Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Do I have to play Diablo 1 & 2 before Diablo 3?

Hello

I've never played a Diablo game but after watching the Diablo 3 playthroughs on YouTube, I must say I'm really excited about this game. But, do I need to play the older games to get any kind of satisfaction in terms of story, characters and gameplay.

Think Mass Effect. If you haven't played Mass Effect 1, you're not gonna understand the story of Mass Effect 2 all that much, and you probably won't understand any of the characters since many of them were l introduced in the first game. On the other hand, the combat gameplay is very different in ME2.

TL DR: See title.
    I registered on MMO-Champion and all I got was this lousy signature.

I'm a cynic. Deal with it!

You don't really need to play through D1/2 to understand the story. The characters are just random heroes, always have been. It's akin to playing WoW without playing WC1-3, in my opinion. You can still understand what's going on quite easily, you just won't understand the 100 years prior to the game. But you don't really need to.

If you think D3 looks like fun, I would highly recommend playing Diablo 1, Hellfire (maybe), Diablo 2/LoD. They're great games, even to this day.

They're pretty much separate in terms of story. D3 is a continuation of D2, just 20 years after. Basically all of the lore necessary to have a solid backstory can be found on wikis around the web, but that backstory doesn't play a huge role in the game, from what I've seen.

You dont "need" to play them, but if you wanted to enjoy them for their own merits then go ahead. The lore as pointed out already can be read up on.

This game is the polar opposite of mass effect. This is a hack and slash, the story doesnt matter.

It's good to have some background, so that you're not completely lost. I just finished playing D2 again awhile ago, and it was a good refresher. It's funny how easy the game actually is now and how you can get to level 90 in like 6 hours or something.

By yourself? No way. Getting rushed and going through enchant games/bot runs isn't really the same D2 as existed years ago.

D2 is definitely not an easy game without higher characters to boost you in items/levels. To this day good players still try walkthroughs and die way before they get to Act V hell.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2011-10-02 at 12:15 AM.

Short answer is no.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Also way more and better organized than the info you'd get from actually playing the games

Short answer: No.
    Long answer: No, but you definetly should do. You will mainly understand whats going on etc, but the 2 other games are awesome, even today. They would also make understanding some of D3 easier, but its optional and you do as you want.

Fromwhat we can see from the video, any Lore important to the game is given in game through.. well lore books(beta is only until the skeleton King, a boss in D1, and many of the lore book in the levels before him pretty much retell D1's story, so I'm guessing eventually you would Get D2 story lores also(There are some journals of the characters you'd meet in D2 that are considered dead in D3).

From those you would get all the info you need.

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    By yourself? No way. Getting rushed and going through enchant games/bot runs isn't really the same D2 as existed years ago.

D2 is definitely not an easy game without higher characters to boost you in items/levels. To this day good players still try walkthroughs and die way before they get to Act V hell.
    Well technicly, there is no new lore frmo nightmare on, just new gear, etc. So soloing Normal isn't so bad if you just want the lore.
    CATA BETA CLUB!
    HearthStone BETA CLUB!

15+ Year Old Account
    D2 online is horrible when it comes to botting.

Still love it regardless.

"Friends don't let friends be gnomes."

I'd skip Diablo I, its kind of outdated and you'd get bored. Diablo II and the xpac were great though and I'd play em just for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Greens View Post
    I'd skip Diablo I, its kind of outdated and you'd get bored. Diablo II and the xpac were great though and I'd play em just for that.
    I wouldnt necessarily agree. If it were the case that outdated graphics and game play were meritless, you'd not see games like Minecraft and Terria etc being so popular atm.

Its really just a subjective variable that the OP has to decide whether it has merit for them to play or not.

As many have said already..you don't NEED to play the first 2 games and the expansions for them. HOWEVER playing them and getting a feel for the games atmosphere and just random musings and stuff that you cannot read in a wiki is rewarding in it's own right.

I know I'm going to replay all of teh D1/hellfire and D2/LoD in the weeks before D3 ships. Do I need to to understand the story? Nope, but it's nice to get a reminder about things and who doesn't like hunting for magic items when there is nothing better to do? Also if you play online, you may make some friends that you may be able to play with when D3 comes out, making it a more fun experience for both parties.

*SPOILERS* SPOILERS*

You kill a ton of demons and undead things in d1 and d2. Also there is an old man that helps you sometimes!

Quote Originally Posted by Twiddly View Post
    You kill a ton of demons and undead things in d1 and d2. Also there is an old man that helps you sometimes!
    "Helps you"

Many people, including myself, are mostly convinced that Cain replaces the items he identifies with crappy items that look similar, taking the sweet lewt you found for himself. He's a greedy, evil old man!

From my experince in D2, they explained what had happened in D1 enough for me to understand why this is related to what I'm doing. I haven't played the Beta, but I guess they'll explain what happened in D2, and why that has to do with what is going on in D3.