View Poll Results: Do you like How I met your mother?

Voters
79. This poll is closed
  • Yes!

59 74.68%
  • No...

20 25.32%
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    While I hated the rushing of the episode and the fact the whole of season 9 was flushed down the toilet in about 10mins of the ep23, I liked it.
    Sure I don't particularly like the angel they went with the kids + him talking, they designed that in 2006 (look at the age of the kids, they filmed it all that time ago) so I'm not going to hate them for it. It's their choice, that's how they always wanted it that way.
    Was emotional. Was amazing. Sad but also glad it's over. It went off strong.
    People can cry and sook all they want, but when the creators actually had designed an ending since the show first started, and after everything decided to follow through with it, they deserve 100000 kudos.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    I'll admit, I hated the season final, but I did like how it ended with Barney.

Am I the only one thinking that maybe the baby wasn't born out of a random hookup? He refused to give a name to the mother, and it didn't seem like the mother had any interest in keeping the baby, maybe it was a surrogate.
    I think it's been suggested that the female character 'number 31' will tie into the spinoff 'How I met your Dad'.
    That's what IGN were talking about on their podcast of the episode, but I have no clue though.
    We stopped searching for monsters under our beds when we realized that they were inside us.

Tell me something, my friend. You ever dance with the devil in the pale moonlight?

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty disappointed at the ending. Didn't like it much, it ruined so many things. So much build up about their lives, from meeting to marriage, not only about Ted and the mother, just.. sigh. Same level of "what" as Dexter.

The only moment I did enjoy was Barney's.
    Currently Procrastinating

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I think we can all agree, the one bright spot was Barney with his daughter, even though the divorce of Barney and Robin was somewhat baffling.

I mean, disregarding the whole Ted-goes-with-Robin thing for a second, why couldn't they have made it where Barney and Robin have this trouble in their marriage, they don't know how it's going to work out, and then miraculously (because she supposedly can't) Robin gets pregnant (which would make more sense than Barney not "suiting up" ie use a condom with some random chick). Barney is a nervous wreck during the pregnancy, he doesn't know if he can be a father, or if he can even be a husband, and he says the same line in the bar in an honest way to Robin (I'm never going to be a guy who can say..."I'll give you everything...etc"). Fast forward to the birth, and Barney is in Robin's room, and Robin's with the baby, and hands her to Barney...and he looks at the baby, to Robin, back to the baby, and says the same line as last night. And Robin loves him for that, even if that's not enough. From there, either they reconcile and raise the kid, or they divorce but you know there's this deep-seeded emotional connection between them besides saying "Oh, consider it 3 years of a really great marriage." Fin.

Jesus, I should write sitcoms.

I mean, in the whole "Robin can't get pregnant" episode, didn't at the end Ted say "Even though she knew she could never have kids, she was never alone." or something? Whereas, in reality, she was alone and separate from the group for years. I just don't understand this whole arc where Robin becomes shut off from the group - if you want to make that thematic shift of how friends don't get together as much any more, do it with Marshall and Lily, the parents of three who live in the suburbs.

IDK, maybe they wrote themselves into a corner with the whole Robin being unable to get pregnant thing, because they wanted that payoff with Barney finally committing to a female character.
    I got it! Instead of the mother dieing Robin dies having the baby. Oh! Or Barney and Robin both die and Ted says to the son "And that is how I met your mother."
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Just my opinion of the ending...

How did no one see this coming? The show is a complete and utter copy paste of Friends.

Setting = Group of friends in their late 20s early 30s live in New York city. Geeky main character(Ross/Ted), Super hot/little spoilt out of geeky guy's leaugh supporting female lead(Rachel/Robin), Funnyman who sleeps with everything (Barney/Joey), Smart awkward guy (Chandler/Marshall), supporting female with a unexpected temper who falls in love with smart guy (Lilly/Monaca). Fuck the last character in friends she serves NO purpose to the plot and at the end of friends they all demanded 1 million per episode we can do without that ball ache.

> "Geeky guy" (Ted/Ross) spends a few seasons trying to get the "hot out of his league high school prom queen"

> He wins her over with some overly romantic gesture roughly half way through the shows lifespan.

