Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sacrypheyes View Post
    as long as it doesn't take several minutes of loading to get from one zone to another, i don't see why i'd care.
    i can't think of a decent recent game with ZERO loading screens so... (speaking of pc games that is)
    Try Batman Arkham Asylum. Only has a loading screen when you get into the game first (which is only 5 sec or so).

I don't understand how a game released 7 years ago (WoW) can have almost seamless transitions between zones with no loading screens, and no funneling either, yet GW2 being developed now cannot do either of those things. I really like everything I see about GW2, but this particular aspect really seems like an issue we should not be having in 2011.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    I don't understand how a game released 7 years ago (WoW) can have almost seamless transitions between zones with no loading screens, and no funneling either, yet GW2 being developed now cannot do either of those things. I really like everything I see about GW2, but this particular aspect really seems like an issue we should not be having in 2011.
    Because it wasn't actually seamless and you weren't getting the whole continent at a time. When you're in The Barrens Ashenvale isn't actually there till you get close to it and you don't see other characters until they're in close proximity to you. They're doing things but until they're close enough to see they're just a little data point with a name.

This is also why you can't talk to someone in Asenvale in general chat until you're actually in Ashenvale. Chat in WoW acts like a Chat room with different channels. The Guild and Player Made channels are global.

There are also miniscule lag spikes when you change zones in WoW.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure there are a lot of things you don't understand. I'd imagine a factor is the amount of DEs in a zone and that they expect hundreds of people to be participating concurrently in some of those. Just a guess, but they have their reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Because it wasn't actually seamless and you weren't getting the whole continent at a time. When you're in The Barrens Ashenvale isn't actually there till you get close to it and you don't see other characters until they're in close proximity to you. They're doing things but until they're close enough to see they're just a little data point with a name.

This is also why you can't talk to someone in Asenvale in general chat until you're actually in Ashenvale. Chat in WoW acts like a Chat room with different channels. The Guild and Player Made channels are global.

wonder how many times we had to explain this throughout this part of the forums. lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimusmc View Post
    wonder how many times we had to explain this throughout this part of the forums. lol
    Enough for me to start keeping this stuff on note pad documents...

don't blame ya there.. i also get tired of typing it out.

copy+paste ftw

You're proving my point. I'll take take a minuscule lag spike and the inability to see things that are too far away for my graphics card to render over a loading screen any day.

10+ Year Old Account
    How long is a loading screen though? 1-3s who cares, 30-45s annoying, over 1min now that's just pissing me off. I'll have a new SSD by the time the game comes out and as long as I can get a sub 3s load time I won't even care.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    You're proving my point. I'll take take a minuscule lag spike and the inability to see things that are too far away for my graphics card to render over a loading screen any day.
    And yet what goes on in a WoW zone? Is there anything dynamic? No. Nothing is changing. NPC Spawn Points and Quest hubs are essentially all that is there. That has minimal impact on memory. With Guild Wars 2, ENTIRE MAPS will be changing constantly, coupled with zones being Barrens size + that takes a greater load. Also WoW zones aren't designed to handle hundreds of people in the same relative location. Look at the lag fests Org/ SW become, especially in the Valley of Honor and Trade zones.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    How long is a loading screen though? 1-3s who cares, 30-45s annoying, over 1min now that's just pissing me off. I'll have a new SSD by the time the game comes out and as long as I can get a sub 3s load time I won't even care.
    Chances are the loading screens will be similar to GW1 in the regard that it takes a several seconds to load the first time, and then every time thereafter it will be quickly done.

As I said whenever I posted in this thread. I like the loading screens because I like GW's art work. More importantly I barely had a chance to think, let alone get annoyed with the loading screens in gw1.

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoy loading screens, it's always such pretty art

Quote Originally Posted by morlem View Post
    I'll be ok with loading screens. But its almost a fact that haters will use loading screens as there big insult against the game.
    "Sorry but i don't want to play loading screens the game"
    Look forward to that and a bunch of other asinine shit like that when talking to guild wars 2 haters.
    Welcome to the internet. People cry about everything if they for some reason dislike a game, just like WoW is always the worst game on earth once people stop playing it because of (list a hundred stupid reasons here).
    Draenor EU: Archavious - Level 120 Warlock ; Loaen - Level 120 Demon Hunter ; Arathia - Level 120 Paladin ; Mitosis - Level 110 Priest ; Toreck - Level 110 Hunter ; Aeralinde - Level 110 Mage ; Crikey - Level 110 Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    There we go.. When you port you'll be in a small loading screen for a few seconds. And look at that art. You're not going to complain about this do you?
    Definitely... I don't mind loading screens, as long as they're not (long)... But I don't care for GW2's 'award winning' art style either...

-Alamar

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AlamarAtMMOC View Post
    But I don't care for GW2's 'award winning' art style either...
    That award winning art style that the entire world design team is basing the terrains, cities, races and armors off of?

And really, why do you write your name at the end, we know who's posting.

That award winning art style that the entire world design team is basing the terrains, cities, races and armors off of?

And really, why do you write your name at the end, we know who's posting.
    I agree with everything you just said blaznsmri. Especially the second fact. ha

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
    I enjoy loading screens, it's always such pretty art
    Wouldn't it be easier to buy a couple posters or print out some pictures and hang them by your computer desk?