Page 1 of 2
LastLast

More expertise for Ragnaros

I find that my rage generation during ragnaros is sort of lacking do to being in front of rag the whole time. only pushing 16-18k dps on the fight, is it plausible to up my expertise..say by 4 points (30 expertise) to circumvent that abit? or is it too much of a drag on my dps?

TG Fury Warrior

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...iedin/advanced

Deleted
    Well, if attacking from the front, expertise would be the strongest secondary stat till the hardcap.

But a different positioning from the tanks and melee would be preferable.

If you stand on the far left or right of the platform to dps Ragnaros, it's just like hitting him from behind. You won't get parries. For the short amount of overall time you are actually in front of him, it's not worth sacrificing the other stats to up your expertise.

tanks on one side, melee on the other FTW

10+ Year Old Account
    If you're doing 10 man then that's just the way it's going to be, there are so many range issues for healers in 10. Capping expertise won't do you much good, I tried it. Rag is a cock block for melee, sorry. ]:

10+ Year Old Account
    Lowering other stats in order to gain extra Expertise above the 26 cap even if your attacking from the front is theoretically a loss, though it can be circumstancial with the RNG and how much time is spent in front of Ragnaros. However it has been pointed out you should be standing one of the far left or far right sides of Ragnaros with the tanks on the opposite side to gain the maximum dps without lowering your other stats.

Classic Herod: Sinnermighty - Blood Legion (Unretired)

I guess its kind of important to tell yall its 10 man ..leaving that out was kind of stupid of me sorry

you realize that is you stand to the sides of rag it counts as his back right rogues and druids do this so just stand more to the side have your tanks tank him on one side so he turns more and bam boom there ya go

---------- Post added 2011-10-01 at 11:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bareback View Post
    If you're doing 10 man then that's just the way it's going to be, there are so many range issues for healers in 10. Capping expertise won't do you much good, I tried it. Rag is a cock block for melee, sorry. ]:
    me as a dk i do around 29 to 30 k on rag our druid does around the same learn to raid and you can over come scrubness

---------- Post added 2011-10-01 at 11:53 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Morrei View Post
    I find that my rage generation during ragnaros is sort of lacking do to being in front of rag the whole time. only pushing 16-18k dps on the fight, is it plausible to up my expertise..say by 4 points (30 expertise) to circumvent that abit? or is it too much of a drag on my dps?

TG Fury Warrior

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...iedin/advanced
    i looked at your current progression you havent even killed alysrazor or domo so why you worried about rag
    but as i said in my other post say you are looking at rag if your tanks tank him to the right a little and not right in the middle rag turns slightly there for giveing melee acess to his backside even though you are still only attacking his side it regesters as his back same on domo a druid or rogue can still get hit by the swipe his scorpion form does yet hit him from the back the just move to his sides since the attack hits front and side hope this helped good luck on killing rag

Quote Originally Posted by hornfreak View Post
    you realize that is you stand to the sides of rag it counts as his back right rogues and druids do this so just stand more to the side have your tanks tank him on one side so he turns more and bam boom there ya go

---------- Post added 2011-10-01 at 11:50 PM ----------

me as a dk i do around 29 to 30 k on rag our druid does around the same learn to raid and you can over come scrubness

---------- Post added 2011-10-01 at 11:53 PM ----------

i looked at your current progression you havent even killed alysrazor or domo so why you worried about rag
    but as i said in my other post say you are looking at rag if your tanks tank him to the right a little and not right in the middle rag turns slightly there for giveing melee acess to his backside even though you are still only attacking his side it regesters as his back same on domo a druid or rogue can still get hit by the swipe his scorpion form does yet hit him from the back the just move to his sides since the attack hits front and side hope this helped good luck on killing rag
    hasnt updated yet..we just downed them tonight and where working on Rag .

Deleted
    If you're unable to tank him turned sideways for a majority of the encounter you should certainly consider increasing your expertise by a few points. Parried special abilities is a major loss, and having such a major risk to have your white swings parried is sure to occasionally create rage starvation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Now it's been nerfed, the dps is even less of a worry, but pre nerf our comp used to to have 1 melee in it, an enhancement shaman - slightly different but bear with me. She used to stand with the tanks in Phase1, when everyone was on one side of the room. This prevented her being out of healing range. Phase 2 and 3 it's fine she's far over as healers are too, but don't be afraid to do that simply because even pre nerf, the enrage timer was generous with our 5 dps doing about 20k averaged over the fight.