> They break up.

> "Smart awkward guy" marrys "Supporting female with a unexpected temper".

> Towards the end "Funnyman who sleeps with everything" gets bored of boning everything that moves and wants to settle down with "geeky guys" girl as an attempt to fool audiences into believing "geky guy" and "hot out of his league high school prom queen" will never happen.

> Insert "red herring love interest girl" for "geeky guy" to add to the effect in the last season.

> On final episode "geeky guy" and "hot out of his league high school prom queen" get back together despite the odds and live happily ever after.
    Last edited by mmoc79cd15b503; 2014-04-02 at 12:00 PM.

I get the feeling from the ending synopsis that the show really should have been called "How I met your STEP Mother", because like others have pointed out earlier, Robin and storylines involve her and Ted seem to take up a fair bit of the story.

Mind you, I have a feeling that when they wrote the ending, the writers realized that even if all they got one was season, it was still very strange to have Ted talk about his sex life (Seriously, if I ever ask my dad about how he met my Mum, the last thing I want him talking about is his sex life before he met her. GROSS!) and that of his friends and all the other random crap(and to focus so much on Robin), so the "Oh he was really ALWAYS talking about Robin" was what they considered their get out of jail card "It doesn't mater that it doesn't make sense, coz the story was about Robin ALL ALONG! See, he married her, she becomes the STEP mother...so we didn't lie, he really WAS talking about he met their *cough not quite yet but soon to be step*cough* mother!"

I think the filmed ending shows the stupidity of the premise but also that I don't think they expected a show with that premise to get as big as it ended up (I'm of the opinion that Neil Patrick Harris is the reason the show hit it big. He was the only reason I ended up watching the show, before nightmare repeats here in Australia killed my interest in it )

One thing tho: The kids don't twig (or at least, don't comment on or seem upset by) that Future Ted is essentially saying that their mother was NOT the love of his life...because the entire time he's been pining after Robin. So when she married Barney, he must have been thinking "Why is that not me?" and when she came to his wedding he was thinking "Why is she not the one I'm marrying". I mean, he essentially admits that he is carrying a torch for her all all those years. SO.CREEPY!

You know, this makes ted a massive jerk to both "the mother" and his kids.
    Last edited by Icaras; 2014-04-02 at 12:39 PM.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Worst show ending I've ever seen. All the character growth for the central theme of the story is completely abandoned in favor of trying to be clever. Utter trash. This last season has had the lowest quality, worst writing, and a terrible ending to cap it off. Barney has realized what true love is, no wait now he's divorced, now Robins crazy, now Barney has a kid from being irresponsible, but it's ok because he's a father now. Ted, after discovering what real love is after seasons of being selfish and borderline crazy has it removed in a tragedy, but it's ok because he realizes he's actually just loved Robin this whole time. What a disgrace.
    BAD WOLF

It was poorly-written.

Firstly, don't cliffhanger us for 8 seasons and prelude to this one big moment with comments like "If it weren't for X, I'd never have met your mother." They literally danced around the idea that destiny and the universe so adamantly that they killed off a character to complete Ted's fate to be with Robin. Robin has never fought for a relationship in the 25 years he had known her, yet he still wanted to go be let down by her. Anyone believes that they live happily ever after is fooling themselves. Robin may have seemed happy at the end, and rightfully so (I'm happy when I see old friends). But it won't last. It never lasts. They literally betrayed the Ted Mosby that was previously written and shattered the idea that we were headed for the grand moment which would serve as the mother (no pun) of all love stories. The story of Ted Mosby inspired me. It tells the feelgood story that one day we will all meet the person we are meant to be with. Which, I guess technically, the show does. But it does so with a bait & switch.

Maybe I am biased. But I retain that, if I am, then it's the shows fault for seemingly targeting the show at people in their mid-to-late 20s, telling us that even though our dating lives can flop, there's hope that we are destined to one day have that happily-ever-after. Then ending it for people who just like reconciling with exes. Which disgusts me. I literally cannot stand people who waste their lives trying to get someone they'll never truly have. I get that it happens and that we've all done it, or tried it. But it's not reality that makes me turn on my television every week. I wan't something to escape from everyday life, not relive it.

