View Poll Results: Do you like How I met your mother?

Voters
79. This poll is closed
  • Yes!

59 74.68%
  • No...

20 25.32%
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    3 years that they threw out in all of 30 minutes. Just because they said 3 years out loud doesn't make it so. No one believes they were married for 3 years and then broke up in 1 night, that's the problem.

They didn't just make them break up, or have the mother die, it's not that simple. The problem is that they didn't give those things any meaning. Who gives a shit that the mother died? No one knows who she is, no one knows how she died, and she gave Ted 2 kids. And the same can be said for Barney and Robin's whole marriage. Instead of making the wedding last an entire season they should have made the wedding the first episode and stretched the last episode over the entire last season. They had 22 episodes of useless filler that STILL ended in divorce, and 2 episode's of story.

I'm not mad the way the show ended, I'm mad how the writers went about doing it.
    This is more or less how I feel. We spent 9/10ths of the season on Barney and Robins wedding then they got divorced. I felt cheated somehow.

3 years that they threw out in all of 30 minutes. Just because they said 3 years out loud doesn't make it so. No one believes they were married for 3 years and then broke up in 1 night, that's the problem.
    They didn't break up in 1 night.

They travelled and travelled until Barney couldn't take it anymore.

He vowed he'd always be honest with her and told her he can't resist anymore, probably giving her an ultimatum. Robin chose her career over Barney.

They didn't just make them break up, or have the mother die, it's not that simple. The problem is that they didn't give those things any meaning. Who gives a shit that the mother died? No one knows who she is, no one knows how she died, and she gave Ted 2 kids. And the same can be said for Barney and Robin's whole marriage. Instead of making the wedding last an entire season they should have made the wedding the first episode and stretched the last episode over the entire last season.
    That's true.

The divorce and the death of the Mother was incredibly downplayed. Incredibly so.

I loved the actress that played Tracy. They could've given her more to work with.

But the final conclusion? I have nothing against it.

Again, all previous plots were fulfilled. Ted and Robin fulfilled their promise to end up together if they are both single in their 40s. Marshall won the bet. Barney finally grew up, though I wonder how in hell would he win custody or convince the mother of his daughter to stay with him considering everything he did.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    This is more or less how I feel. We spent 9/10ths of the season on Barney and Robins wedding then they got divorced. I felt cheated somehow.
    It was all a ruse to throw us off and create shock.

It worked... though I wish it didn't.

Deleted
    Ok now I'm pissed!

The whole fucking series led up to this point, they blasted through their whole marriage in 5 minutes flat, "o she dead" and then goes on to date Robin.

Basically EVERY episode between 1 and the final are filler

I'm so PISSED

RAWR!
    ROAR!

Meanwhile, somebody not foaming at the mouth: http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=860040

from all the romance comments is this a show about romance or comedy? i didnt watch the ending, but was it funny or trying to be shmoopy and give you feelings?

It's a mix of romance and comedy. The show's central plot is how the main character tries to find his true love.

Apparently he ends up finding 2, which is why the people are outraged.

The TRUE TRUE love gets too little screen time and is seemingly replaced by the original true love.

Deleted
    i think it would have been better to strech that last episode into season 10.
    they just cam SOOOOOO much into the last hour.
    the divorce of barney and robin should have taken more time on screen, not just "oh i work too much, so just split up so i can keep my job".
    even if it would have been the same result, xplainging/showing why they dont care about their marriage would have been far better-also, who the fuck is girl31? is she married to barney. is he parenting alone? just visiting on weekends?
    and the marriage between ted and tracy would have been much better if it had some time to play out, not just met, knocked up, married, dead.

it just feels too rushed.
    a little more time for that stuff would have been better, but i think streaching and ending out into multiple episodes would have been too much risk, better cram some unneeded filler into s9

who the fuck is girl31? is she married to barney. is he parenting alone? just visiting on weekends?
    My understanding was that he adopted the baby at birth and became its legal guardian. He does not mention its mother when complaining about how little sleep he is getting with a baby in the flat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now that I take a step back and look at it a little differently, Penny was right. The story was made by Ted to show that he was still in love with Robin because the mother died afterwards. That's what the show was. Its interesting to see that curve ball.

But holy fuck did 1 hour of that episode make everything seem so pointless. No doubt the station the writers were working at were telling no forcing them to make an entirely new season which was filler. I seriously think the show was supposed to end a long time ago too.

It was going to end at season 7, then it got extended to 8 because reasons. Then they had a hell of a job getting the actors to re-sign for a 9th season.

I think the finally made sense.

The only thing that didn't make sense to me was how the kids were SO willing to throw Ted into Robin once he was done with the story. I mean sure, she was gone for 6 years already, but man they showed no respect for their deceased mother.

