Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Sighz View Post
    Competition is always good. I personally hope WoW doesn't die so BW has to work hard to keep subs, which means better content.
    These kind of comments show that you really know nothing about the MMO scene. EQ1 is still regularly getting expansions even though it has like max 200k subscribers, WoW still has 11 million. So I can say with 100% certainty, WoW isn't going to die anytime soon.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    I agree, it will be very successful. It'll draw people in from the MMO world but also from the Star Wars world. Everyone knows Star Wars. I found a light saber in my mom's drawer, that is how popular it is. I just can't figure out how to turn it on...
    Let me guess, no lights, just some vibration? I think you should just leave it back where you found it.

On Topic: I'd be worried that they spend too much money on it and it doesn't become popular enough to justify continued expense. I'd be worried that something will happen later down the line with licensing of the Star Wars IP which could cause the game to be shut down. How strong are the agreements with LucasArts to prevent a non-renewal of license after X years?

I'm somewhat stoked, and a little nervous that there'll be lots of hype, but it could get ruined by bad business or bad player base.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    Let me guess, no lights, just some vibration? I think you should just leave it back where you found it.

On Topic: I'd be worried that they spend too much money on it and it doesn't become popular enough to justify continued expense. I'd be worried that something will happen later down the line with licensing of the Star Wars IP which could cause the game to be shut down. How strong are the agreements with LucasArts to prevent a non-renewal of license after X years?

I'm somewhat stoked, and a little nervous that there'll be lots of hype, but it could get ruined by bad business or bad player base.
    The main risk is that they underestimate the amount and rate of content that MMO gamers consume, and they either take too long or else seriously have to water down the quality of new content and story, or both. The really defining thing about SWTOR (aside from it's IP appeal) is the emphasis on character story, and if that becomes more standard due to new content requirements, it could end up becoming more and more like every other major MMO.

Think how long it would take Bioware to write and produce another KOTOR game, even if they could just re-use the existing engine. Now realize that they will probably need to release 2-3 of these annually to keep up with user demand for content, unless they are willing to simply cycle new users in to replace users who complete the content and leave instead of retaiing customers.

I suggest the title of this thread be changed to ''When SWTOR is succesful....''

Deleted
    SWTOR and WoW will share the market and GW2 will get some of the cake too. Till Titan is released. With Titan Blizzard will once again own the market.

I dont think they will Titan is rumoured to be a FPS mmo....unless its mindblowingly good i dont think it will reach the sub lvls of WoW

Quote Originally Posted by Alver View Post
    SWTOR and WoW will share the market and GW2 will get some of the cake too. Till Titan is released. With Titan Blizzard will once again own the market.
    I sure hope not. Is anything even known about Titan? How can you say that? At least SWTOR has a huge number already signed up and the built in SW fanbase as well.

Even if it is successful due to the foolish blizzard fanbase, if it takes too long to come out people will get settled in other games.

People not liking change is probably the biggest reason WoW is still on top despite far superior companies and some superior games.

If Titan is a shooter MMO I don't think there is as much crossover in the MMORPG community and the FPS community as some people think.

Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    The main risk is that they underestimate the amount and rate of content that MMO gamers consume, and they either take too long or else seriously have to water down the quality of new content and story, or both. The really defining thing about SWTOR (aside from it's IP appeal) is the emphasis on character story, and if that becomes more standard due to new content requirements, it could end up becoming more and more like every other major MMO.

Think how long it would take Bioware to write and produce another KOTOR game, even if they could just re-use the existing engine. Now realize that they will probably need to release 2-3 of these annually to keep up with user demand for content, unless they are willing to simply cycle new users in to replace users who complete the content and leave instead of retaiing customers.
    I bet they're going to save the big KOTOR like experiences for expansion packs to be honest. In between expansions they will probably release new flashpoints, operations, and warzones which is something that all MMOs currently do, all MMOs keep their most meaty content for expansion packs but in between they will release small things like dungeons, raids, and pvp maps.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we can probably look at what Bioware has done with DLC for Dragon Age 1/2, and Mass Effect 1/2 to see where things might go as far as speed. All of those games had fully voiced content added to them after launch, albeit with a fee. (You can see some figures on release dates here http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Downloadable_Content)

