Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggetmagic View Post
    Its hardly a Mage combined with Shaman. Just because it has earth and water spells, doesn't classify it as a Shaman. I never got people who say this, as it doesn't look like it plays like a shaman, at all.

I actually can't think of anything that really resembles a Shaman from WoW.
    Well, no class plays like any class in WoW, because the core gameplay mechanics are entirely different... but if you are going by "feel" and "looks", Elementalists have Lightning, Wind, Earth, Water, Ice, Fire spells, and the ability to do "support" stuff, since Water can heal (even has a spell similar to Healing Rain iirc), while Earth is more debuff oriented from what we've seen so far.

10+ Year Old Account
    ELementalist would probably be the closest.

Has the 4 elements. Fire being more Dot/DD (think Fire Mage), Water is more supporty (Think Frost Mage + The water healing abilities of Resto Shaman. AoE water heals, and other junk), Air being a bit more like Arcane, has a lot of electrical abilities, single target damage and conditions, and Earth being defensive/tanky in the sense they get defensive buffs, control, and a bit more survivability.

Then you have to remember the few weapon shoices. Dagger/Dagger feels more like a melee caster. Lots of close touch/mid range skills (more like Enhance), but you are still a bit squishier, you are wearing the lowest armor set, but using your Earth buffs can help.

You can also go Guardian. YOu can got Ranged DPS, Ranged Support, Melee Support, or Melee DPS (WoW druid like fashion, them being able to be every type). No Duel wielding, but you can use Staves, Scepters, Foci, 2Handed Swords and Hammers, 1 handed Swords and Hammers, SHields, etc. You can fill any roll decently with good buffs, damage and other things.

Ranger is more naturey with a pet and is more hunter like, but not entirely.

Necromancers are all about control. You can be a master of Debuff/Buff control (Conditons/Boons) You can convert ally Conditions to Boons, Enemy boons to conditions, you can have a passive utility that constantly sucks all your allies conditions to you with an active of allowing you to put them all on a target. You get condition consumes and other things. You can also go Lifestealy/DD tank. Using your Death Shroud as your primary utility, you can tank in the game with one of the biggest health pools in teh game. Or you can hybridize DD/Dot/Condition.

Engineer will give you more of that Totem gameplay with Turrets and Weapon Kits, but I think thats as far as it goes to a shaman. Being able to be multiple rolls on the fly.

Hope that helps. Of course this is all kinda rough, nothing really equates directly. I would recommend reading through every class, and all there abilities/Weapon combos. Along with playing around with a skill calculator to see how things can match up.

Professions: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Profession (each one has a page, and each page has a link to all their weapons, all their abilities, and how things work with the class)
    Skill Tool: http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/ <-- usually fairly up to date, but everythign is subject to change obviously. Also not complete, lots of unannounced or unseen skills.

[Edit] Example Mage Build: http://gw2.luna-atra.fr/skills_tool/...5&switch=7b284
    Not necessarily the best but lots of utility and movement,defense, and the melee/mid range aspect that Dagger/Dagger provides can be a fun melee caster.
    Last edited by Daegalus; 2011-10-17 at 09:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    where ever you are when you've just had a long fight against another player, to screw up your day
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    To me that means more. Instead of blind zealots, their vision of justice is so strong it gives them the power to see it through. That is pimpin.
    Paladins get their power of the light from seeing good within themselves a paladin gets its power from a state of mind, weather they use a cause/deity to help put them in that state of mind doesn't matter but its about seeing pure virtue within themselves a paladins training is meditation and combat training so they know how to use a weapon. Sound pretty similar to the Strong vision of justice

