Deleted
    Everyone is just dissapointing this weekend Bomber beaten by tlo. HerO and TaeJa out in the ro16, Life losing to san isnt all that suprising but still

Quote Originally Posted by kitt View Post
    Hi guys, there's a nice deal on Heart of the Swarm on g2a.com this weekend: https://www.g2a.com/weeklysale You can get it for 20Eur
    Just sayin
    Wow thanks! I got 5

Deleted
    So I'm looking to buy Starcraft 2.

I'm wondering if
    A) Should I bother buying the game? Is it fun? -- I want a game that I'll enjoy, but requires skill to be good at.
    B) If I do buy SC2 should I buy Hearts of the Swarm, too?
    C) Any newbie guides/tips?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonç View Post

I'm wondering if
    A) Should I bother buying the game? Is it fun? -- I want a game that I'll enjoy, but requires skill to be good at.
    A) Absolutely. Currently it is the best and the most popular RTS on the market. In addition to normal games, it also has zillions of fun custom maps you can play online with other people, so, even if you are bad at ladder, you always have something to do. I, for example, do not play ladder at all recently and spend all the time playing a few my favorite custom maps.
    B) Definitely. Overwhelming majority of people have HotS already, so, if you don't buy it, you may have a hard time trying to find people of your skill to play with. Besides, HotS campaign, IMO, is simply amazing.
    C) Watch Youtube streams and read guides. There is a lot to learn in this game, and some Youtubers make commentary on games which is really useful.
    Also I recommend you to play all 3 races at the beginning for quite a while, before you decide what race to play (or stick with Random, as I did).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonç View Post

I'm wondering if
    A) Yes, if you enjoy RTS, it is indeed requires skill to be good at. And a lot of concentration, so running a movie on another monitor will make you learn the game slower.
    B) Yes, without a question.
    C) http://www.teamliquid.net/ for example. Keep making probes. Don't try to learn the game from playing campaign. Don't feel scared from playing ranked games.

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Hearts of the Swarm campign is by far the best RTS campign gameplay wise i ever had a chance to play, Blizzard literally perfected that (the story is a bit cheesy tho), heavily suggested.
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

It is so weird too hear people say that hots is the best campaign out there. allthough i enjoyed it very much.... i really liked the WoL campaign more.

Quote Originally Posted by Schalde View Post
    It is so weird too hear people say that hots is the best campaign out there. allthough i enjoyed it very much.... i really liked the WoL campaign more.
    Gameplay wise the HotS Campaign is superior (far less rush missions, all missions contribute to the main story arc, etc.), story wise both are not that good. =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post
    Hearts of the Swarm campign is by far the best RTS campign gameplay wise i ever had a chance to play, Blizzard literally perfected that (the story is a bit cheesy tho), heavily suggested.
    Weird, for me it is the exact the opposite: WoL campaign was, in my opinion, more balanced and more interesting in terms of gameplay (a lot of interesting objectives and handicaps, and turtling Terrans feel more like old RTS from 90-s where you sit on your base building an army and passively defending, and then do a final counter-push), while HotS was too easy even on Brutal (I literally soloed most of the campaign by Kerrigan alone with Spawn Banelings and Apocalypse spells) and objectives were more classic, like "Destroy the enemy base". But story-wise and feature-wise, in my opinion, HotS simply owns it all - I've never seen any other RTS campaign with such dramatic cinematics, with such cool characters (Kerrigan, Abathur, Zagara, Dehaka - they are all incredible; I didn't really like Stukov though), with such an interesting tech development (I adored "evolution" mini-missions, especially Swarm Host one)... And the mission where you play as larvae on a Protoss ship is my favorite RTS mission ever. And the system of "Mastery" achievements added to the campaign's replayability.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, then Blizzard succeded with that, afterall Zerg should and play lot differently than a Terran campign afterall, in HotS you were the agressor like all the time. It was Kerrigan that wanted to escape or brake into somewhere, collect something to move on etc. Afterall, you 'are' the swarm, you do not defend, you swarm!

