Page 12 of 32 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by WeaponXAnimosity View Post
    SWTOR will be a breath of fresh air for the first few months. Then, people will be quickly to judge and whine about how it's like WoW but set in space and before you know it, the player base bring their griefing and QQing from WoW over to SWTOR and screw it up.
    Just like every other MMO has. Most people only join these games because they're new and shiny. People only usually jump ship for good if they're in love with the game and make sure it's there for good. I mean what's the point investing in a game that has a seriously low server population.
    Classic WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherinfern0 View Post
    Just like every other MMO has. Most people only join these games because they're new and shiny. People only usually jump ship for good if they're in love with the game and make sure it's there for good. I mean what's the point investing in a game that has a seriously low server population.
    You were not seeing clearly when you wrote this post This game is beyond what any MMO offers.
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-10-26 at 01:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm in love with this game, I love star wars (all 6 movies too O_O) and I'll definatley be playing this for a good long time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thebum06 View Post
    Well, let's assume that each class has 100 hours of game time in the personal story line (I have no idea if this is true, but it seems reasonable). An avid MMO player will probably play 5 hours a day, if not more than that. So all 8 classes will take him approximately 5 to 6 months. If the end game is good people will obviously continue playing after that. But if the end game is not good, it's a good guess that people will be done with the game after 6 months. What will happen is not something I can tell, but it's not unreasonable to guess that people will be done with the story lines after 6 months.
    If you listen to all the story, you're looking at around 200 hours, give or take, per character. Then you add in any pvp or flashpoints that you want to do. Then exploring and searching for datacrons if you are into that kind of thing. Then there is the crafting. Then there are the companion story arcs. Then there are the space missions. Then the raid content. Then the added content (The writers are done, but still working...). Then the repeatable content. Then the...

People will vary, but there is a lot to do for a lot of differnt people and what they enjoy.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

Quote Originally Posted by thebum06 View Post
    Well, let's assume that each class has 100 hours of game time in the personal story line (I have no idea if this is true, but it seems reasonable). An avid MMO player will probably play 5 hours a day, if not more than that. So all 8 classes will take him approximately 5 to 6 months. If the end game is good people will obviously continue playing after that. But if the end game is not good, it's a good guess that people will be done with the game after 6 months. What will happen is not something I can tell, but it's not unreasonable to guess that people will be done with the story lines after 6 months.
    You're probably right. To which I would say, if people are simply into a game for the shallow reason that they can show off their high level gear or achievements, perhaps WoW, Call of Duty, or other such games would be right for them. If they're more into having fun in a game because it's a genuinely enjoyable experience, they might find themselves strangely and inexplicably attracted to SWTOR.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    If you listen to all the story, you're looking at around 200 hours, give or take, per character. Then you add in any pvp or flashpoints that you want to do. Then exploring and searching for datacrons if you are into that kind of thing. Then there is the crafting. Then there are the companion story arcs. Then there are the space missions. Then the raid content. Then the added content (The writers are done, but still working...). Then the repeatable content. Then the...

People will vary, but there is a lot to do for a lot of differnt people and what they enjoy.
    Oh, I wasn't commenting on whether there were things to do or not. I was just saying that the story lines could probably be done in 6 months, although if there really is 200 hours for each class as you say then that's probably going to take longer than that.

You're probably right. To which I would say, if people are simply into a game for the shallow reason that they can show off their high level gear or achievements, perhaps WoW, Call of Duty, or other such games would be right for them. If they're more into having fun in a game because it's a genuinely enjoyable experience, they might find themselves strangely and inexplicably attracted to SWTOR.
    Huh, what does that have to do with what I said? The guy you quoted said that, if the end game is not good, people would quit once they finished the main story line. That has nothing to do with people just wanting to show off gear :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    Unfortunately, there are many false rumors going around about the game. =(
    367?

On topic: It is a well-known fact that everything Bioware touches turns into an awesome game. I see the game going places, the beta was phenomenal, the gameplay was good, balanced, and interesting. The scaled world is an awesome design and opens up a lot in exploration.

10+ Year Old Account
    Trollsbane, which server area will you be putting your guild on, I'm interested in your guild and was just curious, I usually choose in between east and west... and I love my low ping.

