good progress. Well no one above 18 yo and not stinking rich and having no family.

You can usually play just one MMO while having good progress. 2 is stretching it and it means you are playing one of them very casually.
    I think you're missing the point here. I don't think matters was trying to make an argument that everyone should play both at the same time, but that more than one MMO can exist at the same time and be a financial success. Let's say for the sake of argument that there were 10 million people total playing MMOs, one MMO has 5 million and the second MMO has another 5 million, this would make both MMOs successful.

You and many other people might not play 2 MMOs, but that doesn't matter. Not every single game is going to appeal to all the same people, meaning one MMO can have X amount of players and be successful while another MMO might have Y amount of people while still being a financial success. It is perfectly possible for SWTOR, WoW, GW2, etc to have a following that brings in the moolah for their respective developers making them all a financial success, and in the end that's all that matters to these companies is the money they're making.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    and companions, and a choice defining system/gameplay/story, and space shooter, and not only has voice acting but voice acting stars, and is based on an almost 35 year old franchise, and has not gotten bloated/lazy like blizzard over years of monopoly, and so much more...
    All those things still doesn't change the fact that they try to be like traditional MMOs, they sell their game based on the fact that it will be like a traditional MMO, and when asked they say it will be like a traditional MMO. Saying it will be different from other MMOs is just fooling yourself (not saying being the same is a bad thing, just saying that it is the same, Bioware even says so themselves.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UnCorpse View Post
    I hope both co-exist.

No a fan of Starwars, but having more MMO generas would be nice to the market.
    This is spot on. Even blizzard have turned round and said they have welcomed SWTOR to open up the market for MMO's. SWTOR can claim that they have but back the 'RPG' in to "MMORPG" as they do have a lot of Role playing with each class.

There are not many with the playerbase that WoW has today. With that said, lets give TOR 6 months and see how it goes. The first 6 months of any MMO is vital to the survival of that game.

Deleted
    To be honest, I don't think EA/Bioware (Bioware in particular) could afford to screw this up.

After 5+ years of development and the massive build up of hype, not to mention the sheer cost of the project, hiring hundreds of professional voice actors and whatnot. Remember seeing the 100m production cost rumor creeping up alot on the forums?

Bioware are renowned for making top quality games, it seems everything they touch turns to gold nowadays. If they get this wrong they could suffer serious damage to their reputation which they may not recover from.

Having said all this! I actually got to play 2 days of the beta and I have absolute confidence that this game will succeed. The game just feels "right", something which Rift/AoC/Aion/WAR/ lacked for me.
    Last edited by mmoca8ebffb92b; 2011-10-20 at 08:34 PM.

They have made a profit already, hard copy pre orders in US alone are already 630,000...that doesnt include digital copies ie Origin or pre-orders on sites like amazon....surely its gonna be pushing 2million sales at launch!...

VGChartz said:
    Title: Star Wars: The Old Republic
    Platform: PC
    Weeks Until Release: 10
    Change from Last Week: 34,808 (28,976 fewer than last week)
    Total: 630,465

Timing is everything too. While SWTOR would be popular in any given year, it's popularity is going to surge mainly because WoW Cataclysm was lacking in so many ways, making it (IMO) the worst WoW expansion by a longshot.

Previously I never considered looking at other MMORPG games during my playtime with WoW, since it was so engrossing, and I was having so much fun. Cataclysm is the expansion that I started watching those MMORPG walkthroughs & firstlooks on YouTube. The one thing about life in general is that if you feel a certain way, chances are pretty darn good someone else does too.

During TBC/WotLK: A new Star Wars MMO is in the works ... -- oh really hmm OK, I don't know if I'll have the time to play both, and I don't have time to watch the videos, it's probably not a very good game.

During Cataclysm: New games just around the corner ... oh damn I'm not doing anything I'll go check em out .. holy shit those look nice, Star Wars really came along! Can't wait! Oh well since Cataclysm blows and I won't be playing WoW anymore (until maybe MoP), might as well unsubscribe and try some F2P's while I wait..