Remember that we were never promised a "happily ever after" sort of ending.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    It was going to end at season 7, then it got extended to 8 because reasons. Then they had a hell of a job getting the actors to re-sign for a 9th season.
    Wasn't it just Jason Segel that was being a dick about it?

Deleted
    “It was at times a long, difficult road. But I’m glad it was long and difficult, because if I hadn’t gone through hell to get there, the lesson might not have been as clear. You see, kids, right from the moment I met your mom I knew, I have to love this women as much as I can and as long as I can and I can never stop loving her, not even for a second. I carried that lesson through every stupid fight we ever had, every 5 a.m. Christmas morning, every sleepy Sunday afternoon, every speed bump, every pang of jealousy or boredom or uncertainty that came our way. I carried that lesson with me.”

The real ending for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I cried a lot. And I'm still in shock. For a sitcom, the ending hit me just as hard as Deep Space 9, Stargate SG-1 and a bunch of other shows. And if anything it got me thinking of the future with my friends and I think how crappy it will be if we don't keep things going now while we still can. Thanks HIMYM, the comedy was grand, but the lessons grander.
    My magic will tear you apart.

Just my opinion of the ending...

Deleted
    I don't really know how to express my feelings for the ending, im both pissed and not surprised. It just didn't satisfy me, it was very predictable and yet we were told it wouldn't happen. I don't feel the writers were clever here - they just lied to us (feels like a cheap shot imo). I wouldn't be as annoyed that Ted & Robin got together if they hadn't spent the last season focusing on Barney & Robin - it was an utter waste of time. This whole 9th season was about finally meeting the mother and we still know bugger all.

I know it's "all about the journey" but whats the point spending all those years travelling only to find you want to go back. They seemed to have tried to avoid the "predictable" but really all they done was take a de-tour (a loooong one at that).

Also i absolutely hated how they destroyed the characters at the end - it wasn't emotionally touching it was just down right depressing (Yes it ended on a high note but I couldn't care less - they made those last moments exhausting). I guess it was quite sweet to see Barney truly "fall in love" but honestly the fact that his "true true" love was the product of yet another one night stand kind of diminishes that for me (also who the hell was the mother of Barney's child ? do i smell a spinoff ?)

I would give HIMYM 8/10 excluding the last season
    Last season was probably worth 5/10 (There were a few laughs but not comparable to any other of the seasons)
    Last episode gets 3/10

Just my 2 cents :P

The more I watch the last scene the more I like the ending..

I guess I realised I rooted for Ted/Robin all along.
    Last edited by Alexinho; 2014-04-01 at 09:48 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I was furious, like I really, really mean it - furious.

9 years of showing love, friendship, hope and true qualities and then what? I hated it, truly, but then... I read a lot, I tried to remember a lot and maybe it's for the best, but it was still poorly delivered.

1. So many great things happened with Barney throughout last 3 seasons... for what? It's like showing a raging alcoholic battle his habits and become a great man, only to let him go down again in the end. Yes, I know - baby, ok. NPH - great acting, though. I'm happy Barney is probably a grown-up right now, but.. why this way? Why alone and with an accidental baby?

2. I understand Ted, it's been 6 years and first love means a lot, but what I don't understand is why the writers decided to actually use the scene with kids now? I know it was a great idea to shoot it 9 years ago to avoid the problem with children aging 9 years while he tells the story (that would be actually accurate ), but... the show was way less mature then. I felt nearly ashamed of how it was when I watched the pilot some time ago. Kids' reaction would've been fine in the 1st season, but not now... I guess they didn't really know how much deep the series would become after all these years. Season 1 was in absolutely different taste and way, it was great and warm, but not like this. This kind of treatment would have been ok then, but now... So much emotional history, stories, development of love of their parents, death of Mom and... "Dad, ok, blah blah, we know it's about Aunt, go get her!". It's been 6 years since she died, I get it, but hey... it's kinda wrong and unfitting.

But the 1st point stands, I can't believe how they basically destroyed Barney's character... I'd be ok with that finale about Ted/Tracy/Robin, but the things between Robin and Barney should be resolved in an entirely different way. Also, Robin leaving and becoming celebrity who abandons her friends...? Why why why why why why would they do this?
    Last edited by Spray; 2014-04-01 at 11:17 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post

They didn't just make them break up, or have the mother die, it's not that simple. The problem is that they didn't give those things any meaning. Who gives a shit that the mother died? No one knows who she is, no one knows how she died, and she gave Ted 2 kids. And the same can be said for Barney and Robin's whole marriage. Instead of making the wedding last an entire season they should have made the wedding the first episode and stretched the last episode over the entire last season. They had 22 episodes of useless filler that STILL ended in divorce, and 2 episode's of story.

I'm not mad the way the show ended, I'm mad how the writers went about doing it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spray View Post
    I was furious, like I really, really mean it - furious.

