Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    If GW2 can bring back skill being necessary to be good, then for me it will be one of the best. I don't really consider WoW mechanics to take skill, they take knowledge of fights and in pvp you only need to know your opponents abilities so you know how to counter it.

I think the active dodging and blocking combined with other mechanics of the combat system has a chance for players to show real skill.
    Finally someone who gets it,wow boss fights takes competence not skill,it just bug me when the term "skill" gets thrown around in wow
    Claymore is Epic again, eat it priscilla fanboys.

Quote Originally Posted by leipuri View Post
    It will be successful, probably even more successful than GW1 which sold 7mil+ copies over time.
    I've always wondered about this number, does it signify any individual campaign sold or number of accounts created? As in, if it's the former, I count as 3 copies sold (as do most others I would think).

Quote Originally Posted by Newbryn View Post
    Finally someone who gets it,wow boss fights takes competence not skill,it just bug me when the term "skill" gets thrown around in wow
    And yet its amazing how often people fail that relitivly low entry requirement in raids Still brute force repetition will eventualy solve all raid mechanics, it does not mean the victors are now more skilled just that the proper ingrained responces are now reflex for that fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakhar View Post
    I've always wondered about this number, does it signify any individual campaign sold or number of accounts created? As in, if it's the former, I count as 3 copies sold (as do most others I would think).
    I think its individual accounts so not every one of those is a new player. Its a fairly common pratice to purchase a new account for storage as you can get 4 toons and 4 bank tabs along with a material tab for 20 bucks and a single bank tab is I think 10. GW is a bit of a hassle to dual log but anybody with a lick of computer skill and 10 minutes with google can do it.
    Last edited by Merendel; 2011-09-30 at 03:47 PM.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Most likely, unlike Wow; GW2 actually values it's pvp community. Which that in itself warrants the game a nice niche in the mmo community.
    Last edited by Pud'n; 2011-09-30 at 07:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teasy View Post
    I don't mean to sound rude or disrespecting, but I've always chosen games to play, that don't interfere with my point of view on MMO gaming (mature community, game itself interesting and well-designed etc), and so far, GW2 is my nr.1 on the list of games to play for a freakin eternity.

It has all the flavour that WoW currently lacks, all the freshness and innovations. I don't think it will be one of the best, I do think it WILL be the best.
    I mean, what's out there to compete?
    SWToR, which in my opinion will be a failure (even tho I love Star Wars universe, movies, other games (Sw-kotor)), won't stand a chance to compete. What's so new about SWToR? The universe itself? Ok, anything else? Nope? Yep, I heard ya.
    Nothing fresh, nothing very innovative, nothing inspiring. Same thing as it's with wow, just pararell universe and other game name.

GW2 on the other hand, offers something completely different, something that no game has ever done before, thats why it's so tempting and awesome at the same time. That's what I've been personally missing in WoW, that 'thrill of the hunt', that makes me happy as a kid on xmas eve.
    Good thing that's only your opinion. Also good thing that there are top 10 MMO lists. It's okay not to like things but going as far as to say that SWTOR will fail and doesn't even have a chance to compete, well that's kinda ridiculous . WoW might be the most successful MMO out there but it is not the only successful MMO out there, so yeah I think SWTOR will compete just fine.

I do think that GW2 might be better than SWTOR in the end if people really do like all the innovations that GW2 brings. But I'm sure SWTOR will coexist in the MMO space with a bunch of other titles just fine, especially since it already does have a built in fanbase in the form of Star Wars fans, Bioware fans, and KOTOR fans. SWTOR is in the same position that WoW was in when it first launched, people flocked to it due to the already pre built fanbase of Warcraft fans and Blizzard fans.
    Last edited by Smitzelplix; 2011-09-30 at 09:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly think that Guild Wars 2 will revolutionize how MMO games are to be played. It's going to be so fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope it is one of the best.

Considering that GW1 has been one of the most popular MMO-like games since 2005, and has been one of the few games to survive and thrive alongside WoW, I do think it will be one of the greats. I think that three of the biggest hurdles that non MMO players face will be fixed:

1. Monthly fees (completely foreign for non MMOers)
    2. Slow paced combat
    3. Grind

Combine all that with a massive level of polish for a game not even in beta, and you'll get a hit for sure. The MMO market will probably settle like this over the next year:

Three Giants:

WoW (for those who still like its style, and appreciate the way Blizzard is taking the game)
    Swtor (for those that like WoW's style, but are sick of WoW itself. Also, Bioware fans and those seeking an immersive story)
    GW2 (for those who don't like MMOs right now, those that are seeking a change, and the competitive PvP crowd)

Small but Successful:

Rift
    EvE
    TSW
    Maybe Tera

Dead in the Water:

Everything else that's not F2P
    Norn Mesmer: GW2
    Rattataki Sniper: SWTOR