Yup.

(not a game vs game post, but just gave personal opinion of game X to explain attraction to game Y. I could also point out timing of WoW when dissatisfaction with EQ1 was at a peak)
    Last edited by Karteli; 2011-10-20 at 09:09 PM.

Deleted
    Solid points Karteli

Timing is indeed important, they're releasing SWTOR at a very convenient time (people's views on cataclysm are generally that of boredom and disappointment atm)

Blizzard are fully aware of SWTOR, hell Greg Street himself made it clear in an interview they know SWTOR is going to be big. So it wouldn't surprise me if they delay 4.3 a bit further to release around the same time as TOR.

Quote Originally Posted by thebum06 View Post
    All those things still doesn't change the fact that they try to be like traditional MMOs, they sell their game based on the fact that it will be like a traditional MMO, and when asked they say it will be like a traditional MMO. Saying it will be different from other MMOs is just fooling yourself (not saying being the same is a bad thing, just saying that it is the same, Bioware even says so themselves.)
    And what is a "traditional mmo"? How different do things have to be before its not a mmo at all? There are other threads made that doubt how much of a MMO this game will actually be. Besides even in your deluded homaginization of all mmos Bioware is just giving what people ask for, if it was radically different to the point where you finallyy accept its different then most people would be scared off or weary. Most MMO players are casual and would not like thier worlds turned upside down in order to play a different game. In general concept all mmos so far have been similar and while i don't know whats going on in Bioware dev minds I'm sure thats what they meant.

FF14 strayed from mmo traditions like classes/item restrictions/factions and such and did you see how much that game tanked?

It's hilarious and strange how you just brush off all the different features of this game. Saying the game is exactly the same as other mmos like WoW or GW is way more naive then saying it has noticeable differences.

I have a feeling no matter what features this game has you would still deny its individuality.
    Last edited by Argroth; 2011-10-20 at 10:22 PM.

The thing is, lord of the rings were amazing films, but look what happened to that game..., I have a feeling same might happen to TOR also, if the game is crap.

SWTOR will be a breath of fresh air for the first few months. Then, people will be quickly to judge and whine about how it's like WoW but set in space and before you know it, the player base bring their griefing and QQing from WoW over to SWTOR and screw it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorfadin View Post
    The thing is, lord of the rings were amazing films, but look what happened to that game..., I have a feeling same might happen to TOR also, if the game is crap.
    Fill us in, what happened to LotR MMO?

Maybe elaborate on what LotR brought to the industry, versus what TOR brings to the industry. You know bring up points, instead of snippy statements that don't have any base for discussion?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LieutenantDan View Post
    To be honest, I don't think EA/Bioware (Bioware in particular) could afford to screw this up.

After 5+ years of development and the massive build up of hype, not to mention the sheer cost of the project, hiring hundreds of professional voice actors and whatnot. Remember seeing the 100m production cost rumor creeping up alot on the forums?

Bioware are renowned for making top quality games, it seems everything they touch turns to gold nowadays. If they get this wrong they could suffer serious damage to their reputation which they may not recover from.

Having said all this! I actually got to play 2 days of the beta and I have absolute confidence that this game will succeed. The game just feels "right", something which Rift/AoC/Aion/WAR/ lacked for me.
    WOW. I couldnt have said this any better myself. I agree with every part of this post.

I think that SWTOR has a chance to be the best subscription based MMO on the market. As far as I can tell it does many things that WoW does but better like the quests, storyline/immersion, PvP, crafting and the graphics.

What will probably determine this is how the end game plays out.

PvP
    From what I can tell the PvP end game looks like it is better than WoW. The avenues to PvP are probably the best at the moment with PvP Lakes, PvP dedicated zones and BG's. As long as they don't make gear so attractive that it becomes a gear grind, instead of people playing PvP, I think SWTOR PvP will be better than WoW.