Yes...the more i look into SWTOR the more i regret signing up for the year term agreement Blizzard put out a few days ago Ah well, free Diablo 3 and love that i get to be a guarenteed Beta tester.

But WoW actually does have alot to worry about.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    Trollsbane, which server area will you be putting your guild on, I'm interested in your guild and was just curious, I usually choose in between east and west... and I love my low ping.
    West coast. Bottom of the first post in the recruitment thread:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...R-guild-thread

Deleted
    I don't think SWTOR will fail, per se, but it won't put anything more than a dent in the market.

SWTOR isn't new - it's another MMO based on a popular IP. The grounds for success just isn't there.

That said, it'll probably do well, considering it's loyal fanbase. But I'm going to guess that it'll spike at 3-4 million subs and then decline as people start looking back at WoW and/or towards GW2.

Same goes for GW2, subsequentially.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    I don't think SWTOR will fail, per se, but it won't put anything more than a dent in the market.

SWTOR isn't new - it's another MMO based on a popular IP. The grounds for success just isn't there.

That said, it'll probably do well, considering it's loyal fanbase. But I'm going to guess that it'll spike at 3-4 million subs and then decline as people start looking back at WoW and/or towards GW2.

Same goes for GW2, subsequentially.
    The main thing I think that keeps people going back to WoW is that if they played it first, they already have that establish character and relationship with their respective guilds and realms. They don't have to start all over like the with all the other MMO's and are more likely to revert back to WoW as soon as they hit a boring or slow part of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    The main thing I think that keeps people going back to WoW is that if they played it first, they already have that establish character and relationship with their respective guilds and realms. They don't have to start all over like the with all the other MMO's and are more likely to revert back to WoW as soon as they hit a boring or slow part of the game.
    Exactly. Also, in the back of their minds, subconsciously, they're constantly comparing their playing experience to the one they know - WoW.

I could barely take a step during the Rift beta, or during the week I played it's trial, without constantly thinking about various differences and comparisons to WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I am extremely excited for SWTOR, I'd be lying if I said I was't a little bit worried. I've just been stung so many times by the promises of future MMOs, only to be saddened as they fall flat on their face. Trust is hard to regain... but I will remain optimistic nonetheless

10+ Year Old Account
    I can agree with those points.
    Though my time playing TOR in a convention left me comparing a bit, but then forgetting to compare cause it was really different to me. I later tried to play the other games I know and have spent a lot of time in, and found myself bored very quickly, and not ever wanting to play them again. /shrug

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixuzcc View Post
    Exactly. Also, in the back of their minds, subconsciously, they're constantly comparing their playing experience to the one they know - WoW.

I could barely take a step during the Rift beta, or during the week I played it's trial, without constantly thinking about various differences and comparisons to WoW.
    Exactly why I couldn't get into Rift. I was completely fed up with WoW questing and progression. That and pretty much ever Soul Combination I tried I felt like I was just playing a spin off of a WoW class.

I don't think I'll have near as much of a problem with SW:TOR though, I mean I don't really care for raiding being the end-all be-all of PvE, but I nerdgasm so hard over Star Wars I practically have to take cold showers thinking about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can see SWTOR being a massive success at the beginning... what with the insane amount of pre orders, Bioware's good name, and the Star Wars IP. Bioware just has to be on their A game and continue to keep players interested in the long run.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Roggles View Post
    I can see SWTOR being a massive success at the beginning... what with the insane amount of pre orders, Bioware's good name, and the Star Wars IP. Bioware just has to be on their A game and continue to keep players interested in the long run.
    They have around 3,500 hundred years of possible story arcs to fuck around with.

This is the first time I was 'ready' to leave WoW for another game. The time has come (since the release of cata) and SWTOR imo couldn't launch at a better time.

I am not exactly looking for a revolutionary mmo but a change of scenery (sick of the barbarian themed mmo's) and a different story. I am one of those people that actually reads all the quests in WoW since classic, so I am pretty sure I'll have an amazing questing experience if nothing else.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    yeah, I think Blizz has made it easier for long time players to exodus lately. For me personally I will never go back, so sink or swim TOR is my game. I am sure many others kinda feel the same. While It would be nice to have a HUGE community I am ok with a fairly normal sized but loyal following. I do not want TOR to be wow 2.0 in the slightest. 10 million people to me would be just.....too much.