Personally i found WoL's 'buy upgrades and elite units' a bit meh-ish, i favor the evolution missions by far compared to them. Could be that enjoyed the zerg feel lot more than the usual 'your tradition RTS like terran defend build up counter' feel. As for challange, i agree that HotS were a bit undertuned.

Based on how different the zerg missions played compared to terran, i assume, Protoss missions will be this 'we are few but strong' feel attached to them, afterall, lore wise, protoss templars can manipulate time and space itself, zergs didn't even had a chance to go against them till they learned about the terrans
    Last edited by Darksoldierr; 2014-02-06 at 04:33 PM.
    Time is on our side

Based on how different the zerg missions played compared to terran, i assume, Protoss missions will be this 'we are few but strong' feel attached to them, afterall, lore wise, protoss templars can manipulate time and space itself, zergs didn't even had a chance to go against them till they learned about the terrans
    Is this some book lore? Because in the games the protoss always get destroyed by the swarm and can only flee, even after the Protoss are in contact with Terrans.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubbl3 View Post
    Is this some book lore? Because in the games the protoss always get destroyed by the swarm and can only flee, even after the Protoss are in contact with Terrans.
    I dont think so, but I imagine it will be like that due to the fact that in-game wise protoss units are stronger and more expensive than that of zerg and it would make for a pretty bad campaign if you just lost every mission because there is too much zerg ^^

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubbl3 View Post
    I think it might be. But even then, the ingame lore is that Protoss would absolutely shit on everything else if they weren't too busy fighting themselves. Their numbers are tiny but if even the few numbers they had united properly they'd melt the Terran and Zerg in a straight up fight - unfortunately, the Zerg don't quite do "straight up fights".

Well, thats what comes into my head. Reading Kel's post it may not be true
    Last edited by MerinPally; 2014-02-06 at 05:38 PM.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ohoho, you young nubcakes. You have no idea what you missed out in your childhood.

http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/misc/StarCraft.PDF ,go to page 26, thats where the lore starts. Each race has a 10-15 page long story. I had my mom read it up for me for bed time story

In short, Protoss templars (and to some limit, your avarage protoss joe) can bend the space and time to its will. The overmind knew it from the Xel'naga data, which he gathered, after he zergrushed them down at char. The overmind was 100% sure, in a straight out Protoss vs Zerg fight, the protoss would win, so he was searching for solutions to this problem, and one of his scouting 'deep space probe' found the terrans, with their deep psyonical potential.

So the overmind did the equation, if he can absorb that potential into the swarm, he could fight on even ground with the Protoss. And that lead to the infestation start of the story in Starcraft 1 (when with Jim you ecountering zerg infested buildings, etc)

The protoss has some inside problems (namely Dark Templars and the young executor, Tassadar with the conclave), they fight eachanother and sabatoage themselves even in the midst of the zerg invasion. That leads them to lose Aiur.

Read the story AND then read the unit descriptions, each unit gets some amazing lore behind them. I love how the Overlords were originally a traveling species that got trapped by the overmind, or the hydra's were eating nothing but grass, or Archons are very rare, because Templars are so deeply respected and have so much power, that their sacrafice is written in books for eternitiy to remember what they lost

I can literally tell the stories word by word, read them so much

In game the lore strength isn't displayed correctly (that would be a bit unbalanced), the only signs are that only Dark Templars can destroy cerebrates or that Tassadar all by himself destroyed the Overmind by turning into pure energy. Also, the Storms of the Templar isn't actually lighting based attack as the name would suggest, but tearing reallity apart in a specific zone, thats why it effects machines and armored units aswell (space marines, ultralisk, etc)
    Last edited by Darksoldierr; 2014-02-06 at 05:59 PM.
    Time is on our side

10+ Year Old Account
    (space marines, ultralisk, etc)
    Huh? I've just finished space marine "campaign" in soulstorm, you have confused me for a minute. And knowing how durable, resilient and strong space marines are, i would not jump into "WH40K vs starcraft universe" again.