Leveling
    No doubt this is better than WoW hands down, everyone seems to rave about the story line and they make me believe in SWTOR. I can see people leveling alts and actually having fun instead of grinding through it.

Dungeons
    I haven't really seen many flashpoints nor read reviews about them. But from what I can tell they look pretty good, especially if they add story line to it. WoW has pretty good dungeons too and at the moment I would probably say they are equal when it comes to the mechanics.

Raids
    Ok from what I have seen in the videos I'm going to have to give WoW the win in this category. I know people are sick of WoW but WoW raids are probably the most exciting and entertaining raids out there. I have yet to witness anything that can match the fun factor of Heroic ODS, quite possibly the only fight I thought that the boss was actually trying to win! I think WoW designers really excel at making raid encounters but since I haven't really seen SWTOR encounters and their heroic modes I probably should reserve any judgement and take back what I said after watching the first few raid videos.

SWTOR does have a chance to be better than WoW, I think if the raids are on par with WoW raids it will definitely be the first MMO to challenge WoW's status as king of MMO's.

Swtor will surpass wow one day as the most played mmo. Not only is it an overall better game, but it's freaking star wars. i was just imaging the other day how many kiddies are going to ask their parents to buy this game for them. I had never even heard of "warcraft" until I played world of warcraft and I'm the majority. Warcraft is a very niche (large yes, but still niche) genre. Star wars captured an entire generation around the whole world and it can only get bigger.

<Snip> NDA

I had never even heard of "warcraft" until I played world of warcraft and I'm the majority.
    yes, now you are the majority..as blizzard said more people have played wow and now don't lay it, than people that play wow now...it is no secret that the people start playing wow was the ones that loved warcraft strategies and lore but the majority of them don't play wow anymore sadly..
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-10-21 at 02:49 PM.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

SWTOR will be a huge success in the eyes of those who will play it as will other games mentioned here. Its easy to say that it won't match WoW's level or even "kill" it same can be said for GW2 but SWTOR has a lot to offer us, 1 of the huge pros from Star Wars in my opinion is it's a Sci-Fi MMO that will actually work as it has an established lore already in place, I'm tired of Medievil/Fantasy MMO's and Science Fiction was always one of those areas I thought an MMO should work but it never seems to have done so in the past.

End of the day what will be best is for all 3 to co-exist as they will push each other to create better content. Me personally I'll be playing SWTOR because it seems to offer more replayability in a new exciting lore and universe I'm more interested in.

Lightning. It flashes bright, then... fades away. It can't protect. It only destroys

10+ Year Old Account
    It's hilarious and strange how you just brush off all the different features of this game. Saying the game is exactly the same as other mmos like WoW or GW is way more naive then saying it has noticeable differences.

I have a feeling no matter what features this game has you would still deny its individuality.
    Please tell me what features it has that makes it different from other traditional MMOs? It has a leveling system based on questing, it has the holy trinity of tank/healer/dps, the end-game consists of raiding and pvp arenas/battlegrouns (or whatever you want to call it). Again, I never said it was a bad thing. It really is a matter of personal preference. People want the same game in a new setting, and that's what they get. Nothing bad about that, but it is the truth, and saying it's different is really just a lie.

Edit: I also like how you say that I consider this exactly the same as GW, because GW is one of those games I'd consider to be different to other MMOs. GW2 more so than GW1.
    Last edited by Ishu; 2011-10-21 at 03:17 PM.

Deleted
    SWTOR is completely instanced, that is the main problem in this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragnet View Post
    SWTOR is completely instanced, that is the main problem in this game.
    What? No it's not. Only your story quests and some of the heroic quests are instanced.

Another trolling toon, cute.

---------- Post added 2011-10-21 at 11:56 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zeerid View Post
    What? No it's not. Only your story quests and some of the heroic quests are instanced.
    It is a troll or someone really ignorant, either way its not worth the effort typing to it.