Page 4 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RetributionPaladin View Post
    It will make the industry pull its socks up like never before, I think for once Blizzard will go back to their roots and sink or swim out of their current complacency. But if it fails, I think there will be a huge depression in the market, investors will become extremely skeptical, developers all round will lose morale.

"If all that money just makes a flash in the pan, what are we supposed to do?"
    So a million subs gone over the course of 2011 and Blizzards answer for ToR is the same stuff they have been doing for the past 7 years and you think ToR will change that?

Sorry WoW fans you got lied to. Smaller patches and faster content was designed to keep you in place and not jump ship for Rift. If Bioware drops content at Trions pace, then it is going to be bad for WoW without a doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob from Accounting View Post
    WoW still has so many subs right now because the amount of good games or that can keep you occupied for more than 3 days on the market right now is exactly 0. Once swtor and gw2 will hit the market, that will change radically and the bored wow veterans will flock to swtor and gw2.
    Must be great to be in this small world

Quote Originally Posted by Bob from Accounting View Post
    WoW still has so many subs right now because the amount of good games or that can keep you occupied for more than 3 days on the market right now is exactly 0. Once swtor and gw2 will hit the market, that will change radically and the bored wow veterans will flock to swtor and gw2.
    Why do you think I just predicted that over a third of the current WoW players would be leaving?

When you factor in the new subs WoW will still be getting, I am guessing it will look something like this:

11 million now
    lose 4 million
    gain 1 million new
    8 million left

Remember: not everyone playing WoW currently has been around for years and burned out. A lot of players are still in their first year or two, and for them WoW may still be exciting and fresh. And a lot of people have strong social connections to WoW, and will be unable to give them up. They may play both games.

I'd like to point out that game devs add up all of the paid subscriptions whether active or not in their totals. So rift has 1 million that might've subbed but have way less playing now. The same goes for wow. blizzard keeps saying 11.5 mil but that's with all of the subs ever bought or played recently. i'm not sure of the exact method but mmorpg.com had a big story about it when AoC came out.

With so much to do in swtor and GW2 i don't imagine myself ever playing wow when those games start dropping. mists of pandas (lol) is just another grind and super fast lvl experience that won't change anything. it's over imo only all of you fanbois have to realize it and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Caliph View Post
    I'd like to point out that game devs add up all of the paid subscriptions whether active or not in their totals. So rift has 1 million that might've subbed but have way less playing now. The same goes for wow. blizzard keeps saying 11.5 mil but that's with all of the subs ever bought or played recently. i'm not sure of the exact method but mmorpg.com had a big story about it when AoC came out.

With so much to do in swtor and GW2 i don't imagine myself ever playing wow when those games start dropping. mists of pandas (lol) is just another grind and super fast lvl experience that won't change anything. it's over imo only all of you fanbois have to realize it and move on.
    You are wrong and I don't care about WoW that much myself. They do only count active subscriptions. The thing though is that WoW is hugely multinational their reach goes all the way to China. When you are hugely multinational like that your numbers will be huge as well, but here's the thing WoW's biggest group of players are from China, in China they don't pay the standard $15 the rest of the playerbase does it's considerably cheaper there. WoW is losing ground in North America and Europe where the real big bucks are, so WoW could continue to grow and thrive but not necessarily here in North America or Europe.

10+ Year Old Account
    The way Blizzard counts subs is slightly strange, but that thought doesn't belong here. Let's get back on topic.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Deleted
    The one thing that will help this game succede will be the players themselves. As long as content patches are forthcoming. I am sure Lucas Arts and Bioware will make this game a success. I have no doubt that SWTOR will have it problems at first. All the delays that Bioware have had, will no doubt will have made this game more refined compared to WoW.

From the testing phase back in July, the graphics and the game play were mind blowingly FANTASTIC. I could use more words, however, I dont need to say anymore on that. As long as there are plenty of dungeons/HCs and at least 2-3 raids. That should tie up ppl for a few months until the first content patch is ready. Anyways, lets see how things progress past the first 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by Phen View Post
    The one thing that will help this game succede will be the players themselves. As long as content patches are forthcoming. I am sure Lucas Arts and Bioware will make this game a success. I have no doubt that SWTOR will have it problems at first. All the delays that Bioware have had, will no doubt will have made this game more refined compared to WoW.

From the testing phase back in July, the graphics and the game play were mind blowingly FANTASTIC. I could use more words, however, I dont need to say anymore on that. As long as there are plenty of dungeons/HCs and at least 2-3 raids. That should tie up ppl for a few months until the first content patch is ready. Anyways, lets see how things progress past the first 6 months.
    I pretty much agree with everything in this post. The players who make the community as well as the release of content on a regular basis and this game should have no problems holding up in the market. I think the future for TOR is very promising, Bioware make some truly great and immersive games and I can't wait to finally get into TOR to experience it first hand!

The game hasn't released yet and it's already changing the MMO market. Look at how Blizzard has changed their game up because of the mere thought of SWTOR being released this year? And now, here we are with a set in stone release date...kinda makes ya wonder what will happen next?

