Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

no tank/healer/dps?

I ve seen this on videos...is it really?I mean ok there are no actual tank or healer but are there classes that are considered more viable to take damage and classes that consider to have stronger heals?for example I saw a class named Guardian, is this supposed to be the "tank" but you can also do without him?

I am really very interesting to see how this will work :P it will be fantastic if it works well..I love the idea that dodge and block will not be something random but actually something you can do if you have good timing/skill.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Deleted
    No profession is a tank, a healer or a DPS.

Obviously the heavy armour professions cna take more of a beating upfront, but that doesn't mean they're a tank. Every profession is able to "tank", but you'll be doing it by evading not standing there getting healed. Since you can target people and heal the, everyone has to look after themselves health wise, unless an Engineer or Elementist uses there AoE healing skills, but they are not healers either.

The holy trinity(tank/healer/DPS) isn't in GW2 like it is woW and other MMO's. You don't need a tank, healer and 3 DPS to make a group. You can take any 5 people, and be able to do dungeons etc. You just have to work together, and look after yourself instead of relying on your tank/healer to do it for you.

Herald of the Titans Snow White's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are no direct heals to allies, so no, there are no healers. It has been said if you try and tank a mob for more than 5 seconds you will get creamed, so you and your buddies need to be 'controlling'; mobs rather than tanking them. Defensive toons with shields can block certain attacks which helps them take hits better but no there is no 'tanking' either.

From what I gather everyone does a bit of everything and you are mostly responsible for yourself.

Indeed, no healers, no tanks and no dps'ers.

Every class has it's own way of controlling, protecting, dealing damage and healing.

A warrior is a front line player, which can burst some damage around him, but he can also fall back and do some great damage with a Rifle. He can use shouts and banners for a group wide support.

A ranger is mostly a backline player, but with the use of it's pet and axes/swords/greatsword. It can also be a great melee player.

The Guardian that you mention is like a holy warrior. It can use Scepters or Axes/Great Swords to deal with stuff it's own way. It can also put Shields on the ground for people to stand it to protect them. It's impossible for any class to do a spell which targets a ally. You cannot target an ally and heal it. There's no way in the game. And by that a complete new mechanic exists.

You could do a dungeon in it's hardest mode, and complete it with 5 warriors if you like. It's how good the players are, not which classes you bring along to do so.

In my opinion; http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

Go there, look stuff up, really read stuff, and learn about what Guild Wars 2 is. This isn't your average MMO, this is a complete new concept, which differs from ALL the others out there.

hey guys thanks a lot for clear this up to me..now i am really excited :P Personaly I always play tank classes in games cause i like very much fighting with a shield , but as it is now I can only gather gear and the game calculate and rng decides if i block or dodge...

So in gw2 i can play a class with a shield, do equal damage with others, have same responsibilities as others and actually control when I dodge or block if I am skilled enough or learn well my character...thats sounds epic atm :P
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    hey guys thanks a lot for clear this up to me..now i am really excited :P Personaly I always play tank classes in games cause i like very much fighting with a shield , but as it is now I can only gather gear and the game calculate and rng decides if i block or dodge...

So in gw2 i can play a class with a shield, do equal damage with others, have same responsibilities as others and actually control when I dodge or block if I am skilled enough or learn well my character...thats sounds epic atm :P
    Yep. I think you just double tap in the direction you want to go and you dodge that way. Forget what button blocking is.

Anyway, combat is going to be super fun.

Warriors have the skill shield bash and shield stance.. which blocks incoming attacks. Otherwise when having a shield, you won't get blocks, but damage reduction. Forget your dodge/block/parry stats from WoW

Forget your dodge/block/parry stats from WoW
    thats very good, I am not fun of RNG...I want to rely on myself :P

Yep. I think you just double tap in the direction you want to go and you dodge that way. Forget what button blocking is.

Anyway, combat is going to be super fun.
    witcher coming in mind very fast :P yea I think it will be very fun too!actually this is what I am expecting mostly, the combat...it seems very action - style in the videos I see and I like it :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I think a lot of it will be kiting, throwing up walls/shields and using evading moves - one thing that I haven't head anything about is the threat/aggro system. Will the mob permanently chase the first person to attack it? Will the mob chase whoever deals the most damage to it? What about controlling instead of damaging, does that build threat? Do any professions have tools to generate extra threat or temporarily make the mob focus their attention on the player? Kiting and evading mobs will take space - what if the mob is huge, has a huge reach and there are space constraints? Do players have a way to bounce the mob between them, or is someone going to have to take a death?
    The absence of a proper tank (and healer) raises so many questions :P
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-10-04 at 12:00 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Threat is something which hasn't been explained yet.

Deleted
    They said mobs attack the closest enemy, so you could tank by going in and out. But then, they said it's not final and GW1 players expect them to add better AI. In GW1 there was no threat per se as in WoW. Mobs attacked the first person they saw, but they quickly switched targets to the least armored people (monks and elementalists usually), so they had to kite almost forever or until warrior was able to grab their attention by crippling them or knocking them down.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've heard it depends on the mob type. Some attack the closest target. Others will always go for the clothie. Some will target the player with the lowest health. I can't confirm, I have no source on this. Just things I've heard.

