Thread: Graphics Card

Graphics Card

Hello MMO-C posters, my friend and I are planning to grab new graphics cards for SWTOR (among other games, but TOR mainly). I know very little about computer hardware (/sadface), so I was wondering if anyone could give me an opinion on this card we were looking at based on the specs required for TOR. Thanks.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...verview.aspx#1

I have the hd6850 and it's working great for all games tbh, I'm sure you'll be able to play in high settings with that card.

Quote Originally Posted by Alanni View Post
    I have the hd6850 and it's working great for all games tbh, I'm sure you'll be able to play in high settings with that card.
    Great. Thanks a bunch.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not the biggest expert on computer hardware there is, but the card itself should be more than enough to run TOR. (I have built a couple of systems over the past several years...so I know a bit.)

Keep in mind what the card requirements though. Some people miss those when they are buying a new graphics card. Make sure your motherboard has the proper slot for the card. Ensure the power supply can handle this beast.

Just my thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by Azcatryo View Post
    I'm not the biggest expert on computer hardware there is, but the card itself should be more than enough to run TOR. (I have built a couple of systems over the past several years...so I know a bit.)

Keep in mind what the card requirements though. Some people miss those when they are buying a new graphics card. Make sure your motherboard has the proper slot for the card. Ensure the power supply can handle this beast.

Just my thoughts.
    Thanks for the input, we are checking all of the requirements and such now

10+ Year Old Account
    Really depends on what you want to spend. Just make sure any card you buy is DirectX11 capable.

Here is a good mid range card for a great price, you can play any game on the market and any game coming out. But it wont play the high end graphics games on max, but will still provide a good experience. Also keep in mind MMO's like SWTOR are not going to be as GPU intensive as say BF3 so dont feel like you need the highest end card.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&Sku=E145-0550

Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Really depends on what you want to spend. Just make sure any card you buy is DirectX11 capable.

Here is a good mid range card for a great price, you can play any game on the market and any game coming out. But it wont play the high end graphics games on max, but will still provide a good experience. Also keep in mind MMO's like SWTOR are not going to be as GPU intensive as say BF3 so dont feel like you need the highest end card.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&Sku=E145-0550
    We are looking to spend around the $200 dollar mark, like I said we are going to be playing other games as well (BF3 being one of them coincidentally haha). So we would want the best possible for around that price.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dacu View Post
    We are looking to spend around the $200 dollar mark, like I said we are going to be playing other games as well (BF3 being one of them coincidentally haha). So we would want the best possible for around that price.
    The card I posted should do fine for BF3. Im beta testing on a GTX 460 and its running great! But I've never needed to have my settings on max as Im more concerned with max view distance and shadows then some of the other graphics. So if you go Nvidia go with the 550, Im not sure spending the extra $50 is worth it for the 560 but maybe someone here can shed some insight.

There is also the ATI line of cards, but I stopped using ATI when BF2 came out and the Radeon 9200 wasnt supported even though its predecessors were.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd recommend getting a MSI Twin Frzn II Gtx 560 ti. It's about 230 or so and for price/performance ratio, its well worth it. And yes it will run BF3.

Just make sure your power supply has enough "power".

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    A $200 card will more than suffice. I'm running an nvidia GTS 450 1GB card I got on-sale at Newegg for $90. I am currently in the beta for SWTOR and I have no graphical issues or slowdown with any of the games or betas installed on my 'puter.

Here's the link to my card:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130573

Pretty good card, really. Quiet and cheap. I'm fairly happy.
    SCUM AND VILLAINY
    You will never find a more wretched hive...

10+ Year Old Account
    Hello MMO-C posters, my friend and I are planning to grab new graphics cards for SWTOR (among other games, but TOR mainly). I know very little about computer hardware (/sadface), so I was wondering if anyone could give me an opinion on this card we were looking at based on the specs required for TOR. Thanks.

http://www.amd.com/us/products/deskt...verview.aspx#1
    I have one of these from XFX, got it for around 140 after rebate from Newegg. It plays Battlefield 3 with an i3 2120 on high settings no issues. It should run TOR fine (that was my goal with the card)

Well, all I can say is that you will need a more-than-decent graphic card to play ToR at max settings.

I'm playing it on an i7@4GHz, 6 Gb ram ddr3 1600mhz triple channel and MSI Hawk GTX460 1Gb at 1920x1200, high/medium (mixed) settings and it's not great. I only have around 30fps. I expected it to run better but I'm pretty sure they'll tweak it more before final release.

Anyway, the game is absolutely great ! Worth upgrading ! That's all I can say.
    “There is no right or wrong, only consequences.”
    -------------------------------------------------

Deleted
    Requirements for Swtor are not so big ...
    - ATI X1800 or better
    - nVidia 7800 or better
    - Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better
    Those are minimum ... do the mats for recommended

I run on a 560 ti that is slightly overclocked and on my old core 2 quad (OC'd to 3ghz) and 6 gigs ddr2 ram, I get ranging between 20-80 fps depending on how crowded it is with pretty much everything very high or max. Also am forcing anti-aliasing 8x with nvidia inspector. The graphics are pretty amazing at those settings and I find it to be pretty playable. Oh and that is at 1680x1050, takes a pretty big hit going up to 1920x1080. I am running with shadows turned down just because like WoW, shadows make a huge improvement to performance, and I don't really feel I need em to be super detailed.

I have a Geforce GTS 450 and I can run 25-50 FPS in just about every game on High.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was hoping that I might add my own system specs and let you genius' work your magic. I would like to know if the game will be playable, and if so what setteing would you guys expect?

Model: Dell Studio 1458
    Processor: Intel Core i7 Q840 @ 1.87 GHz
    RAM 8GB
    ATI mobility radeon hd 5450
    "I'll tell you something, my Tenchi, you know the carnival comes and goes. But if you wait for a while, it'll always come back to you, Tenchi."~Ryoko TENCHIxRYOKO FTW!

"The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.
    The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined. The crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.