Why is it that no one can fathom the idea of two very popular MMOs existing SIMULTANEOUSLY? One does not need to die in order for the other to be popular, sure WoW is the standard that many compare MMOs to but why exactly can't there be two amazing and different games? If SWTOR is just a fluke then too bad but the time has come that there has to be more than just one great MMO, despite what the WOW haters may say.

Quote Originally Posted by Sighz View Post
    Competition is always good. I personally hope WoW doesn't die so BW has to work hard to keep subs, which means better content.
    I think this is an important point and makes SWTOR a more important game. This isn't Rift or Guild Wars or whatever those other failed MMOs were. This game will have a dedicated huge fan-base and as long as they make it fun and challenging it will make Blizzard shake in their boots.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally I don't think it will have a big impact on the development of WoW if this game is successful. It might have an impact on blizzards next MMO, but WoW is too old for another game to have too much influence on the further development (which will probably end with the next expansion anyway). And even then, this game is too much like classic MMOs to have any huge impact on the genre. It doesn't bring anything revolutionary, so even if it's very well polished and very good, it won't be able to change the genre very much.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could probably get a month or two of entertainment from the story quests, but once endgame starts I'll most likely be just as bored as I am with WoW

Quote Originally Posted by thebum06 View Post
    I could probably get a month or two of entertainment from the story quests, but once endgame starts I'll most likely be just as bored as I am with WoW
    Don't worry, 200 hours of unique story per class, if you get burned out of Endgame, have fun.

SWTOR will be successful no doubt, I'm sure they will get a profit. But it will never be as successful as WoW, or even lineage lol! But the MMO that might stir the pot is going to be GW2 not SWTOR. If they take off they will make a splash in the industry because of how unique a lot of their approach is.

I think SWTOR will have a good 6 months, (WoW gained subs for 4 years) and then subs will slowly decline especially if they make the end game = raiding. Just doesn't look like there is enough there to keep people continuously interested in the game. SWTOR so far looks like a Bio-ware game with WoW end game PvP/Raiding. I think the WoW end game for SWTOR pretty much has me thinking I'm going to level to see the stories and then thats it. If I want raiding end game content WoW is the best.

this game will not be a wow killer but it will definitely be the most successful mmo out there next to wow bank it. it's so much different then any MMO and that's a good thing. the movements are frustrating as they are stiff but the game is fun as hell

15+ Year Old Account
    TOR does not have to be a "wow killer", for me the sole fact that it's Kotor combined with mmo makes it a must buy. And as others said, it does not have to beat WoW subscriptions in order to be counted as succesful, and even IF it will, it will not happen so fast. Remember it took Blizzard years to reach 12 mil subs...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lcarnegie View Post
    this game will not be a wow killer but it will definitely be the most successful mmo out there next to wow bank it. it's so much different then any MMO and that's a good thing. the movements are frustrating as they are stiff but the game is fun as hell
    How is it different from any other MMO? The main selling point of the game is that it is like any other MMO, but with voiced story line.

Quote Originally Posted by thebum06 View Post
    How is it different from any other MMO? The main selling point of the game is that it is like any other MMO, but with voiced story line.
    and companions, and a choice defining system/gameplay/story, and space shooter, and not only has voice acting but voice acting stars, and is based on an almost 35 year old franchise, and has not gotten bloated/lazy like blizzard over years of monopoly, and so much more...

Quote Originally Posted by Eggoman View Post
    SWTOR will be successful no doubt, I'm sure they will get a profit. But it will never be as successful as WoW, or even lineage lol! But the MMO that might stir the pot is going to be GW2 not SWTOR. If they take off they will make a splash in the industry because of how unique a lot of their approach is.

I think SWTOR will have a good 6 months, (WoW gained subs for 4 years) and then subs will slowly decline especially if they make the end game = raiding. Just doesn't look like there is enough there to keep people continuously interested in the game. SWTOR so far looks like a Bio-ware game with WoW end game PvP/Raiding. I think the WoW end game for SWTOR pretty much has me thinking I'm going to level to see the stories and then thats it. If I want raiding end game content WoW is the best.
    Considering you really dont know shit about SWTOR endgame then you cant say WoW is the best, and GW2 PAH! what a crock.....oh look i can be objective too

Quote Originally Posted by Eggoman View Post

Whoa everybody we have a new Nostradamus, this one sees the future and knows only facts about a game that is still largely unknown. Seriously I can see how someone can not like a fanboy talking up the game but being a negative jerk like that is just as nieve AND somewhat spiteful (which btw is a less respective quality then optimism/enthusiasm). Denial is a powerful thing among those still "faithful" to WoW. I am constantly reminded of the people who still say The Simpsons is golden and has never faltered, it's just depressing.

While SWTOR (and any other game for that matter) will not be a "WoW killer", people have to step aside and realize that that old dog is certainly past its prime and should look out for other opportunities.