But yeah, according to lore protoss are master race. They are kinda like space marines from WH40K. Their warriors have access to "psy" abilities (not in a way like templars do, but anyways) and gravely wounded warriors return back in fight in a form of dragoons or immortals (they are fucking impressive, just like dreadnouts). No one can win a fight against protoss, if they manage to get golden armada to the system, they can wipe out the system with ease (pretty much like exterminatus)

Ohoho, you young nubcakes. You have no idea what you missed out in your childhood.

http://ftp.blizzard.com/pub/misc/StarCraft.PDF ,go to page 26, thats where the lore starts. Each race has a 10-15 page long story. I had my mom read it up for me for bed time story

In short, Protoss templars (and to some limit, your avarage protoss joe) can bend the space and time to its will. The overmind knew it from the Xel'naga data, which he gathered, after he zergrushed them down at char. The overmind was 100% sure, in a straight out Protoss vs Zerg fight, the protoss would win, so he was searching for solutions to this problem, and one of his scouting 'deep space probe' found the terrans, with their deep psyonical potential.

So the overmind did the equation, if he can absorb that potential into the swarm, he could fight on even ground with the Protoss. And that lead to the infestation start of the story in Starcraft 1 (when with Jim you ecountering zerg infested buildings, etc)

The protoss has some inside problems (namely Dark Templars and the young executor, Tassadar with the conclave), they fight eachanother and sabatoage themselves even in the midst of the zerg invasion. That leads them to lose Aiur.

Read the story AND then read the unit descriptions, each unit gets some amazing lore behind them. I love how the Overlords were originally a traveling species that got trapped by the overmind, or the hydra's were eating nothing but grass, or Archons are very rare, because Templars are so deeply respected and have so much power, that their sacrafice is written in books for eternitiy to remember what they lost

I can literally tell the stories word by word, read them so much

In game the lore strength isn't displayed correctly (that would be a bit unbalanced), the only signs are that only Dark Templars can destroy cerebrates or that Tassadar all by himself destroyed the Overmind by turning into pure energy. Also, the Storms of the Templar isn't actually lighting based attack as the name would suggest, but tearing reallity apart in a specific zone, thats why it effects machines and armored units aswell (space marines, ultralisk, etc)
    Oh, you're right, I totally forgot about the SC1 manual... And I got the original here, from 1998 >.<

15+ Year Old Account
    Ye, i ment Terran Marines not Space Marines. Also they are like the child between Eldars and Space Marines, got the Eldar 'wizardy, witch craft with attitude problems' and Space Marine 'thougness, never giving up and stuborness'.

Hmpf, now that i think about, the only difference is that when Sc1 happened, Protoss was actually at their peak (had almost the entire Xel'naga space under control) unlike Humanity in WH40k or Eldar's slowly dieing race and do not have a weird religion.
    Last edited by Darksoldierr; 2014-02-06 at 06:30 PM.
    Time is on our side

10+ Year Old Account
    Ye, i ment Terran Marines not Space Marines. Also they are like the child between Eldars and Space Marines, got the Elder 'wizardy and witch craft with attitude problems' and Space Marine thougness, never giving up and stuborness.

Hmpf, now that i think about, the only difference is that when Sc1 happened, Protoss was actually at their peak (had almost the entire Xel'naga space under control) unlike Humanity in WH40k or Eldar's slowly dieing race and do not have a weird religion.
    Bah! You underestimate wizedy and witch craftness with attitude problems of librarians!

wow this thread is booming with life

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kel View Post
    wow this thread is booming with life
    I'm going out tonight for the 3rd night in a row, I can come back with more stories if you'd like. Like I used to post drunken rants and stories last year, not necessarily on this thread. Moreso on the paladin ones. I can do the same tonight if you'd like as I'm going out tonight and tomorrow as well, 4 nights in a row. Eurgh my wallet hurts.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.