Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Sons Of Flame Ragnaros reg 10man

Last night was our guild's first few attempts on Ragnaros and like most groups we had trouble with the Sons Of Flame in the first phase transistion. The adds that were right next to the hammer went down but the next ones hit the hammer. The raid comp is Druid tank, pally tank, dk/warrior melee dps, sv hunter/spriest/arc mage ranged dps, and disc priest/sham/druid heals. I have the druid tank (myself) and the pally tank heading out to the far right and left adds respectively.

My main question is how do i split the groups up to maximize the burn and stuns on those adds in order for us to not continuously wipe on them?

10+ Year Old Account
    What we do is don't kill all the adds outright, get them to 50% and they move really slowly, giving you time to burst down others.

Have your highest dps get the ones closest to the hammer, and have your lower dps/tanks get ones further out.

And only use two healers. Get an extra dps out there on the adds.

edit: use pallies for stun and holy wrath. death knight use death grip. The sons are affected by knockback effects as well.
    Last edited by Mindark; 2011-10-02 at 07:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    Murder can be justified and to a certain extent I believe genocide can be justified aswell.

10+ Year Old Account
    Left
    Closest - high dps
    Second Closest - medium dps
    Third Closest - low dps
    Furtherest away - tank

Right
    Closest - high dps
    Third Closest - low dps
    Furtherest away - tank

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    Left
    Closest - high dps
    Third Closest - low dps
    Furtherest away - tank

Right
    Closest - high dps
    Third Closest - low dps
    Furtherest away - tank
    One can do high dps without beeing good here, trick is fast dps

Fsater dps = closer to the hammer

Or have your higher DPS take 2 of the last ones on either side.
    "Why do all supposed 'centrists' just sound like right wingers?"

"Also, can I just say that I think AOC would absolutely fucking annihilate Greene if Greene ever dared take an actual swing at her?" -- The state of the MMO-C circlejerk.

Also we have our tanks stun them, and our pally healer also does a stun for it. I dunno if your tanks can do that but I do know it definitely helped us.
    I once fought a Druid in Tol Barad, it was like playing name that animal and no matter what you picked you would bleed to death from that animal. - Magellanmini

If you have a DK dps, remind them that Death Grip works on the Sons.

Also, the pally tank should use the glyph of Holy Wrath, which lets HW stun elementals for a few seconds. That should buy you enough time on the farthest Sons.

The last ones aren't the issue as both me and the other tank can burn them down to below 50% before the get even close. The ones closest to the hammer i have the melee deal with as they have the fastest burst. Issue i'm having thou is with the ranged dps only doing half the dmg to them that the melee are. What can i do with my ranged to get their dmg done on those adds higher and dropped below 50% before they get close?

Yeah, pretty much what has been said.
    Also your druid healer can go bear form and bash one.
    Takes 2-3 seconds and gives you another 4 seconds stun. Since there isn't that much to heal at that point you can totally do that. Especially with 3 healers.
    With all the stuns and knockbacks you have it really shouldn't be any issue to get them down fast enough even when 3 healing.

And it might help not to assign people to specific sons. Just assign the stuns and then slow the first ones, switch to the next and so on until they are all dead.

You need to assign people to a side for a center and an off set hammer.
    Last edited by Yubari; 2011-10-02 at 07:52 PM.

Have both of your tanks on the ones closest to the hammer, on either side. They can both burn down their add to 50% because of their HoJ and Bash

I was actually considering 2 healing it and having the shammy go ele to thunderstorm the sons but currently the druid healer is weak and not pushing out the same numbers as the priest and shammy are and i don't want to put strain on my good healers to the point that they are pulling their hair out.

I always assign a non-tank stunner to the 2 closest to the hammer. (a tank stun is not terribly reliable in trans. 2)
    -- Holy paladins, Ret Paladins, Rogues, etc.

I assign a push back (or two) to be on some side of the hammer (generally 1 each side.. in 2/6 splits, once the 2 are dead they obviously go to the other side)
    - Boomkin, Ele Sham

Tell your DPS to "charge up" to prepare for the sons.

Burst DPS closer to the hammer. Dot/Bleed DPS near the back.
    -- Remember "burst" dps is unusual here.. Arcane mages are not "Burst" dps in this sense as, without POM, they will not get more then 2 spells off before the closest son hits the hammer if the son is not stunned (but combined this with a ret paladin HOJ on Son 1, while the pally moves to DPS Son 2 with a charged up TV), makes a good combo

Since your raid has a prot pally..... As a prot pally I can solo the closest one to the hammer, sometimes without wasting any of my stuns -- the residual Ragnaros DOT keeps your vengeance high.. When he's about to go under I keep my 3 Holy Power saved. Just before he goes under I Judge, if I do not get my Sacred Duty, I shield toss. Generally one of those works and you can go into the Son with a 40k crit..