Deleted
    Seriously, can't wait to test this system

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    I think a lot of it will be kiting, throwing up walls/shields and using evading moves - one thing that I haven't head anything about is the threat/aggro system. Will the mob permanently chase the first person to attack it? Will the mob chase whoever deals the most damage to it? What about controlling instead of damaging, does that build threat? Do any professions have tools to generate extra threat or temporarily make the mob focus their attention on the player? Kiting and evading mobs will take space - what if the mob is huge, has a huge reach and there are space constraints? Do players have a way to bounce the mob between them, or is someone going to have to take a death?
    The absence of a proper tank (and healer) raises so many questions :P
    I have the same questions lol. It's hard to grasp the concept without trying it, but one thing I'm sure of:
    I will PLAY this game just to try this combat system, let it be one week or 6 years
    Last edited by mmoc2c1b11db5d; 2011-10-04 at 12:41 PM. Reason: trying harder to spell :p

I've heard it depends on the mob type. Some attack the closest target. Others will always go for the clothie. Some will target the player with the lowest health. I can't confirm, I have no source on this. Just things I've heard.
    well I think they will put a nice priority system that will be clever* I don't think this is the difficult part :P for example if you played Dragon Age there is a tactic interface where you can set priorities and almost make him perfect fighting...

attacked by melee
    attack lowest health
    spell 1 on mage
    spell 2 on ranger

I am sure they will find a way to do it :P and if this not happened at the launch I am sure it will evolve in time...this is a completely new system so it needs a lot of testing!either way I think it will be more interesting than tank and spank..every moment you will have in mind that maybe you will get attacked and have to be ready and plan in which direction you will dodge/kite if you get attacked, e.t.c. I don't know if I just have high expectations and be disappointed at the end, but this seems a new dynamic combat that is not scripted and every fight will be different even wit hthe same mob, depending on character positions, their skill to evade and kite , e.t.c.

Definitely an interesting idea with the no dedicated role system they are going with. Personally, i believe it'll make the game more enjoyable for everyone. We will just have to see when it's here.

Would you guys think the combat/dodging aspects can be related to Dragon Age 2, or moreso, The Witcher 2? I recently started playing The Witcher 2, and it is a lot of fun being able to side-step/roll-dodge attacks, as well as parry (not as much as rolling). I think the game does it effectively, and allows for a fun experience regarding combat. It feels very real and fluid. Does anyone think that's how GW2 will pan out (or for anyone who has played it, is that what it feels like)?

OT: I'm sure if any class gets a taunt spell or can take more damage, they will become the tank. Any class who has support spells and is at range will fall into a healer class in between pew pews. I don't know if there will be viability regarding "aggro" and such, but hopefully they can pull it off and not make it feel like you're just there to tank, heal, or dps (though, there's nothing wrong with that really...).

Quote Originally Posted by WorldofWorkcraft View Post
    Would you guys think the combat/dodging aspects can be related to Dragon Age 2, or moreso, The Witcher 2? I recently started playing The Witcher 2, and it is a lot of fun being able to side-step/roll-dodge attacks, as well as parry (not as much as rolling). I think the game does it effectively, and allows for a fun experience regarding combat. It feels very real and fluid. Does anyone think that's how GW2 will pan out?

OT: I'm sure if any class gets a taunt spell or can take more damage, they will become the tank. Any class who has support spells and is at range will fall into a healer class in between pew pews. I don't know if there will be viability regarding "aggro" and such, but hopefully they can pull it off and not make it feel like you're just there to tank, heal, or dps (though, there's nothing wrong with that really...).
    I haven't played The Witcher 2 myself, but i have seen it played by others. From what i've seen from that and the Guild Wars 2 combat dodging, it will be similar in a way. For Guild Wars 2, your "dodge bar" depletes every time you dodge, then you have to have it filled up before you can actually dodge again. It seemed very fluid to me the way it worked though.
    Last edited by Ventashar; 2011-10-04 at 01:39 PM.

Deleted
    There's no taunt skills, and every profession has defensive skills. With AoE heals been very little, nobody can really "heal".

You won't ever feel like you're doing one of the trinity roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ventashar View Post
    I haven't played The Witcher 2 myself, but i have seen it played by others. From what i've seen from that and the Guild Wars 2 combat dodging, it will be similar in a way. For Guild Wars 2, you have to get your "dodge bar" filled up before you can actually dodge. It seemed very fluid to me the way it worked though.
    Now if only they'd add casting spells while jumping/flipping/rolling, they win life. Imagine doing a back flip while casting a fireball or something? I think, on shear brilliance, prettiness, and awesomeness, they'd just win life. Even while rolling, cast from your knees as you finish? I know the rogue-type-class-thing has the aerial daggers, but I mean just animations for each spell if you're jumping or rolling or something. Unless that's in? Can you jump and flip and cast spells at the same time?

I feel like the balance around no healer/dps/tank will be odd. So everyone is attacking and dodging and healing...hmm...I predict many downed states at first xD, because everyone is like PEW PEW oh wait, forgot to heal...

Now if only they'd add casting spells while jumping/flipping/rolling, they win life. Imagine doing a back flip while casting a fireball or something? I think, on shear brilliance, prettiness, and awesomeness, they'd just win life. Even while rolling, cast from your knees as you finish? I know the rogue-type-class-thing has the aerial daggers, but I mean just animations for each spell if you're jumping or rolling or something. Unless that's in? Can you jump and flip and cast spells at the same time?

I feel like the balance around no healer/dps/tank will be odd. So everyone is attacking and dodging and healing...hmm...I predict many downed states at first xD, because everyone is like PEW PEW oh wait, forgot to heal...
    Not sure on if you can jump and cast at the same time or not. Most videos i've seen don't really focus on jump casting, lol.

I luckily won't have that problem, i play a Warrior in Guild Wars currently so i know to bash stuff and try to heal myself.