I think swtor is the next big mmo. Wow is already on its last legs imo. If they do just another 5 level increase with the next expansion pretty much kiss it goodbye imo. Players won't be able to stay interested in the game but it would be odd going from 85-95. Then Metzen was saying wow ends at level 100 so guessing 2-3 expansions maybe? SWTOR has alot of possiblities I think. You don't have people like Metzen there placing jaina proudmoore and other npcs at every advantage point from open war starting out . They took the war out of wow and added more politics to the game. It's sad , no war for warcraft =( . All raids are mainly about both sides joining forces to take on some villain instead of them facing each other. Not to mention every patch just caters to pve players. No new pvp stuff added only when a new expansion is released. Pvpers I feel are being given the short end of the stick, with blizz devs being to lazy to give them some lovin to.

Quote Originally Posted by RetributionPaladin View Post
    It will make the industry pull its socks up like never before, I think for once Blizzard will go back to their roots and sink or swim out of their current complacency. But if it fails, I think there will be a huge depression in the market, investors will become extremely skeptical, developers all round will lose morale.

"If all that money just makes a flash in the pan, what are we supposed to do?"
    Um... hate to break this to you, but Blizzard have pulled all the top talent out of Wow, years ago. Its' phasing out has been in the works for a while now. Market research showed people would rather just move on to another game, then to "upgrade" to wow 2.0. So, Blizz moved on, they have a few projects in development and have been making it easier and easier for people to move on to other Activision games.

I'm sure it will be successful, and the competition will cause other MMOs to step up their game. Sounds like a win/win situation to me.

I hope Star Wars The Old Republic and Guild Wars 2 are successful along with with Warcraft.Competition breeds excellence along with new ideas.
    "Chaos boils in my veins."

Quote Originally Posted by VenomousCarnage View Post
    I sure hope not. Is anything even known about Titan? How can you say that? At least SWTOR has a huge number already signed up and the built in SW fanbase as well.

Even if it is successful due to the foolish blizzard fanbase, if it takes too long to come out people will get settled in other games.

People not liking change is probably the biggest reason WoW is still on top despite far superior companies and some superior games.

If Titan is a shooter MMO I don't think there is as much crossover in the MMORPG community and the FPS community as some people think.
    The only thing Blizz has said about Titan is that it's an MMO and it WONT be from any franchise of theirs (diablo, starcraft, warcraft)

TOR doesn't need to pull from WoW to be a success, although I'm sure there will be a good percentage that at least try it out. Bioware is banking more on getting those people that loved KOTOR, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and their other games, that have never played MMO's to come and try it out. They are going to work hard into showing those single player gamers that MMO's aren't all evil and playing with other people, even if you don't know them, can be an enjoyable experience.

Quote Originally Posted by creedster View Post
    I'm pretty sure SWTOR and WoW can co-exist.
    NO THEY CAN'T! Don't you know the rules!!! I keep telling everyone that two games of the same genre have never existed side by side in the history of video games!! It's not like Mega Man and Super Mario ever existed at the same time...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaronicity View Post
    NO THEY CAN'T! Don't you know the rules!!! I keep telling everyone that two games of the same genre have never existed side by side in the history of video games!! It's not like Mega Man and Super Mario ever existed at the same time...
    Hmm.. What about Dragon Age and Elder scroll?
    Or all those bilions of football / hockey / racing games? Those are pretty much exactly the same (imo).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Godis View Post
    Hmm.. What about Dragon Age and Elder scroll?
    Or all those bilions of football / hockey / racing games? Those are pretty much exactly the same (imo).
    He was being sarcastic...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob from Accounting View Post
    With swtor and gw2 coming out, and wow being 157000 years old, I predict wow will go f2p by May next year.
    May next year I'm guessing WoW still has 8+ million active, paying players. Why would they bother with f2p? They will still be making tons of money both from subs, time cards, and paid services/items.

Please give us the next weeks lotto numbers aswell.