Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Deleted

Maelstrom Was Created By Deathwing

Okay, so far WoW lore fans have taken it for granted that the Maelstrom, the gigantic rift at the center of the Great Sea, was formed when the Well of Eternity collapsed into itself during the Great Sundering about 10000 years before WoW's timeline, at the end of the War of the Ancients.

This could not be further from the truth as I will show.

I call myself a Young Maelstrom Creationism Advocate (YMCA), I am an expert on WoW lore, and I believe that the Maelstrom was created by Deathwing around 5 or 6 months ago in WoW's timeline, when the Cataclysm began NOT hundreds and THOUSANDS of years ago. Before that it did not exist in Warcraft lore. But when Deathwing decided to break out of Deepholm (which is literally at the center of Azeroth contrary to what Elemental Plane theorists say, it's not in the Twisting Nether, it is merely cloaked by a magical layer beneath Azeroth's crust as can be seen in Deepholm's ceiling) he created this rift by shattering the World Pillar into 3 fragments. Why 3? 3 is the number of perfection. If it had been more, Azeroth may have all crumbled.

When the World Pillar was damaged, all the ground above held by this Magical Pillar crumbled and so the Maelstrom was formed. Deathwing then used powerful incantations to break thru the infinite magical substance between Azeroth's crust and Deepholm.

Aggra clearly states that the Maelstrom is a rift between Deepholm and Azeroth and that it threatens to destroy Azeroth. If it had been 10000 years old as War of the Ancients historians say, it would have destroyed Azeroth ages ago:

"We're at the center of the Maelstrom, the rift between Deepholm and our world. Watch, as it threatens to tear our world apart."

"Let us hope Thrall and the others can contain it while you're inside." - Aggra

So if it needs "containment" from the most powerful Shaman, why has it existed for 10000 years without harming Azeroth or the islands near it? The answer is quite simple, it is recently formed, created by an intelligence and as a deliberate act (by Deathwing) not by some random explosion. It is a known fact that the Well of Eternity never exploded, it still exists beneath the World Tree in Kalimdor.

Further evidence:

Vashj'ir is perfectly fine-tuned with sea life, plant life and beautiful underwater landscape. It is simply impossible to form from a random explosion.

Remember that Thrall on his way to Kalimdor the first time, he went to the center of the Great Sea... but he didn't find some magical whirlpool created by random explosion. He found a troll island of the Darkspear. Perhaps that is linked in some way. Maybe the witch sunk it and Deathwing used the magical residue to sink it completely and cause a massive hole in Azeroth's crust...

BTW, you know the rocks at the Maelstrom? They don't look 10000 years old, they look very recent, like the explosion of the Cataclysm made them only recently.

Common War of the Ancientists' objections:

1. It's talked about in Warcraft 3. - "Maelstrom" is a broader term that can mean many other things, for example it can mean storm, there are also other smaller maelstroms in Azeroth.

2. Why doesn't the water fall into Deepholm, it should be flooded - Water cannot pass thru the magical substances between Azeroth and Deepholm, only living beings attuned (and their armors) can. Water simply cannot, it just keeps spinning.

3. What happened to 80% of the landmass? It is likely that the landmass disappeared NOT from the Well exploding, but by some evil Burning Legion magic in the final battle or a Highbourne spell gone wrong.

4. Why was there a Maelstrom on vanilla WoW's map then? Simple, Blizzard had it planned. Vanilla WoW is alpha Cataclysm, notice how the bosses are Ragnaros/Nefarian and there are Twilight cultists everywhere, especially in Silithus.

It's a shame that wowwiki is so biased in favor of old Maelstrom and War of the Ancient version. They should present both sides of the controversy and let lore fans decide what they want to believe. And we all know Blizzard like to distort their own stories (so-called "retcons").

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post
    Okay, so far WoW lore fans have taken it for granted that the Maelstrom, the gigantic rift at the center of the Great Sea, was formed when the Well of Eternity collapsed into itself during the Great Sundering about 10000 years before WoW's timeline, at the end of the War of the Ancients.

I call myself a Young Maelstrom Creationism Advocate (YMCA), I am an expert on WoW lore, and I believe that the Maelstrom was created by Deathwing around 5 or 6 months ago in WoW's timeline, when the Cataclysm began NOT hundreds and THOUSANDS of years ago. Before that it did not exist in Warcraft lore. But when Deathwing decided to break out of Deepholm (which is literally at the center of Azeroth contrary to what Elemental Plane theorists say, it's not in the Twisting Nether, it is merely cloaked by a magical layer beneath Azeroth's crust as can be seen in Deepholm's ceiling) he created this rift by shattering the World Pillar into 3 fragments. Why 3? 3 is the number of perfection. If it had been more, Azeroth may have all crumbled.

