Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    I wouldn't advise playing games on a laptop. Laptops are rarely good gaming machines anyway, and the keyboard on some laptops can be slightly awkward.

If you can make it work, then go for it, but if your gonna get a laptop, i suggest that it be kept for work or whatever else you need it for.
    Well I'm buying it to last me through college, so a laptop is a must. I figured that a current high-end(ish) laptop would probably outperform my 4 year old desktop.

Quote Originally Posted by Searsha View Post
    Well I'm buying it to last me through college, so a laptop is a must. I figured that a current high-end(ish) laptop would probably outperform my 4 year old desktop.
    as long as you have a mouse its not that big of a deal, and as long as its a decently new laptop you shouldn't have any trouble running it. I still play it on my laptop and was in platinum
    Battlemaster Ralamus (retired rogue)

10+ Year Old Account
    Watching SOTG now.

I think incontrol is right, that people are gonna go "Oh they've fixed the ghost" but at least with a smaller radius the only positional advantage EMP has over Fungal/Storm is range rather than both range and radius

Quote Originally Posted by Brofl View Post
    So much better on the stream. Destiny just baited him by feigning that he was going to lose and he walked right into the trap.
    I really wish I had seen the stream, my god if only I could have heard what Destiny was saying

Quote Originally Posted by Sym View Post
    Just saw this :

I think I wet myself with laughter watching this.

10+ Year Old Account
    That cannon rush...... my god.. that was gold?

On the SC Zerg EU forums, someone made a thread about Zerg not having any dedicated scouting ability in HotS, while Zerg is a race that is heavily punished for not scouting. I replied with a few suggestions and wondered what you people think of them?

This was my response.

''
    I definately agree. Seeing as the Viper's detection is one-use only (as far as i know) then perhaps it could be given a fourth spell, similar or the same as Changeling? Perhaps some kind of, say ''Nydus Grub'' - a small, very vunerable unit thats burrowed and moves fairly fast, but dies in just about one or two hits (20 - 30 health, no armor? A bit slower then a slowling?). This would be effective, but not overpowered, as it would be easy to counter, with some cursory detection. Perhaps to balance it could have a duration similar to a Changeling?

Just having Changeling would be great too. Two Queen abilities are also sort of situational (Transfuse and Creep Spread. Not to say they are not great abilities though!) so perhaps giving it some sort of scout would be nice. Perhaps make Roach burrowing like Infestor that it only needs Burrow researched - but it already has the capacity to move with Burrow? This would make early game Roach scouting viable, as well as lessening the amount of specific and situational upgrades Zerg need to research.

I chose the name 'Nydus' for my first suggestion due to me wanting it to be some sort of permanently burrowed worm type - and Nydus is the only existing name for such a creature. You know, if you wanted to get really creative, Nydus Grubs could be what build into Nydus Worms? Or something similar? (Completely speculating and spitballing here).

I also just had another potential idea. How about some sort of 'Creep Bomb' for the Overlord? The Overlord at present has the power to generate creep, so this would be something along those lines. My idea is essentially that it can drop a short range bomb that would coalesce into a blob of creep, and would very fast spread in the direction it was fired (along the line between target and Overlord). As it spread along, the creep behind it dissapears, so you only ever have around a hatchery or spawning pool blob of creep. It could spread (in front) and die (behind) about as fast as a slow Zergling? Also, it would cost a fair bit energy. Last in between 5 and 10 seconds?

It would be a good way to get some scouting info, but potentially hard to pull off. Also, the sight it would give would not be that large (about the size of the creep blob again on either side) so it wouldn't tell the Zerg everything.

Also, it would cost energy? Or perhaps minerals?

''
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

just make overlord speed baseline. BOOM! problem solved. TBH though, That would probably make them the best scouters in the game. I think the nydus grub thing and creep bombs or wtv would just make the game overly complicated.
    Last edited by Greens; 2011-10-30 at 06:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greens View Post
    the game overly complicated.
    I don't really care for the idea, but the one thing Staracraft 2 lacks right now is complexity. It could due to be more challenging.

10+ Year Old Account
    just make overlord speed baseline. BOOM! problem solved. TBH though, That would probably make them the best scouters in the game. I think the nydus grub thing and creep bombs or wtv would just make the game overly complicated.
    I think it would cause too many problems in the early game.

Maybe. I was just making random suggestions off the top of my head.

Edit : To be honest, Overlord speed being baseline would be a little OP. That said, i do think they should reduce the time it takes to train or the cost, once your at Lair.

I do really like the idea of a sort of Parasite ability that gives you LoS from one of your opponents units.
    Last edited by Migey; 2011-10-30 at 10:32 PM.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

10+ Year Old Account
    I got promo to diamond!

Annnd if you have not seem this yet;
    http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/co...ation_seen_in/

It is a custom map that is theory crafted for Hots. Pretty fun... only had time for one game though... hopefully I have more time during the week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Wounds View Post
    Myself, yes, I have always wanted to be a mod
    Probably not, the job sucks.

I got demoted to plat

uuggghhhhh

spent a couple hours yesterday messing around with the custom HOTS maps, pretty fun.

ooooooh. Imma go try those out

---------- Post added 2011-10-31 at 12:26 PM ----------

ugghh.. every protoss i meet just uses their stupid nexus ability to cannon rush me. Don't know why tbh. its not like ladder points are at stake
    Last edited by Greens; 2011-10-31 at 04:41 PM.

ooooooh. Imma go try those out

---------- Post added 2011-10-31 at 12:26 PM ----------

ugghh.. every protoss i meet just uses their stupid nexus ability to cannon rush me. Don't knwo why tbh. its not like ladder points are at stake
    yeah its possible to just gas steal and use the ability on it. you're better off playing against the computer until it gets fixed.

best way to fix it would to just not allow the ability to be used on assimilators and pylons probably

Do computers use the new units? Or does the standard AI ignore their existence?

---------- Post added 2011-10-31 at 01:02 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ralamus View Post
    yeah its possible to just gas steal and use the ability on it. you're better off playing against the computer until it gets fixed.

best way to fix it would to just not allow the ability to be used on assimilators and pylons probably
    Maybe just restrict its use to a certain radius around a nexus. That way it couldnt be used to harassment.

Do computers use the new units? Or does the standard AI ignore their existence?

---------- Post added 2011-10-31 at 01:02 PM ----------

Maybe just restrict its use to a certain radius around a nexus. That way it couldnt be used to harassment.
    i only played for a little bit on hard just to mess around with how the units feel, but i didn't see the computer use any of the new units.

and personally i was strugglin a bit to work the new stuff into my army, but im sure that's to be expected. id like to see some of the pros play it and see how they do stuff.
    Last edited by Ralamus; 2011-10-31 at 06:51 PM.

Wait, what is this? Is this a custom map or? And is it on EU?