10+ Year Old Account

Need some help for my deathtrap.

Sooo, I have this secret little base. Theme: Doomy evil cave of doom with some more doom. All out of stone, loads of lavapillars, and a big obsidian throne with... lava. So, this throne, is on the second half of a circular platform. The thing I try to make, is a deathtrap on the other half, specifically 3x2. It can't really be 2x2 because the pathways I have are all 5 or 3 wide, so having a trap covering only 2 blocks wide won't really do.
    The platform is surrounded by lava, but I have plenty of space under this trap. The problem I have tho, it seems like it is not possible to make a 3x2 deathtrap, that opens up and pulls to the sides, so I can have a pit of lava. All the guides I have seen all are either 2x2, or involve redstone torches under the opening floor, where my lava will be. Any ideas how to do this? Anything that can create a "this-is-sparta" hole of at least 3 by 2 would do, with the limitation of no use of the walls, because there are no walls next to it.

If anyone knows if it is possible in some way, would be great didn't work too much with pistons, so might have forgotten something.
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

You don't hide anything that can open up and pull to the sides. As far as I'm aware at least.

You can make collapsing floors of sand/gravel but that' only assuming it's 2 blocks wide. Youll need either sticking pstons or torches (and tons of patience if using torches)

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, the idea was to make a triple sticky piston for every single block that disappears, 2 pistons pushing another piston and a block on top forward, and then the third piston pushes the block upwards. It has been done a lot in 2 by 2 already, but seems impossible for 3x2 or bigger... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpC65DvTrzs is an example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8sYI...eature=related even has a guide, but it doesn't work for 3x2

---------- Post added 2011-09-29 at 01:37 PM ----------

Trying to find slimes for these sticky pistons (survival mode multiplayer server), would love to know if anyone has an idea to make this 3x2 hole work...
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.

I made a 3 by 2 walkway that was covered in lava and when you pushed a lever it would uncover a bridge to stand on. It wouldn't be a pit per say and as a death trap well..they could just jump out but it's similar I suppose. Don't know if it is what you're after though. Let me know.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, I could of course use the lava around the platform, and make it a bit deeper, but you would indeed just be able to jump out of it... If only sticky pistons pulled more than one block back, it would be pretty easy to make what I'm after, I think.

Hmmm, I could also of course make a big curtain of lava coming from the sky, too bad it always falls so slowly. I am using quite some lava curtains already in that cave, but I'm quite looking for something that would be certain death... (our multiplayer server has it's history of death traps, have yet to get a really good one together:/

Quote Originally Posted by Szemere View Post
    Hmm, I could of course use the lava around the platform, and make it a bit deeper, but you would indeed just be able to jump out of it... If only sticky pistons pulled more than one block back, it would be pretty easy to make what I'm after, I think.

Hmmm, I could also of course make a big curtain of lava coming from the sky, too bad it always falls so slowly. I am using quite some lava curtains already in that cave, but I'm quite looking for something that would be certain death... (our multiplayer server has it's history of death traps, have yet to get a really good one together:/
    I would think maybe something would work using water, torches and sand. Water will knock out torches which will cause sand to fall due to gravity. Ooh..I think I got something, dig a really big pit, put a piston going to the side instead of up/down and have it blocking off some water. Then put a torch near it and sand atop the torch. When the water takes out the torch the sand will fall along with the player. Below is a diagram of what I mean. On top of the torch would be a block of sand that falls when the water kills the torch and below it would be a big pit. I'm not sure how you'd do anything more than one block though because of the way water flows. And it seems posting this screws it up but the water should be by the extended part of the piston not the starting block.

[Water]
    [Active piston] [Piston extended] [Torch]

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm, so I could make my entire platform floor out of gravel (got loads of the shit), and then make a one-use-only trap, like this:

G=gravel, P=piston, Q=extension of that piston, T=normal torch from coal, W=water.

GGGGGGGG
    GGWGGWGG
    GPQTTQPG
    GGG--GGG

And then I just make a really deep trap, with lava sourceblocks a few blocks above the bottom... Then make a seperate maintenance tunnel to remove the gravel blocks afterwards.
    Downside, water falls on lava, lava gone. Is there a thing that only lets players fall through, but not water? That way I could drain it. I mean, even opening the water to flow for one second, wouldn't prevent it from getting to the bottom of the pit...

EDIT: the lava part is kinda the idea, cuz it's a whole cave filled with the shit, would be a nice touch to have death by lava. Could of course also make it a really dark hole filled with (hopefully spawning, survival map) mobs, but that would be a backup plan:P
    Last edited by Szemere; 2011-09-29 at 02:15 PM.

Well, you don't need lava at the bottom. That was a separate idea. If you make the pit big enough they'll die from fall damage and you could set it up again just redo the torches and sand. Also I just thought of an idea using trap doors with sand or gravel on top so you can't see them. Would function the same way and wouldn't require the use of water. Then just wire them all together using repeaters and redstone to a button and should be good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone on another minecraft forum actually managed to solve it =D

http://www.minecraftforum.net/topic/...h-pistons-3x2/

Gonna try and implement it on a singleplayer before grinding the mats on multiplayer, should get it to work tho

Might actually put the pit of falling sand in my sandstone-glowstone-lava pyramid, yeah, I'm pretty addicted to lava (already lost gear worth about 20 pieces of diamond total by dying in fire. I am so pro (yeah, I needed the diamond shit cuz I require my throne to be obsidian + lava xD)