Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    :C I don't understand people that hate on it. If you don't like it, don't use it, but let the rest of us enjoy it!
    "I hate pie.. because I hate pie I won't stand to see you eating it in front of me. You're disgusting for even thinking about eating it!"

Personally I don't care for strong female leads. My SI will be very meek and subordinate; I really really hope there will be options for that, instead of just "Lul stop talking back to me *shock shock*".

On everyone but my full light side Guardian?

I think the words "Like a drum" come to mind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tierst View Post
    :C I don't understand people that hate on it. If you don't like it, don't use it, but let the rest of us enjoy it!
    "I hate pie.. because I hate pie I won't stand to see you eating it in front of me. You're disgusting for even thinking about eating it!"

Personally I don't care for strong female leads. My SI will be very meek and subordinate; I really really hope there will be options for that, instead of just "Lul stop talking back to me *shock shock*".
    Filthy Pie Lover.

No need to hate on the romance; you're not required to play through the romance story lines and you lose nothing except maybe some companion affection that can be made up with companion gifts.

I mean really, if you don't care for the romance stories then just don't do them. What's the problem?

The real question is why these pie hating/not caring people choose to eat (play the game) in a pie factory when there are plenty of other places that offer the same thing but not in a pie factory?

i.e. Why choose a game where story/companions/romance is a big part of it when there are plenty of other games out there that don't have focus on that and more on the things they prefer.
    Biowares Go-to Plan:
    - Offer something for free
    - Change mind and charge for it
    - ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOUR WORK HAS BUGS
    - Never fix bugs and give crappy CS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    The real question is why these pie hating/not caring people choose to eat (play the game) in a pie factory when there are plenty of other places that offer the same thing but not in a pie factory?

i.e. Why choose a game where story/companions/romance is a big part of it when there are plenty of other games out there that don't have focus on that and more on the things they prefer.
    This is a point that keeps coming up, however imo, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
    I don't care about the romance stuff myself, does that mean I cant enjoy swtor?
    I don't like pvp in wow whatsoever, that doesn't mean I don't (didn't) enjoy wow.
    People can decide for themselves how they will play this game.
    Monk, I need a monk!!!

Quote Originally Posted by scubistacy View Post
    I can understand the aesthetics argument, but I cannot quite understand, why a male cannot see the aesthetical aspect of a good-looking (or special and concept fitting) male character. I always thought, a (main) character is all about identification or character concept, not about sexual fantasies with that special character... oO In an action game, your characters are more or less the same as your action figures were back in the days, where children played with some.
    It's not always about projecting yourself into the role, though maybe for some. Either way as an example: in WoW I have male & female gnomes, I have male and female worgen. But human, night elf, draenei are just females. The male models are horrible. In GW1, I have male and female characters, they look better and it's easier to look at any of them. In TOR, I'll most likely have a mix.

That said, in most cases the female models just look better in these games than the male models. Even when equal graphically, I still find the female models better looking.

As for romance, I doubt I'll focus on it too much. I really enjoyed the Bastilla stuff in KotOR1, but in KotOR2 and other games, it really just felt tacked on for a romance option rather than being part of an evolving story. Mass Effect it was funny, but again, it didn't feel like a good progression of the story, but rather a side-romp. Bastilla Shan was important to the story of KotOR.

---------- Post added 2011-11-08 at 11:25 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by jvbastel View Post
    This is a point that keeps coming up, however imo, it doesn't make any sense whatsoever.
    I don't care about the romance stuff myself, does that mean I cant enjoy swtor?
    I don't like pvp in wow whatsoever, that doesn't mean I don't (didn't) enjoy wow.
    People can decide for themselves how they will play this game.
    I agree for both sides of the arguement. If you don't want to use the romance options, don't try to get them removed from the game or hate that they're present, just ignore them. If you want the romance options, don't try to tell people that disagree to go play something else, the game has a lot more depth than just the side-track.

I do wonder how demanding the companion-romances might get. "Sorry, can't raid, my jawa wants me to go get him some sandwiches".

10+ Year Old Account
    It's like being encouraged to grind darkside points as a jedi, being a complete poon-hound.

Romance can be part of your characters story. With companions or other NPC's.

Maybe people want to play a suave ass Jedi who likes to sleep around with quest givers? You don't have to participate if you don't want to, it is easily ignored.

Or maybe people want todevelop a relationship with one of their companions, why shouldn't they be allowed to?

Shit I bet some of the married men who are going to play this game will be spending 2X as much time each week with their female companions as they do their wives. =P

I'm gay and personally I don't know what gender I'll be when I play the game, or know what sexuality I'll make them. I imagine I'll try all the different combinations. :P

Anyway, I noticed some people here said they were uncomfortable romancing a male if they play a female toon. Personally, I don't find it weird playing a male toon that romances a female given my sexuality. Being gay kind of frees you up to do whatever you want and feel comfortable I guess ha. Who is going to care if they walk in the room? OMG your romancing a female on your male toon!?! YOU must be STRAIGHT! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post

That said, in most cases the female models just look better in these games than the male models. Even when equal graphically, I still find the female models better looking.
    I never understand why so many people say that especially when they give no proof/examples or when they say females are less exaggerated. Especially in this game where males can even be a fat guy, females are always bimbo huge boob-shape babes, massively exaggerated to barbie standards. Female model armor magically becomes skin tight or bikini-like in many examples (havn't seen so much of the bikini in SWTOR but the skin tight if definitely there) actually taking away from some credibility of the model.