I know that's not really what you asked but the point I'm trying to make is that your dps in phase 1 doesn't matter, Phase1 is a joke once you practice it. Phase 2 and 3 solve your problems. You see those 3 circles on the floor just around his lava pool? If your tanks are on the right and melee left, if your tanks stand on the furthest right one and your melee on the furthest left or middle one, you'll be fine. Or in phase 3, if tanks stand on the central one then dps on the far left just beyond the circles, you won't get parried either.

He has a massive back area range. A lot bigger than other bosses. I tested it one night to see just how big it was and I was able to Backstab on my Rogue from what would be classed as in front by a mile of other bosses. Just adjust ever so slightly around without losing healing range, but also to the point where you notice Parries stop happening.
    Azrax, Level 85 Gnome Rogue
    Kárnivool, Level 85 Human Priest
    <Ka Pai> - New Zealand based 25 man, 3 day raiding guild. We strive to provide an attractive, enjoyable, and constructive raid environment. Currently 4/8 Heroic Dragon Soul.

---- Currently Retired from Early Dragon Soul Progression, will be back for Mists!! ----

If your guild is tanking rag in a fasion that melee dps is always facing rag and getting parried, you should seriously consider finding another guild. Tank on left, DPS on right, or vice versa.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssateneth View Post
    If your guild is tanking rag in a fasion that melee dps is always facing rag and getting parried, you should seriously consider finding another guild. Tank on left, DPS on right, or vice versa.
    Doesn't necessarily work for 10m.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrosaurus View Post
    Doesn't necessarily work for 10m.
    Well, both, me(HPaladin) and our RShaman can keep the tanks up on our own. If we have more than 1 meleeDPS we usually have everyone except for me and the tanks stand left with our Mage/Shadow/Lock for the traps in the middle. For just one melee it's usually not worth the hassle, the dps race (if you can still call it a race) in normal mode is P3 where we have tanks and healers on the right and everyone else on the left. If your DPS don't suck they won't take any damage.

This is nhc of course, from the op it sounded like it and armory is down atm, so cannot check.

Quote Originally Posted by niai View Post
    Well, both, me(HPaladin) and our RShaman can keep the tanks up on our own. If we have more than 1 meleeDPS we usually have everyone except for me and the tanks stand left with our Mage/Shadow/Lock for the traps in the middle. For just one melee it's usually not worth the hassle, the dps race (if you can still call it a race) in normal mode is P3 where we have tanks and healers on the right and everyone else on the left. If your DPS don't suck they won't take any damage.

This is nhc of course, from the op it sounded like it and armory is down atm, so cannot check.
    There is actually 2 Melee, myself and a Frost DK

Yay me for not going into larger detail ..allright heres abit more info.

Our raid comprises of

Tanks
    -Bear
    -Paladin

Heals
    -Resto Shammy
    -Disc Priest
    -Resto Druid

DPS
    -Fury Warrior
    -Frost DK
    -Arcane Mage
    -Survival Hunter
    -Shadow Priest

The tanks pick him up in phase 1 in the middle of the room, melee stacks loosely with the tanks along with the disc priest. ranged and remaining healers are spread out loosely throughout the room.

Mind you this is now pointless considering Merinpallys comment about the burn portion of phase one not really mattering, then catching up on phase 2 (wich we haven't reached yet ..jsut started on him last night and trying to get the transition down)

Deleted
    If you really want to do 3 healers (you honestly shouldn't) you can just send the melees and a healer to the opposite side from the tanks.

It's perfectly fine to split tanks from melee DPS on 10 man. We 2 heal this - tanks on the right, melee on the left. The DPS will be as close to the center as possible while still being in Shred-range. H Paladin covers the tanks and a ranged DPS, Disc Priest is on the left covering everyone else. Anyone who tells you this doesn't work for 10 man is just flat wrong.

I experimented with going to Rag with 56 expertise as TG yesterday, reforging mainly hit and haste/mastery to expertise.. No surprise didn't end too well, even without parries I dropped from about 20k average to 18k average dps.
    Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

I reforged to 38 expertise for an entire night of Heroic Rag attempts, then for the next night went back to normal. I didn't see any difference at all.