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vilhelm1992 View Post
    Paladins get their power of the light from seeing good within themselves a paladin gets its power from a state of mind, weather they use a cause/deity to help put them in that state of mind doesn't matter but its about seeing pure virtue within themselves a paladins training is meditation and combat training so they know how to use a weapon. Sound pretty similar to the Strong vision of justice
    But in the end, paladins still worship the light, whether they are just blind zealots thinking they are so pure and blah blah blah (scarlets) that they can wield it, or if they're bible thumping belfs/humans/ Dranei/ Dwarves /Lore breaking taurens, it all comes back to the light, guardian would be more of a heavily armored mage that is very just
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    *Shakes head at all these silly people trying to compare such a gorgeous, young game to an old hag* tsk tsk.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    There really isn't a profession in GW2 that plays like a Shaman. The Elementalist uses the elements like an elemental shaman, but still doesn't play like one. I was hoping for a Druid / Shaman type class, but maybe they will have something like those in an expansion. I want a melee/caster, warmage or enhance shaman profession.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalla View Post
    Actually the "states" are Fire, Water, Electricity, and Earth..not air. At least I dont think its air because the ele skills are lightning like.
    Electricity is not an element

It's always Fire/Water/Earth/Air, even though Water often includes ice, and earth sometimes includes "nature", while Air is Wind/Lightning.

Engineer. Throw down turrets like totems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyve View Post

It's always Fire/Water/Earth/Air, even though Water often includes ice, and earth sometimes includes "nature", while Air is Wind/Lightning.
    well that I know now haha someone told me it was Air..so crazy though haha it all looks electric..oh well. I don't know if I'll play an Elementalist anyway.

10+ Year Old Account

Earth almost never includes nature.... but the other ones happen a lot
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    Earth almost never includes nature.... but the other ones happen a lot
    Like I said - sometimes - and I wasn't really stating it specifically for Guild Wars, but rather for the use of "elements" in general, which also includes Warcraft Shamans, who use Earth as Nature primarily.

Elementalist with earth powers is probably closest to WoW's shaman in GW2.

Including GW1, you'd have to go with something like elementalist/ritualist to be closest to shaman.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like I said - sometimes - and I wasn't really stating it specifically for Guild Wars, but rather for the use of "elements" in general, which also includes Warcraft Shamans, who use Earth as Nature primarily.
    actually, in wow air, earth, and water magic are all just classified as nature magic... they're not saying that earth magic = nature magic(plant life and such)

10+ Year Old Account
    What are you all on about? Everyone knows the 5th element is love!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    What are you all on about? Everyone knows the 5th element is love!
    Multipass!
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Deleted
    It depends if you like the play-style or the theme of the class.

In any case, don't expect to find a direct equivalent of the Shaman class in GW2. Instead, different aspects of the class will be spread across multiple professions.

You'd have to be more specific about what you like about Shamans for us to give you good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    actually, in wow air, earth, and water magic are all just classified as nature magic... they're not saying that earth magic = nature magic(plant life and such)
    No, that's not really true. I mean shamans have their 4 elemental totems for fire, earth, air and water, and lore-wise there's primarily water, fire, air and earth elementals, but usually no "Nature" elementals.
    The damage types is something entirely different

10+ Year Old Account
    No, that's not really true. I mean shamans have their 4 elemental totems for fire, earth, air and water, and lore-wise there's primarily water, fire, air and earth elementals, but usually no "Nature" elementals.
    The damage types is something entirely different
    Lol sorry meant to say the damage of those were considered "nature" where as in many other games lightning is air dmg, water and ice are same damage, ad that earth an nature are -usually- in their own categories (there are exceptions of course)

While I do agree that people shouldn't compare WoW classes to GW2 classes, the Elementalist could play alot like the shaman if you want it too. You can pick up daggers as MH/OH weapons and basically become a melee elementalist, playing alot like the enhance shaman, water attunement will enable you to heal, etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggetmagic View Post
    Really, this thread should be closed, because there is no class in GW2 that behaves like a Shaman. Yes, the Elementalist uses elements a Shaman player might find similar, but it does not/will not play anything like it. It is for all intents and purposes, the Mage of GW2. I would be suprised if you could find more than a handful of spells similar to that of WoW's Shaman, and just because the Elementalist can pick up a CQC weapon, it does not mean it will play/feel like a Shaman.
    Elementalists have "Healing Rain"
    They also have the ability to summon weapons, which is a bit similar to Shamans and their weapon enchantments. A bit.
    I'm also sure there are more similarities than that (like some sort of chain-lightning possibly).

Anyhow, the point was that he was looking for a class that's similar to a shaman, and Elementalist is the one that's getting the closest to it - nobody said it's a "perfect" fit.