My ex would not be the person to fill the void after the love of my life passed away. And I certainly wouldn't let my 15-year-old daughter change my mind on that.

The show was one of the greatest shows I've ever seen. The first 6 seasons are something I will cherish and re-watch for years and years to come. I'm disappointed in the finale, but in the end, it's the bulk of the show that matters to me, not what a couple of insane writers spit out.
    Last edited by jrockviggy; 2014-04-02 at 02:47 PM.

> "Geeky guy" (Ted/Ross) spends a few seasons trying to get the "hot out of his league high school prom queen"

> He wins her over with some overly romantic gesture roughly half way through the shows lifespan.

> They break up.

> Towards the end "Funnyman who sleeps with everything" gets bored of boning everything that moves and wants to settle down with "geeky guys" girl as an attempt to fool audiences into believing "geky guy" and "hot out of his league high school prom queen" will never happen.

> Insert "red herring love interest girl" for "geeky guy" to add to the effect in the last season.

> On final episode "geeky guy" and "hot out of his league high school prom queen" get back together despite the odds and live happily ever after.
    Eh, Tracy was Ted's love.

Robin was just the backup plan.

Don't for a second think Ted loved Robin more than Tracy.

The only reason he went back to her is that Tracy died. The guy mourned for 6 years, time to move on.

The only issue is that while in character it's been 6 years, for us viewers it was 2 minutes. And that... messed things up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FruitBat69 View Post
    Geeky main character(Ross/Ted),
    Not comparable because Ross is not the main character of the show. This is the big reason the two shows are too different. Friends had all six characters get equal everything. HIMYM is most definitely a show about Ted.
    Super hot/little spoilt out of geeky guy's leaugh supporting female lead(Rachel/Robin),
    Robin, spoiled? Um, no. She got dropped off in a forest and forced to fend for herself, if I'm not mistaken. Rachel and Robin are nowhere near even remotely similar characters. Robin is a hockey fanatic, she's very guy-friendly. Rachel is the girly girl.
    Funnyman who sleeps with everything (Barney/Joey),
    Also not even close. Joey has a heart of gold and always has. He sleeps with a lot of girls, but he never makes it his prime objective, and Barney takes it about a thousand times more seriously. Joey also isn't really the "funnyman", and in-universe, that title is Chandler's. And probably to the audience as well.

Smart awkward guy (Chandler/Marshall),
    Can't be compared because, again, Chandler is the funny guy.
    supporting female with a unexpected temper who falls in love with smart guy (Lilly/Monaca).
    The closest comparison, but Lily is pretty well even-tempered compared to Monica. Plus she's not crazy in the way Monica is.

Again, Robin is super tough and not nearly close to what Rachel is or was.

Season 1 for HIMYM, and season 2 for Friends? Maybe at the time, they thought that was halfway through, but it turned out to not even be that close.

The main difference here is, Marshall and Lily were together before the show began. Chandler and Monica hooked up randomly in London. Fun fact: the writers did not ever intend for them to end up together. It was supposed to just be a one-time thing, but I guess the fans gave the couple such a positive response.
    Joey and Rachel's relationship lasted all of maybe two episodes. Barney and Robin were together for several seasons.

So, Charlie? Again, that lasted a very short time, and she started on Joey, weirdly enough. Plus, we KNEW from day one that the ultimate ending of HIMYM was going to be meeting the mother. And we knew fairly early that that was NOT Robin.

Yeah, you know, this part is spot on, and it was disappointing in both shows. But ultimately, Ross not being the main focus of a show that had no main focus, and the character comparisons being way off, means that the two shows are too different to really compare.
    Last edited by Pendulous; 2014-04-02 at 07:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Worst show ending I've ever seen. All the character growth for the central theme of the story is completely abandoned in favor of trying to be clever. Utter trash. This last season has had the lowest quality, worst writing, and a terrible ending to cap it off. Barney has realized what true love is, no wait now he's divorced, now Robins crazy, now Barney has a kid from being irresponsible, but it's ok because he's a father now. Ted, after discovering what real love is after seasons of being selfish and borderline crazy has it removed in a tragedy, but it's ok because he realizes he's actually just loved Robin this whole time. What a disgrace.
    I won't say worst, but certainly just bewildering. As you said, they just reversed all the character growth they added through the series in a quick wrap up destructive orgy.

