Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I also prefer to keep my target on the boss so that I can see what he's doing while I just mouseover to heal. So yeah, I hope they put in macros or else I'll just stay Commando dps instead of heals.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by shitngiggles View Post
    Move mouse to unit frame to be healed, click, use healing ability by pressing hotkey

Move mouse to unit frame to be healed, use healing ability by pressing hotkey

Now which one of these is more efficient?

Selecting people by pressing hotkey..eh, just no.
    Actually, this is how I often click healed:

Click on the frame of the first person who needs healing. Press the healing hotkey. Start looking for next person who needs to be healed.

As the heal is casting, click on the frame of the next person who needs healing. Start looking for the next person who needs healing.

Once the first heal is complete (or the CD is up) press the healing hotkey to start healing the second person.

As the heal is casting, click on the frame of the next person who needs healing. Start looking for the next person who needs healing.

Basically, click healing allows you to look one heal ahead and make a choice befiore the previous heal has even started. This is why my heals were often faster than anyone else's. Of course you need to be alert to change your mind for emergency heals.

Quote Originally Posted by ptwonline View Post
    Actually, this is how I often click healed:

Click on the frame of the first person who needs healing. Press the healing hotkey. Start looking for next person who needs to be healed.

Once the first heal is complete (or the CD is up) press the healing hotkey to start healing the second person.

Basically, click healing allows you to look one heal ahead and make a choice befiore the previous heal has even started. This is why my heals were often faster than anyone else's. Of course you need to be alert to change your mind for emergency heals.
    And why wouldn't you be able to use this method with mouseover macros? Because you can. You just mouseover instead of click. Mouseover - heal - if it's an instant heal then move your mouseover to the next person during the GCD - heal next guy. Clicking is an unneeded middle man.

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have given up arguing with people that want to click their mouse an extra time for no good reason, and refuse to believe that mouseover macros are faster and better. It's one of those things where people have made it work for them and they can do it, and so now they don't want to acknowledge that another way is better, even if it clearly is.

Quote Originally Posted by Worgoblin View Post
    It's my understanding that add-ons are not going to be in a launch (or ever?). Does this mean healing is going to require clicking on a target and then pushing your heal hotkey?
    Yes, which means I absolutely will not be healing.

No addons, no macros = click to heal.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    And why wouldn't you be able to use this method with mouseover macros? Because you can. You just mouseover instead of click. Mouseover - heal - if it's an instant heal then move your mouseover to the next person during the GCD - heal next guy. Clicking is an unneeded middle man.
    The difference is that with mouseover, my mouse has to be positioned fairly precisely at the moment I have to press my hotkey, which takes a bit more attention that I could have been using to do a quick scan for the next best target to heal, and my target selection could even be lost entirely if I also have to hit other keys at the same time to move suddenly and it throws my mouse off a little bit. A click healer can actually have his mouse pointing anywhere when he hits his hotkey because the target is already selected, which opens up the possibility of being faster to hit a lesser-used ability not hotkeyed or interacting with a UI/onscreen element.

The "click" happens during a short downtime (unless somehow all your heals are instant and no-CD) and so no time is lost, it ensures precision of target selection, and frees up your eyes and your mouse a fraction more. I used mouseover healing for a while and found that it slowed me down slightly to ensure precision of target selection, made me feel more reactive instead of proactive (I could only look 1 heal ahead instead of 2 heals ahead), and also gave me a splitting headache because I had to concentrate on it more to make sure the right target got the heals. So after a few weeks I swapped back.

I think they stated in the developer tracker somewhere (swtor website) that they will implement something for healers asap, such as macros or mouseover healing.

I wouldn't be suprised if they implemented it soon after launch, but until then you will have to click heal.

And then you have to move from fire and cant heal your target without keyboardturning.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillpapps View Post
    And then you have to move from fire and cant heal your target without keyboardturning.
    Why in the world would you keyboard turn when you can just press your A or D to strafe. Using your mouse to turn is inefficient when you can just strafe out of danger.

Why in the world would you keyboard turn when you can just press your A or D to strafe. Using your mouse to turn is inefficient when you can just strafe out of danger.
    This ^

I hate to even bring it up but I am.

Druid healing in WOW. While click healing was not terrible it was however inefficient. Having an addon that healed for me was way over the top and did take away from what you were playing the toon in the first place.

However, a mouse over macro still required you to be engaged in the encounters. As long as your curser was over the toon, you could hot key and heal them. You could heal them much smoother and through the raid bars or you could hover over their actual toon on the screen and heal that way if you liked to watch health bar on the toons themselves.

As far as moving from fire, read what was above, just strafe. I healed pretty much every encounter from all the way through WoTLK and the mouse over macro was probably the handiest thing. It will be a disappointment if some macros don't make it in.

Addons however, I could live without. They caused more issues than they solved.

Strafing is often the right answer, but not always.

