Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Shaman-like Class.

I couldn't find this out, Will there be a shaman-like class? If so, what one? :-)

Ty ;-)

Elemental would be covered by the Elementalist.
    Totems would be covered by the Engineer's turrets and various other support abilities.
    Enhance... not sure. I might be forgetting something.
    We won't have a dedicated healer, so Resto's out.

You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.

Deleted
    Elementalist is more a mage right?

Deleted
    Elementalist. You have access to 4 "states" Being (I think) Fire, Water, Air and Earth. Not 100% sure on what the states are.

---------- Post added 2011-09-28 at 04:10 PM ----------

It's a Mage combined with Shaman.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenkachii View Post
    Elementalist is more a mage right?
    Well, Elemental is more of a mage-like spec, isn't it?

You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.

If you're coming here looking for WoW-analogous...anything, don't bother; Guild Wars is its own game, with its own classes.
    I am Grôgnárd, the one and only!
    The Light and How to Swing It

SWTOR Referral Link - get free stuff!

Deleted
    You won't find the WoW version of a class in GW2 profession. Considering, no profession in GW2 plays a certain when like a class does in WoW.

Although to give you a profession, I'd go with Guardian, it can melee (Enhance), it can do ranged damage (Ele). You won't find something that plays like a shaman here.

Best bet is to actually wait for open beta and try the professions that you like the look of.

15+ Year Old Account
    If for some reason you actually liked totems, I would suggest engineer.

I would say the guardian is like the shaman cause you have buffs you throw on the ground. I can't say for sure though since I haven't played.

Deleted
    It's hard to compare.
    Elementalist does have those water and air and earth and fire spells like shaman in WoW does.
    But I would consider it more as a mage.

Guardian does seem to have their spiritual ways of dealing with stuff... though yet it's far from shaman.

15+ Year Old Account
    Guardian isn't holy. They are powered by the fires of justice. If they swore allegiance to a god or some higher power, no Charr would ever be one. They are Lawbringers more than they are Crusaders.

looking at GW2 wiki skill list

Elemental - Elementalist Air Attuned

Enhancement - cant see any profession similar to its playstyle

Resto - no healing professions in gw2

Deleted
    Hey Lusitan. Just wanna say that your signature is too big for MMO-Champion. Keep it 500x100 to avoid infractions.

Quote Originally Posted by Grognard View Post
    If you're coming here looking for WoW-analogous...anything, don't bother; Guild Wars is its own game, with its own classes.
    There are some parralels that you can pull from WoW and see in the Guild wars characters especially with the Warlock = Necromancer, Gaurdian = Paladin, and of course Ranger to hunter. However for classes like Shaman or Druid, there really is no crossover. With that being said most people like the shaman in Warcraft because of it's abilities to range DPS, Heal and Melee DPS and be basically an all in one type of charater. Well that's what Guild Wars 2 professions are, all in ones. So it's more of a choice of, Do you like Melee or Ranged about the shaman? Then pick a melee or Ranged profession in GW2 accordingly and you willbe good to go. I think the engineer would be the best choice, since I love my Shaman in warcraft and I loved playing the Engineer in the demo at Comic Con. Healing, ranged, melee and droping traps and turrets!!!!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oldscratch View Post
    Warlock = Necromancer
    Warlocks summon demons and focus on demonic magics.

Necromancers commune and raise the dead.

They're different.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Warlocks summon demons and focus on demonic magics.

Necromancers commune and raise the dead.

They're different.
    Yeah, I never understood the warlock/necromancer comparison either.

As far as a wow like shaman class, there really isn't anything like that in GW2.

Deleted
    Warlock = Necromancer, Gaurdian = Paladin, and of course Ranger to hunter.
    Making horrible comparisons like that, is exactly what GW2 doesn't need. WoW classes are so plain and flavourless compared to any of the GW2 professions.

Hunter maybe like a Ranger, but Ranger has a hell of alot more cool stuff, Hunters have what 2 melee abilities, the Ranger has weapon sets dedicated to melee, so you're not limited to range.

Warlock = Necro - Umm.. no.

Guardian = Paladim, again.. no.

WoW mindsets do not fit into the GW2 world like they do to MMOs that are the same as WoW.

No profession in GW2 feels like anything in WoW.
    Last edited by mmoc233041c6ce; 2011-09-28 at 04:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Yeah, I never understood the warlock/necromancer comparison either.

As far as a wow like shaman class, there really isn't anything like that in GW2.
    I suppose that while they are not mirror images of each other in either look, skills or idiologies there are some basics that a garnished from the same thought process. Using fear spells as a form of Crowd Control, spells that place DOTs on the enemies that have some type of dease reference, summoning different types of minions in order to handle different situations.

GW2 professions are varied and versitile much more then those in Warcraft I agree, but there are similaries that can be made.

Using fear spells as a form of Crowd Control, spells that place DOTs on the enemies that have some type of dease reference, summoning different types of minions in order to handle different situations.
    You know a death knight also fits in that description.

If you liked a shaman because it uses the elements go elementalist.
    If you liked the totems go engineer.
    If you liked being able to be melee or ranged go anything

Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    Elementalist. You have access to 4 "states" Being (I think) Fire, Water, Air and Earth. Not 100% sure on what the states are.

---------- Post added 2011-09-28 at 04:10 PM ----------

It's a Mage combined with Shaman.
    I love your signature, that is the primary reason I am posting.

But yeah, there are no classes that would really be that close to WoW shaman. There's really no precedent in GW lore for it that I know of either. Norn as a race are "kind of" close, in that they have spirit animals which is somewhat shamanistic.