Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thats a nice Dev post

Quote Originally Posted by mickybrighteyes View Post
    Naw, the advanced classes have the talent trees.
    Thats what he meant, if you dont pick a AC you dont get access to talent trees....so what would be point of not picking one

---------- Post added 2011-10-06 at 08:09 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Thats a nice Dev post
    Yeah when is that from i wonder, the way i read it seems you cant change AC as he was saying ''if you want to switch styles ie healing/dps/tanking dont pick a AC that is only DPS''....as you now can change AC its moot

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sengura View Post
    They'll most likely not let you progress with the story if you don't pick an AC. Which means you'll be stuck on the lowbie planet until you do. So it'll basically make it mandatory. You might be able to grind to level 15 or something before the mobs stop giving XP, but I don't see the point.
    I won't break NDA, but you'll make a choice at the right time, and you'll feel good about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
    At level 10, you can choose an advanced class. Without choosing an advance class, you can't spend skill points (think talents). You also are very limited on what abilities you'd learn. I'm also not sure if the storyline would let you get away with not picking one. There's essentially no reason to not pick an advanced class.
    Why not pick an advanced class? You'd be missing out on 50% of your character or more.

After reading this thread I hope the game doesn't make you pick an Advanced Class before it lets you continue. Leveling to 50 without picking an AC sounds like a really fun challenge to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Osskssa View Post
    Thats what he meant, if you dont pick a AC you dont get access to talent trees....so what would be point of not picking one

---------- Post added 2011-10-06 at 08:09 PM ----------

Yeah when is that from i wonder, the way i read it seems you cant change AC as he was saying ''if you want to switch styles ie healing/dps/tanking dont pick a AC that is only DPS''....as you now can change AC its moot
    It's pretty recent. Where is this info about being able to change your AC? My experience has shown me that it is not possible at this point in time to do that.

Someone quoted from a dev about you being able to change your AC...its in the megathread i think, found it

http://www.askajedi.com/2011/07/21/s...ware-base-q-a/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Chrqp...144B41&index=3 (as video)

"Advanced Class change is in the game. 1st swap is cheap. After that it gets expensive"
    Thats different from the "after certain level forever".
    Last edited by Osskssa; 2011-10-06 at 11:55 PM.

Swapping advanced classes is... odd.

I don't mind it, but still an odd choice for the devs.

Someone quoted from a dev about you being able to change your AC...its in the megathread i think, found it

"Advanced Class change is in the game. 1st swap is cheap. After that it gets expensive"
    Yea I remember seeing that. George's post (the aforementioned one) is from like 2 or 3 days ago. And, not to go much further, but my experience says my operative is staying an operative .

EDIT: I will invesitmigate further and determine what is happening.

Not more than a week after SDCC they clarified that further. AC swapping will be in because they don't want you mistakenly picking one AC when you wanted the other and they don't want you regretting your choice a few levels later. At the same time they want your AC choice to matter and will make the AC swap more expensive or impossible after a certain level.

A dev post from a week or so after that:
    http://www.swtor.com/community/showt...94#edit7816194
    Last edited by cornjoelio; 2011-10-07 at 07:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Spy View Post
    I now desire a level 50 consular with no AC.

I shall make it happen.
    Have fun playing by yourself.

I hope that I can make a max level toon that didn't pick an advanced class.

Even if it means weeks of farming low level mobs.

And for people asking "why", because I can. For the same reason people do weird stuff in WoW, like leveling a toon without any quests, or leveling a toon with just gathering professions.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Also for those of you who want to get to the level cap without an AC, I thought I was going to be giving you bad news. I remembered at one time one of the devs said there was no way you were going to be able to advance past level 10 without picking an advanced class. But then I found this in the AC dev blog:
    Not conclusive proof that you'll be able to get to 50 as a non-advanced class, but it is proof that you don't have to pick one at level 10.

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    From the looks of things, you are required to choose an advanced class. But it seems like some people discuss their future toons as if they are not choosing an advanced class. So is it mandatory? Or is there essentially going to be 24 playable classes?
    Also from what I read you're locked into that AC after level 20.

Can't wait to I level to smugglers. This is going to suck.
    Oceanic Guild Looking For People To Join Us For PVP and PVE
    Knights of the Force

Deleted
    Not choosing an Advanced Class in SWtoR is like getting to level 10 in WoW and not spending your points.
    The Advanced Class defines what you are and how you'll play, so it is mandatory, but I bet that, just like in WoW, you can get to max level without spending those points... if you are crazy to do it

Quote Originally Posted by cornjoelio View Post
    Also for those of you who want to get to the level cap without an AC, I thought I was going to be giving you bad news. I remembered at one time one of the devs said there was no way you were going to be able to advance past level 10 without picking an advanced class. But then I found this in the AC dev blog:

Not conclusive proof that you'll be able to get to 50 as a non-advanced class, but it is proof that you don't have to pick one at level 10.
    You don't have to choose one. I ran into one guy who was level 18 and hadn't picked an AC yet.

So it's kinda like on aion? Once you hit 10 you choose which class you want? and you go from there? Can you change back to another class or do you have to start all over?

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Keeshy View Post
    Can't wait to I level to smugglers. This is going to suck.
    You don't have to, since you can pay to change your advanced class as well.