I would be surprised to discover if the developers actually take a significantly longer time smoothing out female animations/models. The only way I could see that happening is some depraved developer takes it up as his own project to sculpt his wet-dream girl and that shows because he put more personal effort into the animations.
    Biowares Go-to Plan:

Quote Originally Posted by Argroth View Post
    I never understand why so many people say that especially when they give no proof/examples or when they say females are less exaggerated.
    I'll grant you that in many games, the females might be Barbie exaggerated, but in WoW, the males are He-man exaggerated. It's a world of difference.
    WoW humans in general are not "good", but the night elves don't look particularly barbie to me, while the males are huge. Blood Elves look muscular, so aside from hair styles would be the closest to the idea that both models are well made, but I'd still prefer the female model.

By contrast, GW1 models are both very well done. In some cases the female clothing is more skimpy, but in a lot of them it's tasteful. Either way the models look worthwhile and it's easy enough to pick either way.

The difference between "hey, her boobs are twice normal size" and "hey, his shoulders are triple normal width" is a big one to me, especially when you're mostly looking at the backside. (Though, I did notice that developers spend a bit more time on female movement I think. Hips on female toons always seem to sway more, have a bit more waggle. And while not a hair might move on a model jumping, the boobs might jiggle a bit...)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Having a great leveling experience and having an awesome story/RP element is fine and dandy, but it doesn't really add longevity to a game, as I don't think most people are interested in repeatedly leveling characters to max then starting over. I mean, what makes it different from a single player RPG such as Dragon Age or Mass Effect if that's all it really has going for it? It's a nice touch to the game, one I'll surely appreciate, but what's important to me (and I think most MMO fans) is how captivating and enduring the endgame is.
    "but it doesn't really add longevity to a game,"

:C That's where you're wrong; at least for me personally! I may be part of a small minority now, but back in the day quite a few people enjoyed who their characters -were- in WoW (concerning Blizzard). I think a lot of people other than myself are going to actually want to go through not just your main, but other toons. The romance, the story, the whole light-side dark-side plot.. it will all be influencing who your personal character is, as a 'living' and important figure!

It's no longer... skip this quest text... sure I'll do your quest... kill some mobs... thanks, I never have to see you again. Didn't even read your name...

It will now be.. Okay! Dolls can respond with something snippy and quirky, or she can offer kindness and be humble! It's... This person relates to you, because you flirted with this NPC last time you stopped by this planet!

Maybe... I'm just really weird, but... I daydream all the time.. how my character would think, feel, react. I am going to -want- to go through the quests, read them, enjoy them in the same way that I think Dolls will. Shy and coy around menacing brutes, humble and embarrassed around anyone kind or gentle. The romance just adds a larger world for me to immerse in.

Not only that, but people will want to make more than just one. C: Maybe my next toon could be a mischievous thief with his/her awesome sidekick jawa! I'll want him/her to have an immersive storyline just the same. This is all subjective to everyone's own personal play style though. Even though I want all this, I do want to raid endgame as well! So I hope they don't leave that out either way.
    Last edited by Tierst; 2011-11-08 at 10:30 PM.

"but it doesn't really add longevity to a game,"
    I hate when people state "It dosn't add longevity to games" as fact either.

They take the experience of other MMOs and think thats how it works everywhere for everyone. What they forget is that MMOs nowaday just neglect the hell out of everything else and its all done poorly. So why would the neglected part add longevity?

I think SWTOR so far is working towards fixing that neglect so many mmos conform too, not because it's true but because people are too scared to try something new/different. many people are buying this game to simply ignore all the story because they want play it as a WoW clone for some reason.

It's like people hating chocolate because for so long Icecream makers use outdated and bad machines to make chocolate. Then all the chocolate lovers suffer because everyone jumps to the conclusion that all chocolate sucks everywhere all the time because so-and-so makes it bad. Many ignore chocolate without even trying it because vanilla is the thing everyone else is eating.

MMORPGs now just seem to ignore the RPG part and its been so long since anyone's seen good RPG that they expect less from it when someone comes in and offers it. they immediately assume it's crap and will not touch it. Then its odd when a bunch of vanilla lovers come to a game that serves chocolate as one of it's main dishes just to get the vanilla they can get anywhere else.

Not everyone loves vanilla, why are you trying to change the Icecream store into a vanilla only store?

Don't state an opinion as fact, especially when so many people simply ignore the alternatives.
    Biowares Go-to Plan: