Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Foods that help against heartburn/ acid reflux?

so i recently got off a 14 day cycle of prilosec because i have pretty bad acid reflux(to me atleast), on the box it says not to take for more than 14 days in a row, until 4 months have passed. it really acts up during my workouts and drains my energy with all the burning. now my question is, are there any foods that would help prevent this? like ive noticed that whenever i eat any tomato based foods (sauce etc) or anything with enough sodium it tends to act up more. anyone going/went through this have anything to input?

Probably the usual healthy stuff like whole grain breads, low fat milk products, fruits and vegetables. Try to stay away from greasy and spicy stuff.

I don't know about food, rendering my input immediately invalid, but Ranitidine is apparently a very good medicine for that; my mother swears by it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpy View Post
    Ya i think Karadros got it right sadly..
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRagebear View Post
    Sylvanas is flawless and should be canonized as a saint.

My uncle swears by peanut butter for helping with heartburn. Give that a try.

Oh I heard a spoon of vinegar.. though It is just something I heard, you may want to do some official research.

Oatmeal. Eat with papaya and apples. One apple per day is key to victory.

Also natural juice, like orange, is a good option. Also drink at least 2,5 liters of water per day.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Facepalmer3 View Post
    Oh I heard a spoon of vinegar.. though It is just something I heard, you may want to do some official research.
    I've heard something similar for Apple Cider vinegar. I've never had the nerve to try it though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have had acid reflux for years and have taken both Prilosec and Zantac for it.

My doctor says to avoid: chocolate, caffeine, peppermint, tomatoes, fried/greasy foods.

Also, don't eat right before a strenuous workout, don't eat too close to bedtime, and try sleeping propped up on a wedge or extra pillow.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

Deleted
    I'm a med student and I've had the topic acid-reflux, etc. Usually milk helps a bit against this. Also smoking and drinking alcohol is bad for your stomach. It makes it more vulnerable to the acid which leads to more problems.

You can also buy some tablets at the local drug store. The tablets you will want are antacids (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antacid). Here in the Netherlands we have a popular brand called Rennie, but I don't know what brands there are where you live. If these do not work you will have to go to your doctor, because you will need prescription medication.

I hope this helped.

thanks for the suggestions so far guys, ill see what they do, i actually see how chocolate and caffeine tomatoes and greasy food would cause it to act up more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Silentsnipe1212 View Post
    thanks for the suggestions so far guys, ill see what they do, i actually see how chocolate and caffeine tomatoes and greasy food would cause it to act up more.
    Caffeine = terribad for your stomach.

Also I just noticed you said you took Prilosec. Not a good idea if it was not prescribed. It's generally used against an infection of H. Pylori which can cause ulcers in the stomach or intestines. And it's a relatively strong medicine. You usually start with relatively weaker ones and build up if they do not work.

tums, milk, bananas, stay away from shitty food when u drink alcohol!!

I take Prilosec OTC everyday and have for over 5 years. I have asked at least 2 doctors about potential long-term effects and they told me there were none. I admit that I have not done the research myself, but I have not had any problems with heartburn since I started taking it.

As for foods, red meat, greasy foods, sugar (in any form), spicy food, alcohol, and caffeine will all increase heartburn and acid reflux. Avoiding or minimizing those foods will decrease your symptoms.

However, I would ask a gastroenterologist about taking Prilosec (generic being omeprazole) or something else on a regular basis if you are like me and love burritos and coffee (not together, of course).
    Opulence. I has it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zaheer12a View Post
    Caffeine = terribad for your stomach.

Also I just noticed you said you took Prilosec. Not a good idea if it was not prescribed. It's generally used against an infection of H. Pylori which can cause ulcers in the stomach or intestines. And it's a relatively strong medicine. You usually start with relatively weaker ones and build up if they do not work.
    Prilosec is actually sold without a prescription in the States nowadays, at a low dose - Nexium being the stronger, prescription version. It's safe to take for a short while as long as you follow the instructions on the packaging.

Just realized I forgot to answer OP's original question... Milk is really the only thing I've noticed that helps when my reflux is acting up. It seems to cool the burn a bit.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
    ...stay away from greasy and spicy stuff.
    Things I heard help when you already have it is bananas, yoghurt and milk.
    Last edited by mmoc5802fe7f7d; 2011-10-04 at 02:57 AM.

My partner has really bad acid sometimes, and the one thing that consistantly made it feel better was.... a spoonfull of vinegar (cider vinegar recommened) mixed into a glass of warm water.

Obviously it's not a cure, and does not address the root of the problem but it is a medication free and natural way to ease off the burning. I know it sounds wierd an acidic substance calming acid problems but it really works. It also tastes fairly rank so you might want to have something on hand to kill the taste afterwards. Check up on some websites - this isn't something I made up! We tried it out of desperation and it worked a charm - the main drawback is the rank taste.

Quote Originally Posted by schweinsteiger View Post
    Oatmeal. Eat with papaya and apples. One apple per day is key to victory.

Also natural juice, like orange, is a good option. Also drink at least 2,5 liters of water per day.
    Citric acid = bad for heartburn. Especially orange juice, ffs. However, water does help substantially.
    Opulence. I has it.

I had some horrible heartburn when I was pregnant. Foods that made it 200x worse was fatty and greasy foods. Eat toast, rice, bananas, applesauce, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Maelle View Post
    My partner has really bad acid sometimes, and the one thing that consistantly made it feel better was.... a spoonfull of vinegar (cider vinegar recommened) mixed into a glass of warm water.

Obviously it's not a cure, and does not address the root of the problem but it is a medication free and natural way to ease off the burning. I know it sounds wierd an acidic substance calming acid problems but it really works. It also tastes fairly rank so you might want to have something on hand to kill the taste afterwards. Check up on some websites - this isn't something I made up! We tried it out of desperation and it worked a charm - the main drawback is the rank taste.
    I have actually heard about this. Vinegar somehow reacts with the acid to neutralize it. Like you said, counter-intuitive but whatever works. And you know what, taking a shot of vinegar is not much worse than Mylanta or Pepto .
    Opulence. I has it.