Since sons now have ~125k health, you just took ~30% off.. throw in a ~10k crusader strike and the son should be around 65k/125k.... Basically its neutralized (factoring in white damage and censure)... and this works on either transition (but 2nd transition may not provide much control on WHICH one you do it to).. I usually use Holy wrath as I leave an add (to go to a faster moving add, or to go to my Scion for T2).

But the charging up can do a *lot* to help the transition... and most classes have something they can do (mages saving POM reduces Arcane Blast build up, warriors going in with full rage, Boomkins entering/preparing to enter an eclipse)
    Last edited by Kewi; 2011-10-02 at 08:34 PM.

I think Kewi has one of the most valuable tips. You have to make sure your damage dealers are watching Ragnaros's health (70%!) so they know to start pooling whatever it is they have: Energy, Rage, Focus, short-cooldown spells/buffs at the ready.

Here's a list:
    Your Hunter could pool Focus as well as lay a trap on the markers of the sons he's been assigned.
    Your Shadow Priest could make sure Archangel is ready. I assume he already is using Mind Spike->Mind Blast on Sons.
    Your Death Knight could gather Runic Power to unleash. If he's Unholy, maybe he should save his ghoul's transformation for Sons.
    Your Arcane Mage, as Kewi said, could make sure Presence of Mind is saved for this part.
    Your Warrior, as Kewi said, could gather Rage. If he's Fury, he should save Berserker Rage so he can use Raging Blow immediately on a Son. If he's Arms, he could spec for Throwdown if you're having this much trouble.
    Your Bear Druid might consider starting with Bash then shifting to Cat Form to use Maim. I'm not completely sure what the "breakpoint" is on that because you will lose all AP from Vengeance if you do that, and since burst damage is important here it might just be better to stay in Bear Form to keep Vengeance for large hits.
    If you do stay in Bear Form and are a Tauren you shouldn't forget War Stomp. If you shift to Cat Form I wouldn't use War Stomp as that will only contribute to the stun DR and weaken Maim too much. Though by the time you get 5CP for Maim, Ferocious Bite will probably be a better choice anyway.

I hope something in there leads to success. If something here seems a bit off, discuss it with your raid members. I'm not an expert in every class; I just know general stuff. Discussion is the most important thing after these tips.
    Last edited by Senka; 2011-10-02 at 08:53 PM.

thanks for all the help

Keep in mind that an Arc Mage can build up stacks on Rag before he submerges. If they get max stacks they will tear apart elementals. Using a AB --> PoM AB combo is typically enough to stop them in their tracks.
    Who knows what secrets hide in the dark?

Ah yes...*I* do...

Remember that with 3 healers, you won't have a dps or a tank for each Son, so you need a healer to stun or control otherwise the last Son.

Quote Originally Posted by Hateful View Post
    Keep in mind that an Arc Mage can build up stacks on Rag before he submerges. If they get max stacks they will tear apart elementals. Using a AB --> PoM AB combo is typically enough to stop them in their tracks.
    arcane cant build up stacks in time. Even if u hit rag at the last second before he submerges he still takes 6 seconds for the sons to appear giving u no way to refresh ur stacks.. that being said a mages best bet is to use POM ab then abarrage and hope for the best lol.

as for ur group just try and assign as best asu can.

Quote Originally Posted by announced View Post
    that being said a mages best bet is to use POM ab then abarrage and hope for the best lol.
    Nah...
    During the time we still had people assigned to a son I would just make sure, that i would have Arcane Power (and maybe 1-2 other CDs) up when the first son comes out.
    You can hard cast a regular Arcane Blast before he even starts to move, use a POM Arcane Blast right after that and then switch to the next one with Arcane Blast because the first one will be slowed enough.
    It would be a waste of stacks/damage etc to use arcane barrage.

On our kill yesterday i almost did not have the time to get a single arcane blast off before they were all dead already but things get easier with gear...

Deleted
    You're thinking way too much into this.

Assign two DPS probably your Warrior(Make sure he starts via intercepting the mob) and Mage on the short side so whenever it's two one side then 6 the other the War/Mage go on the side w/ 2 on it, then the other DPS/tanks go to the other side stand near w/e one they're gonna take and kill them all down, it's extremely easy just make sure to use stuns/knockbacks/grips. Additionally you should think about 2 healing this fight, the only reason to 3 heal this is if your tanks are dying, everything else is a one shot dead, nothing an extra healer can help with. Make your Druid heals go Boomkin our Boomkin can litterally solo a side of ads(6).