Robin: Couldn't commit to anyone, job was always more important, but it's okay because she's changed. She's getting married and prioritizing career. (But not really!)

Barney: Finally coming to terms with life, growing up, getting married, changing his job. (Only, not really, back to random chicks, does he have a job or just a blog? Will he actually be a good father or forget the kid in the next +1year?)

Lily and Marshal: Pop out some more kids, he gives up Judgeship for her to spend a year in Italy, because that makes sense or something, then gets back into Corporate law to suffer for years until he finally returns to where he would have been. I guess they didn't really change much.

And Ted, good ole Ted. He was moving to Chicago to start a new life, but then he found his soulmate, who popped out a couple kids then cacked off so he could go back to one of his most pointless relationships of all time...

I mean, if we're going to do the Friends vs. HIMYM comparison, Friends came off much more genuine in that Rachel and Ross weren't a thing but still deeply, emotionally connected to each other, and not just via the kid they had together. In HIMYM, Robin disappeared for years, bails on every relationship she's ever had (and yes, she's the one who bailed on Barney, not vice versa), and Ted was seriously over her. Seriously. And he met the love of his life to boot. And it's all thrown away to fit some weird idea they had in episode 1?

I mean, it kind of invalidates the whole Tracy character.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post

And Ted, good ole Ted. He was moving to Chicago to start a new life, but then he found his soulmate, who popped out a couple kids then cacked off so he could go back to one of his most pointless relationships of all time...
    This is what really gets me about the ending. That along with how the wedding took up most of the final season, only to have the marriage fail 3 years in. Robin is simply not meant for Ted, nor he for her. Their whole mentality regarding relationships is just too different.

10+ Year Old Account
    Teds problem was he was a wuss. He didn't have a strong bone about him. No conviction behind his actions. Everything he did was to find love but if he just manned up a bit and stopped giving a crap maybe it would find him.

The series ended in a stupid way. Noone learned anything and the characters regressed back to basic idiots being idiots. Wrapped in a blue horn bow for some sort of "foreshadowing" or "symbolism". It was lame as hell. Ted needed to man up.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    Teds problem was he was a wuss. He didn't have a strong bone about him. No conviction behind his actions. Everything he did was to find love but if he just manned up a bit and stopped giving a crap maybe it would find him.

The series ended in a stupid way. Noone learned anything and the characters regressed back to basic idiots being idiots. Wrapped in a blue horn bow for some sort of "foreshadowing" or "symbolism". It was lame as hell. Ted needed to man up.
    Wow, that's really mysadrist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexinho View Post
    You have to admit that the guys in How I met your mother were more feminine than the girls. There were elements of role reversal that they used to make it "fresh", but anyone can loosely see through the thin veil.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    You have to admit that the guys in How I met your mother were more feminine than the girls. There were elements of role reversal that they used to make it "fresh", but anyone can loosely see through the thin veil.
    Not sure if you're a guy or a girl but w/e.

Are you saying being confident and ballzy is a male-exclusive trait?

You just took equality 20 years into the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexinho View Post
    What's mysadrist? And why is what was said mysadrist? I do get tired of hearing/reading the term "man up," though.
    I can teach you how to play, but I can't fix stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagonos View Post
    What's mysadrist? And why is what was said mysadrist? I do get tired of hearing/reading the term "man up," though.
    It's like misogyny, but against men. And it's "misandrist." Shares the same root as android, from the Greek "andros," meaning Man. Don't people learn Greek and Latin in school any more?!?!? Geez. Damn you Jesuits.

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Don't people learn Greek and Latin in school any more
    Only people pursuing degrees in Classical Studies learn those anymore. Most people don't pursue degrees in Classical Studies because much like the languages they speak, the careers related to them are essentially dead.
    BAD WOLF