Impending Victory and Heroic Ragnaros

First of all, if there is already a thread regarding this issue, I appologize (and could you please direct me to it?).

Anyways, with the massive nerf bat a couple weeks ago, our 10-man guild is now putting in work on the new slightly-less-heroic Ragnaros. We haven't gotten too deep into the fight yet as we've had some scheduling issues that have kept us from putting in a terribly large number of attempts. We're also going with a fairly common comp with 2 healers (either disc priest + holy pally or disc priest + resto druid).

Throughout the majority of this expansion, I've looked at Impending Victory as generally wasted talent points. However, I got to thinking about how that ilvl 346 caster trinket is so powerful because we spend so much of the fight with Ragnaros at very low health levels. That got me wondering if the specific fight mechanics of Heroic Rag made that talent worthwhile since we are going to spend a fair bit of time below 25%.

So, my question to those more experienced prot warriors out there - is it worthwhile to spec into Impending Victory (coupled with the glyph) for Heroic Ragnaros in 10-man? And if so, what talents are you generally taking away from to get 2/2 into Impending Victory?

Deleted
    The problem with Impending Victory is that it's rather weak and not controllable. It can be parried, it can refuse to proc and you will sacrifice DPS in order to use it - and your DPS should not be underestimated in a 10-man raid.

I did, however, have the same thought the other day. We're doing H Raggy tonight, I've specced into IV and I'm going to log it. I'll come back with my results later.

Yeah, I had considered some of those concerns, but completely neglected to consider the possibility of it being parried. A chance on a chance becomes less and less appealing. My main concern had been, as you mentioned, the sacrificed DPS. I just really wasn't sure what the healing requirements would be like in the final phase(s), which is what stirred my curiosity.

Any info you have after your raid tonight would be most appreciated!

Deleted
    Okay now. The reason for the 346 caster trinket is being "bis" for some casters in this fight is because of p3. P3 is (or was at least) a dps race to only reach 2 meteors. The trinket would have 50% or so uptime within this phase.

I would say that the talent is rather useless on Ragnaros heroic. It can proc in p3 where there's no healing needed or in p4 where you as DPS dont really take that much dmg if you move correctly. As tank i would say it's rather useless as well on this fight. Looking forward to those logs =)

To clarify: Impending Victory is a 4th tier protection talent so this only applies to tanking.

And just jumping to the conclusion that it's useless for tanking kind of defeats the purpose of this thread. It does provide more self-heals. The question is if those self-heals are worth the trade-offs.
    Last edited by Llamaeggs; 2011-10-04 at 08:50 PM.

I spec'd into it our first kill and didn't even bother this week. I found it very hard to use since most of the time I'm topped off or I don't have a proc. I found that I'm really only in danger of dying when I run out to taunt for roots and I have high superheated stacks, at this point I'm out of melee range and can't use it.

Link to log: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=7455&e=8322
    Last edited by KrazyKris; 2011-10-04 at 10:51 PM.

Thank you so much for the feedback. Great points to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by Iyona View Post
    The problem with Impending Victory is that it's rather weak and not controllable. It can be parried, it can refuse to proc and you will sacrifice DPS in order to use it - and your DPS should not be underestimated in a 10-man raid.
    Out of curiosity the proced Victory Rush doesn't heal if parried ? Never really skilled that talent but I am pretty sure that the normal victory rush heals regardless of being a miss/parry/whatever.
    Last edited by cFortyfive; 2011-10-05 at 03:34 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by whoranzone View Post
    Out of curiosity the proced Victory Rush doesn't heal if parried ? Never really skilled that talent but I am pretty sure that the normal victory rush heals regardless of being a miss/parry/whatever.
    It's not Victory Rush that gets parried, it's the Devastates that are meant to proc it.

Deleted
    Actually I thought you didn't get the heal from VR if it was parried, but it seems like you do.

On topic, it may or may not be worth speccing into Impending Victory. It's not bad but it's not incredibly good either. P3 is quite short and damage taken is low, P4 can be quite intense but I haven't got enough experience in P4 to judge just how much relief healers would need.

I can imagine it being quite a lot stronger in a 10-man raid than in a 25-man raid, however. I'm going to keep two talent points in IV (as B&T doesn't do much to me on Ragnaros anyway) but I'm not sure I'd stress anybody to do the same.

I would say no. The 2 points in the fight where you can use the spell is end of p3 and end of p4, in p3 the healers dont have anything else to heal except for people failing in engulfing (which they shouldnt) doing high amounts of dps to get 1 meteor is far better. When you reach 20% in p4, you should have no meteors left meaning noone has to move and healers have very little to heal, again, killing him faster is preferred.

This is from personal experience, I dont feel its needed at all and if it were, your healers suck :/