9 years of showing love, friendship, hope and true qualities and then what? I hated it, truly, but then... I read a lot, I tried to remember a lot and maybe it's for the best, but it was still poorly delivered.

1. So many great things happened with Barney throughout last 3 seasons... for what? It's like showing a raging alcoholic battle his habits and become a great man, only to let him go down again in the end. Yes, I know - baby, ok. NPH - great acting, though. I'm happy Barney is probably a grown-up right now, but.. why this way? Why alone and with an accidental baby?

2. I understand Ted, it's been 6 years and first love means a lot, but what I don't understand is why the writers decided to actually use the scene with kids now? I know it was a great idea to shoot it 9 years ago to avoid the problem with children aging 9 years while he tells the story (that would be actually accurate ), but... the show was way less mature then. I felt nearly ashamed of how it was when I watched the pilot some time ago. Kids' reaction would've been fine in the 1st season, but not now... I guess they didn't really know how much deep the series would become after all these years. Season 1 was in absolutely different taste and way, it was great and warm, but not like this. This kind of treatment would have been ok then, but now... So much emotional history, stories, development of love of their parents, death of Mom and... "Dad, ok, blah blah, we know it's about Aunt, go get her!". It's been 6 years since she died, I get it, but hey... it's kinda wrong and unfitting.

But the 1st point stands, I can't believe how they basically destroyed Barney's character... I'd be ok with that finale about Ted/Tracy/Robin, but the things between Robin and Barney should be resolved in an entirely different way. Also, Robin leaving and becoming celebrity who abandons her friends...? Why why why why why why would they do this?
    I kind of agree with you, Robin did not seem to come off as a great person, she marries some guy, her tries all he can do to keep it working but yet again she lets her job beat her love life? I would not be surprised if it happened again.

But the scene with Barney holding up his kid was worth it to me. The rest of the stuff was...okay. I thought that old lady did pretty well. But they could have done it better, and Lily and Marshall seemed kind of like minor charcters to me. I know they already have settled down and everything but...something did not feel right about them.
    Quote Originally Posted by robse100 View Post
    “It was at times a long, difficult road. But I’m glad it was long and difficult, because if I hadn’t gone through hell to get there, the lesson might not have been as clear. You see, kids, right from the moment I met your mom I knew, I have to love this women as much as I can and as long as I can and I can never stop loving her, not even for a second. I carried that lesson through every stupid fight we ever had, every 5 a.m. Christmas morning, every sleepy Sunday afternoon, every speed bump, every pang of jealousy or boredom or uncertainty that came our way. I carried that lesson with me.”

The real ending for me.
    This is how I really thought it was going to end. I still want to know about the damn pineapple.

And when they mentioned about the "mom wedding thing" I thought they were talking about ted not coming to his wedding, never thought it would be about his daughter.

I am a bit surprised they had the ending worked out since season 2, and even more that they kept it.

It was not a bad ending, but it could have been better, so far the best sitcom ending for me is Friends.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    I'll admit, I hated the season final, but I did like how it ended with Barney.

Am I the only one thinking that maybe the baby wasn't born out of a random hookup? He refused to give a name to the mother, and it didn't seem like the mother had any interest in keeping the baby, maybe it was a surrogate.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

I think we can all agree, the one bright spot was Barney with his daughter, even though the divorce of Barney and Robin was somewhat baffling.

I mean, disregarding the whole Ted-goes-with-Robin thing for a second, why couldn't they have made it where Barney and Robin have this trouble in their marriage, they don't know how it's going to work out, and then miraculously (because she supposedly can't) Robin gets pregnant (which would make more sense than Barney not "suiting up" ie use a condom with some random chick). Barney is a nervous wreck during the pregnancy, he doesn't know if he can be a father, or if he can even be a husband, and he says the same line in the bar in an honest way to Robin (I'm never going to be a guy who can say..."I'll give you everything...etc"). Fast forward to the birth, and Barney is in Robin's room, and Robin's with the baby, and hands her to Barney...and he looks at the baby, to Robin, back to the baby, and says the same line as last night. And Robin loves him for that, even if that's not enough. From there, either they reconcile and raise the kid, or they divorce but you know there's this deep-seeded emotional connection between them besides saying "Oh, consider it 3 years of a really great marriage." Fin.

Jesus, I should write sitcoms.

I mean, in the whole "Robin can't get pregnant" episode, didn't at the end Ted say "Even though she knew she could never have kids, she was never alone." or something? Whereas, in reality, she was alone and separate from the group for years. I just don't understand this whole arc where Robin becomes shut off from the group - if you want to make that thematic shift of how friends don't get together as much any more, do it with Marshall and Lily, the parents of three who live in the suburbs.

IDK, maybe they wrote themselves into a corner with the whole Robin being unable to get pregnant thing, because they wanted that payoff with Barney finally committing to a female character.