Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Deleted

do you have any dogs? :)

hello offtopic

well my family has decided it wants to get a dog, but we cannot decide which one, so i have come to off topic for help :P what pet dogs do people here have, what are they like. waht size house you got and garden / yard.
    we have a small-medium house but a small garden. but we live in the country side so a lot of open space a few mins walk and a beach about 3mins away.
    bonus points if you post a pic of your dog in here :P
    i personally want an English springer spaniel, a few of my friends have them and i have never played with a more awesome breed of dog, but i dont think we have a big enough house / garden for it to run in.

to clarify, there are no young children or other pets to consider, just me (19) my mother and a 15yr old
    so what dog would you reccomend mmo-C ?

10+ Year Old Account
    I have a Black Labrador and a Dalmatian, they are at the low end of the large dog scale. I can very highly recommend getting a Labrador, I have had 3 in my life and they are the best and most well tempered dogs. My house is pretty big with a small garden but we often take them to the beach, on bush walks and swimming in the lake when I go kayaking. So yeah, I can definitely recommend a Labrador, and try to get a girl they are usually easier to look after. They (like most dogs) are faithful and loyal companions. Oh and DO NOT GET A DALMATIAN. They will drive you mental. Seriously.

EDIT: Make sure that you do research on what ever dog breed you are thinking of getting.

Last edited by Terranullis; 2011-09-29 at 08:47 PM.

I'll recommend Beagle. I own a Beagle currently, have owned Poodles, Chihuahua and Labs(sorta-ex owned). The Beagle is by far my favorite. I've got a small-ish house, two bedroom with basement and she does fine it it. She weighs just slightly over 20 lbs and has more personality than any dog I have owned. That and you can't beat the Beagle howl.

Deleted
    nice, beagle and labrador were actually one of the ones we liked, but they seem pretty hard to come by. dogs are hard to find :P

and why do dalmations drive you mental? my uncle use to have one, it was a bit boring imo, it didnt do much else than lay around, he liked the beach though.

I have a long-hair dachshund and she is the best ever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitlovin View Post
    I have a long-hair dachshund and she is the best ever.
    isnt dashhund a sausage dog? not really keen on those, look a bit wierd, but ive never played with one

I've had 5 whippets and a labrador cross bear thing that was a real pain but very lovable.

As for the whippets, easiest dog in the world to look after. Little to no shedding and will NOT want to go out in the rain for walkies. Also they're hella fast.

15+ Year Old Account
    I have a black lab (2 years old) and some cross-breed (9 years old), not really sure what kind of breeds though.
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)

Never had a dog, but always wanted a Basenji, anyone have an info on those?

King Charles Spaniel ;3

Her name is Chloe.

Deleted
    tot he people with labradors, i heard they get fat quite easily, they are easy to overfeed, is this true or anyone had experience with this?

Hey, whatever Dog you want to get, make sure you do a LOT of research before getting it. It really is amazing how much you can learn about a breed before you buy one, and it helps tenfold when raising and training the dog.
    This is the breed of dog which I have, 'fraid I don't have any pictures of my own one

Japanese Akita Inu:
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollfaced View Post
    yes I think its safe to say that brother is mad.

We had a flat coated retriever , died when it was 13 though.(( Then about 1 year later we got a new dog, not even near the same affection for the new dog from my side. I just compare to our first dog, like it and all but not as much as the old one.:/ But yeah, dogs are awsome, best pets imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have always wanted a husky

Deleted
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/

This site is a good source of info and covers a LOT of different breeds.

As you have a beach and country side a lab would be great, it can get it's excersise need once recall trained by not going very from home.

Also if it's a first dog, then a lab/collie/jack russel/cairn/westie and maybee a cocker/springer spanial if they are scored, those would be my recomendations to look at, they also cover small med and med-large dogs sizes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badmilk View Post

King Charles Spaniel ;3

Her name is Chloe.
    oh they are so awesome, they are like mini springers but im not that keen on tiny dogs, but they are indeed awesome. i just love spaniels facial expression and the floppy ears.

10+ Year Old Account
    IDK if It's just our dalmatian but she whinges, a lot, 6 am wants to be fed, 9 am wants to be walked, 12 pm wants to be let inside after her walk (shes wet from throwing sticks), 5 pm once again wants to be fed. She is juts a very whiny type of dog. And Labradors hard to find O.o Abundant here.

Yes they are very easy to overfeed, they will follow food anywhere, holding a piece of ham near my Labrador made her not even notice the vacuum like a hands breadth away from her (shes usually scared of it). Just feed them about 1-2 handfuls of dry food in the morning and 1 handful of dry food and some dog food (meat) at night. With regular exercise they're fine.
    Last edited by Terranullis; 2011-09-29 at 08:54 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by snakecatcher View Post
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/

This site is a good source of info and covers a LOT of different breeds.

As you have a beach and country side a lab would be great, it can get it's excersise need once recall trained by not going very from home.

Also if it's a first dog, then a lab/collie/jack russel/cairn/westie and maybee a cocker/springer spanial if they are scored, those would be my recomendations to look at, they also cover small med and med-large dogs sizes.

it would be first dog we have owned, but we look after family / friends dogs a lot, so we are good with them. and i used that site a lot, was pretty helpful. but it said springers can adapt well to citys and apartments, but wasnt sure if that was correct.

Any dog will get fat if you overfeed it and dont exercise it enough. The chances of this happening increase with age and/or if you spay/neuter them. Labs are very good all-purpose dogs. They are very trainable and get along with pretty much everyone.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Terranullis View Post
    IDK if It's just our dalmatian but she whinges, a lot, 6 am wants to be fed, 9 am wants to be walked, 12 pm wants to be let inside after her walk (shes wet from throwing sticks), 5 pm once again wants to be fed. She is juts a very whiny type of dog. And Labradors hard to find O.o Abundant here.
    well, we cant afford to pay a private breeder really, they are going for up to £1000 sometimes, we went to the dogs trust rehoming centre and they had a cute springer puppy, but someone had reserved it, i was angry :P

---------- Post added 2011-09-29 at 09:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bearshield View Post
    Any dog will get fat if you overfeed it and dont exercise it enough. The chances of this happening increase with age and/or if you spay/neuter them. Labs are very good all-purpose dogs. They are very trainable and get along with pretty much everyone.
    ah ok, just a lot of sites said that labs get fat really easy, was just seeing if anyone here had experience with that.