When the World Pillar was damaged, all the ground above held by this Magical Pillar crumbled and so the Maelstrom was formed. Deathwing then used powerful incantations to break thru the infinite magical substance between Azeroth's crust and Deepholm.

Aggra clearly states that the Maelstrom is a rift between Deepholm and Azeroth and that it threatens to destroy Azeroth. If it had been 10000 years old as War of the Ancients historians say, it would have destroyed Azeroth ages ago:

"We're at the center of the Maelstrom, the rift between Deepholm and our world. Watch, as it threatens to tear our world apart."

So if it needs "containment" from the most powerful Shaman, why has it existed for 10000 years without harming Azeroth or the islands near it? The answer is quite simple, it is recently formed, created by an intelligence and as a deliberate act (by Deathwing) not by some random explosion. It is a known fact that the Well of Eternity never exploded, it still exists beneath the World Tree in Kalimdor.

Further evidence:

Vashj'ir is perfectly fine-tuned with sea life, plant life and beautiful underwater landscape. It is simply impossible to form from a random explosion.

Remember that Thrall on his way to Kalimdor the first time, he went to the center of the Great Sea... but he didn't find some magical whirlpool created by random explosion. He found a troll island of the Darkspear. Perhaps that is linked in some way. Maybe the witch sunk it and Deathwing used the magical residue to sink it completely and cause a massive hole in Azeroth's crust...

BTW, you know the rocks at the Maelstrom? They don't look 10000 years old, they look very recent, like the explosion of the Cataclysm made them only recently.

1. It's talked about in Warcraft 3. - "Maelstrom" is a broader term that can mean many other things, for example it can mean storm, there are also other smaller maelstroms in Azeroth.

2. Why doesn't the water fall into Deepholm, it should be flooded - Water cannot pass thru the magical substances between Azeroth and Deepholm, only living beings attuned (and their armors) can. Water simply cannot, it just keeps spinning.

3. What happened to 80% of the landmass? It is likely that the landmass disappeared NOT from the Well exploding, but by some evil Burning Legion magic in the final battle or a Highbourne spell gone wrong.

4. Why was there a Maelstrom on vanilla WoW's map then? Simple, Blizzard had it planned. Vanilla WoW is alpha Cataclysm, notice how the bosses are Ragnaros/Nefarian and there are Twilight cultists everywhere, especially in Silithus.

It's a shame that wowwiki is so biased in favor of old Maelstrom and War of the Ancient version. They should present both sides of the controversy and let lore fans decide what they want to believe. And we all know Blizzard like to distort their own stories (so-called "retcons").
    1. the landmass was destroyed....
    2. The maelstrom has been there ever since the implosion of the well of eternity...hence also before cata...

From the Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos manual:
    As the aftershocks from the Well of Eternity's implosion rattled the bones of the world, the seas rushed in to fill the gaping wound left in the earth. Nearly eighty percent of Kalimdor's landmass had been blasted apart, leaving only a handful of separate continents surrounding the new, raging sea. At the center of the new sea, where the Well of Eternity once stood, was a tumultuous storm of tidal fury and chaotic energies. This terrible scar, known as the Maelstrom, would never cease its furious spinning. It would remain a constant reminder of the terrible catastrophe... and the Utopian era that had been lost forever.

I'm in a quantum state between applauding you for the lore-rage you've just caused and facepalming myself into a coma. Thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maelstrom was created by explosion of Well of Eternity.

/thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lore Expert? You have no idea what you're talking about. First of all, the well of eternity beneath Nordrassil was artificially created. Second of all, deepholme is not physically connected to Azeroth like you claim it is. The maelstrom has been around for 10,000 years and Deathwing bursting out of it simply caused it to become unstable. Vashj'ir was never part of the maelstrom, it was on the outskirts of the explosion and sunk into the ocean, even if it was hit by the explosion 10,000 years is a lot of time for life to come back.

I think this guy is pulling our leg

Quote Originally Posted by Thunderaan View Post

Further evidence:

In Warcraft III, when Thrall's fleet crashed, they made an emergency landing on an island near the Maelstrom where they found a group of trolls fighting desperately against human colonists and murloc invaders. The island was destroyed (though not by the Maelstrom), with Thrall barely escaping. He landed on an island NEAR THE MAELSTROM...

