Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Yup, Boomkins really make this trivial. Pre-shrooming an add has it slowed by the time it's up, and Typhoon will knock back as many as you need on one side. You can pretty much have a Boomie assigned to any three adds (probably farthest three) and just have DPS and tanks worry about the rest until they're down.

That being said, we run with 2 boomies in our 10-man (yup, weird, I know) and what we do is always assign them to the adds spawning on either side of stairs, have tanks + 1 melee running to side where hammer drops (since they have better stuns for our comp) and other DPS handle rest. For hammer in middle, we have me (Resto Druid) and our HPally stun the adds closest to stairs and rest of DPS get other adds to 50% before nuking those.

There really is no "best" strat though. It's just about DPS knowing how long it takes them to get an add to 50% before moving on to another one and then telling the RL what they're comfortable with. We took 5-6 pulls on that phase to figure out how to do it. I personally hate assigning specific numbers on the adds, but RLs from other guilds I'm friendly with swear by it. It really depends on your DPS. Post-nerf, telling them to just use common sense is totally fine as long as they're using their class correctly on that phase.

Seems like most people do this way different than my group, assigning the strongest dps to the closest adds and tanks to the farthest adds. Going with that strategy you're going to burn down lava scions slow because they are unlikely to be moved together and cleaved at all. My group has killed him many times with 3 heals.

We run with 2 tanks, 3 heals, 2 melee dps, 3 ranged dps.

We put the tanks on the closest add to the hammer and a melee dps on the second closest add to the hammer but they start by helping the tank get his to 50%. This applies no matter where the hammer lands.

If the hammer lands in the middle we obviously do a ranged dps split, I personally can handle 2 adds with ease as a demonology warlock so I go on the left side and we give the other side the remaining 2 ranged dps them being a shadow priest on the farthest add, and an elemental shaman on the third.

When the hammer lands on the left side the melee and tanks will still go on either side of the hammer, the remaining 4 adds (the right side that had 6 adds but 2 were handled by a melee dps + a tank.) have 3 ranged dps remaining to handle them. I was on the far left side but since it was handled by a tank + a melee dps I rotate to the right side of the arena. The same idea is mirrored if the hammer hits on the right hand side, which leaves our shadow priest rotating around to the left side of the hammer. Hopefully that wasn't too convoluted to understand.
    Last edited by Aethilus; 2011-10-03 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Clarification

Quote Originally Posted by krelianzg View Post
    Yup, Boomkins really make this trivial. Pre-shrooming an add has it slowed by the time it's up, and Typhoon will knock back as many as you need on one side. You can pretty much have a Boomie assigned to any three adds (probably farthest three) and just have DPS and tanks worry about the rest until they're down.
    Can someone confirm this? I understood that they were immune to all slows.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    Can someone confirm this? I understood that they were immune to all slows.
    He means that the mushroom explosion gets the adds below 50% before they even start to move (I think), meaning that they "get slowed". You are correct that they are immune to all slows at least as far as I know.

OT: With your setup I would probably have your hunter/spriest take the mid>far adds, warrior and dk get the ones closest to the hammer, arcane mage and tanks get the middle adds. Make sure your dps doesn't try and kill an add before moving on to the next one, getting an add to 50% and then swapping targets is the way to go (unless we're talking about the adds that are closest to the hammer). I would also strongly recommend 2-healing this fight and possibly having your resto druid go balance.
    Last edited by mmoc780945631d; 2011-10-03 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elerion View Post
    He means that the mushroom explosion gets the adds below 50% before they even start to move (I think), meaning that they "get slowed". You are correct that they are immune to all slows at least as far as I know.
    OH, okay. I was thinking that I could pre-shroom 3 adds and get extra slows, and was feeling like a dummy for not trying that before.

Yup, was referring to the burst damage you can get on a single add with 0 time lost on rest of them.

15+ Year Old Account
    What we do is just number sons from right to left 1-8 and then assign people to each number so you know exaclty what son you need to be at and ready to kill. If one gets through we look at why and what the player did to let it slip through or what they could have done to kill it fast enough.

Makes knowing what add to dps and fixing issues WAY easy!
    Last edited by Odina; 2011-10-03 at 06:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yubari View Post
    Nah...
    During the time we still had people assigned to a son I would just make sure, that i would have Arcane Power (and maybe 1-2 other CDs) up when the first son comes out.
    You can hard cast a regular Arcane Blast before he even starts to move, use a POM Arcane Blast right after that and then switch to the next one with Arcane Blast because the first one will be slowed enough.
    It would be a waste of stacks/damage etc to use arcane barrage.

On our kill yesterday i almost did not have the time to get a single arcane blast off before they were all dead already but things get easier with gear...
    u cant use POM if Arcane power is active.. its either one or the other.