Strafing is often the right answer, but not always.
    I stopped answering you because it was pretty clear you wouldn't be swayed from clicking. I've played with great healers who click and great healers who use mouseover macros, so I'll just respect your opinion as much as I respect the opinion of the resto druid that 2 healed Sinestra 10man with me who loved click healing.

I stopped answering you because it was pretty clear you wouldn't be swayed from clicking. I've played with great healers who click and great healers who use mouseover macros, so I'll just respect your opinion as much as I respect the opinion of the resto druid that 2 healed Sinestra 10man with me who loved click healing.
    Indeed: use what works best for you. One solution is not always the best for everyone, which is why I take some umbrage at the "mouseover healing is better!" claims. For some people it will be. Just don't assume that it will be for everyone.

The standard UI looks terrible for healers, so I look forward to any changes to benefit us in the future

10+ Year Old Account
    Clicking doesn't work in an environment that is a DPS/heal checker and punishes you for being a half second slow. If the boss fights are more about skill and less about how many buttons you can mash, then healing won't be as big an issue. Plus I swear I read somewhere that there's a lot of hots.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

In WoW i've only ever healed using mouse over macros so all they need to do is add the option to mouse over target and I'm happy.

Lightning. It flashes bright, then... fades away. It can't protect. It only destroys

10+ Year Old Account
    The difference is that with mouseover, my mouse has to be positioned fairly precisely at the moment I have to press my hotkey, which takes a bit more attention that I could have been using to do a quick scan for the next best target to heal, and my target selection could even be lost entirely if I also have to hit other keys at the same time to move suddenly and it throws my mouse off a little bit. A click healer can actually have his mouse pointing anywhere when he hits his hotkey because the target is already selected, which opens up the possibility of being faster to hit a lesser-used ability not hotkeyed or interacting with a UI/onscreen element.

The "click" happens during a short downtime (unless somehow all your heals are instant and no-CD) and so no time is lost, it ensures precision of target selection, and frees up your eyes and your mouse a fraction more. I used mouseover healing for a while and found that it slowed me down slightly to ensure precision of target selection, made me feel more reactive instead of proactive (I could only look 1 heal ahead instead of 2 heals ahead), and also gave me a splitting headache because I had to concentrate on it more to make sure the right target got the heals. So after a few weeks I swapped back.
    I hear ya. For instance I often move my camera by depressing my right mouse button and panning the camera to change my direction facing. I wouldn't want to lose time by having to re-position the cursor over the appropriate frames. Course, there's no logical reason why you cannot combine click AND mouseover healing - IE: click healing still works if a frame isn't mouse over, otherwise the mouseover takes precendence.

---------- Post added 2011-10-01 at 03:55 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wugan View Post
    I have given up arguing with people that want to click their mouse an extra time for no good reason, and refuse to believe that mouseover macros are faster and better. It's one of those things where people have made it work for them and they can do it, and so now they don't want to acknowledge that another way is better, even if it clearly is.
    Perhaps, but nobody in this thread is 'refusing to believe that mouseover macros are faster and better'. There are however a few of us stating reasons why click healing is still viable.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know people who click heal and can pump out just as much HPS as people who mouse over and addon heal. As previously said in response to people saying its less efficient you're assuming you have to wait until the heal is cast before you click and heal the next, in reality someone who can actually heal knows you click as the heal is already casting so this 0.1 extra time doesn't exist. Also, yes the same system does exist in TOR.

Thats not to say which is more skillful or which to prefer, but it will barely effect your ability to heal other than requiring abit more effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Nirawen View Post
    I know people who click heal and can pump out just as much HPS as people who mouse over and addon heal. As previously said in response to people saying its less efficient you're assuming you have to wait until the heal is cast before you click and heal the next, in reality someone who can actually heal knows you click as the heal is already casting so this 0.1 extra time doesn't exist. Also, yes the same system does exist in TOR.

Thats not to say which is more skillful or which to prefer, but it will barely effect your ability to heal other than requiring abit more effort.
    It is not as efficient.

You can say that it can be equally efficient in performance, but you cannot claim that it's equally efficient on your side of the keyboard.

You're wasting motion by adding in the clicks, you're adding in the chance that you will mistakenly mistime your click and miss a heal, you're wasting valuable milliseconds thinking, checking, and ensuring your heals hit the target - time that should be used steering yourself out of fire. You're adding in even more valuable time waster to heal yourself, to move out of fire (especially while trying to heal), and to keep up dots or stack archangel (in the case of a dpriest).

It's obviously less efficient.
    Just because YOU can make it "not in-efficient" doesn't change that.

It's just like clicking vs keybinding, you may be of the opinion that it is equal, but it isn't, and you may do equally well under certain circumstances, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smashzu View Post
    It is not as efficient.

You can say that it can be equally efficient in performance, but you cannot claim that it's equally efficient on your side of the keyboard.
    Which is what I did.