10+ Year Old Account
    They flat out stated at one point that the Maelstrom was stable until Deathwing emerged and shattered the world pillar. My understanding is that the World Pillar is what was keeping the Maelstrom from completely sucking everything into it.

EVen with Blizz being as flippant as they are with their lore, the fact that the Maelstrom resulted when the Well of Eternity exploded has always been canon.

As for your "recent" rock outcroppings, do keep in mind that there is only so much detail and texturing possible with the WoW engine. It's also quite feasible that Thrall and the other Earthen Ring members raised the outcroppings from the seafloor so that they had something to take shelter on.
    That fabric softener teddy bear...oooh I'm 'a hunt that little bitch down.

Deleted
    -the well of eternity did explode, but illidan filled something of it into a vial and then tried to create a second one in hyjal (where his brother then decided to let a new world tree grow)

-thrall had to stop the maelstrom from breaking apart because...its like you try to push something through a small hole and the hole breaks at the edge

Deleted
    Wow... just wow.

You call yourself an Expert on WoW lore but you don't know about the Maelstrom, Sundering or the War of the Ancients?

Deathwing's Shattering caused the gap between the Elemental Planes and the physical world to become unstable, which is why the Elements where all confused and angry etc. It also meant that we could access the Elemental Planes a lot easier. The Earthern Plane was accessible through the Maelstrom. Thrall and the other Shamans were making sure that the Maelstrom didn't collapse in on it's self, sending the physical world into the Earthern Plane and most likely destroying all life on Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dancing Turkey View Post
    I think this guy is pulling our leg
    People often can't tell the difference between satire and sincerity. Especially well-done satire. Like this. Seriously people, think for a moment before respon...eh, what am I saying?

Quote Originally Posted by Scuravolpe View Post
    People often can't tell the difference between satire and sincerity. Especially well-done satire. Like this. Seriously people, think for a moment before respon...eh, what am I saying?
    Indeed so true

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm in a quantum state between applauding you for the lore-rage you've just caused and facepalming myself into a coma. Thank you.
    The lore-rage is the most amusing part. Just watch how many will come and tear the OP part, completely missing the point of the thread. Already have one above me.

EDIT: Heh, looks like 8 or 9 posts popped up while I was writing this.

Is this the 3rd time or the 4th time you've posted this exact thread?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Lore Expert? You have no idea what you're talking about. First of all, the well of eternity beneath Nordrassil was artificially created.
    Well of course it was, it is the Titans' pefect creation.

Second of all, deepholme is not physically connected to Azeroth like you claim it is.
    Deepholme has many caverns and geodes you would expect to find at the center of Azeroth and also its close proximity to Kezan is demonstrable because of one simple fact: ring worms.

There are ring worms in Kezan caverns.
    There are ring worms in Deepholme.

If you look really close you can also see all of the ocean above Deepholme.

The maelstrom has been around for 10,000 years and Deathwing bursting out of it simply caused it to become unstable.
    The rocks near the Maelstrom show clear signs of having been formed a few months ago. Therefore the Maelstrom was also formed a few months ago.

Old Maelstromists need to account for the rocky formations.

Vashj'ir was never part of the maelstrom, it was on the outskirts of the explosion and sunk into the ocean, even if it was hit by the explosion 10,000 years is a lot of time for life to come back.
    So you mean exploded burned zone + time = life? That's not logical.

10+ Year Old Account
    Relax guys, it's just a joke. God, don't take everything so seriously, and don't get your panties so wet when you see a chance to correct someone over the internet that you can't think straight. Otherwise you end up looking foolish.

10+ Year Old Account
    As am I. But all the folks falling on the wrong side of Poe's Law are slowly but steadily tipping me toward the facepalm end of the spectrum.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

10+ Year Old Account
    I fell for the troll. Shame on me

Well played sir well played....
    also bravo on naming yourself YMCA!
    Sometimes you just have to stop healing some people to prove a point, if they don't listen, it's really their own fault :P

Was about to go into a hardcore lore-rage upon seeing the title. I was already forming similar responses to others in this thread about you clearly didn't know warcraft lore, theories were ridiculous, yadda, yadda, blah, blah, etc. 2 Lines in, I was laughing from the satire. Well done sir, with your somewhat overt jab at young-earth creationists, though this STILL SEEMS TO BE GOING OVER PEOPLES' HEADS.

Read it again people before you rage. It's a joke. And a good one at that.
    I've played a balance druid and an arms warrior since the release of Vanilla WoW, simply because they are fun and I like the play styles. Enjoy the game.