Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    Just worry about perfecting your macro and your micro, although focus on your macro mostly. Keep your minerals low and gas low. Don't worry about scouting, don't worry about strategy, etc. until you get to at least diamond. At your level, so long as you can macro better than your opponent, chances are you'll win.

And as for feeling overwhelmed, just try one or two base builds rather than rapidly expanding, or else you'll get overloaded with minerals and gas you won't be able to use. And again, MACRO! (:
    Apologies for the Ignorance, but what exactly is "Macro"? I understand it means large, probably short for Macro-Manage..but I don't really understand what exactly you mean.

To macro is focus on your base and economy; build a lot. Make a lot of bases, a lot of workers, a lot of units, a lot of STUFF. Expand a lot (if your zerg) and just make stuff. At low levels, if you macro well enough, then it should make you enough units to win without amazing micro. Micro is good control of small things; controlling units effectively, etc.

Oh, and watch pro games.

A lot of them.

Like, a lot. Trust me. It helps.

www.sc2casts.com is a good site I like to use for pro games. Usually well casted too.

Edit : Go mess around in custom games versus the computer with every race, even if you dont want to play them. Get an understanding of what units the other races have, how they build them, etc. Having a decent understanding of the other races mechanics will help you play against them, understand more, and also make you much better able to understand casters when they talk about pro games.
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoshimiko View Post
    Apologies for the Ignorance, but what exactly is "Macro"? I understand it means large, probably short for Macro-Manage..but I don't really understand what exactly you mean.
    I'll preface this with apologizing if I sound like a douche and I'm insulting your intelligence, but I don't know how much you know on the game so I'll explain everything super detailed (x

Macro is focusing on building things efficiently, your structures, your bases, your units, upgrades, etc. It's how quickly you can produce things from whatever build your trying to go for (a build is whatever the general strategy of what you're trying to do is) Since your new though, you should really only try and do one/two base plays until you can consistently keep your resources low.

And on that note, people will try and give you advice like "look at X strategy it's super good!" or "you have to scout really efficiently between x time and y time" but if you can macro better than your opponent (until you hit like platinum league) you'll just win from having more stuff than the other guy. So for example, say you are in a ZvT (lets say you're zerg and in silver league) the Terran might have some super insane strategy build for this game, but if he can't macro for shit and you can macro somewhat better than him, you WILL win just because you have more stuff.

A lot of people will say EXPAND EXPAND EXPAND, and that's normally a good thing to do, but if you're in a really low league and you can't macro efficiently off of two bases, trying to go three or four bases will overwhelm you easily and you'll probably lose.

/end massive wall of text, hope it helps.

Day9 http://blip.tv/day9tv has couple of beginner videos (they're called newbie tuesday, search for them), in which he explains basics of the game (he once explained point of macro as "in RTS games, the player with more shit usually wins", so good macro will easily allow you to beat most of the players). Some of advice can be a bit dated because of balance changes from then, but most of it is great even now (drone timing daily is a must watch for any zerg player).

Some general advice:
    -Always make workers (have a worker in production), you can't win without good economy
    -don't get supply blocked (when your available supply is maxed out and you can't produce any more workers or units), this is a bad thing because it creates "bumps" in your economy, making your army smaller than it could be
    -above two rules can be summarized as immortal "pylons and probes", basically as long as you don't forget to produce workers and supply (pylons, depots or overlords), your economy is good
    -don't queue units in production buildings, that's just wasted money than you can't use now (when you need it most, duh) it's a bad habit and it can give you illusion that your macro (spending resources you earn) is better than it is (of course there are exceptions for this, queuing units during attacks is fine as you'll need all your attention on battle)
    -as zerg, your larva is your third resource, watch drone timing daily and practice, practice, practice your injects
    -don't try to turtle (play only defensively) and attack only with maxed army, it's a bad habit (Grubby, legendary warcraft 3 player once said that best players are ones that play greedy as much as possible without losing) don't be afraid of taking risks and pressuring your opponents in early game, it makes wonders especially in lower leagues
    -don't overcommit to attack (for example you play as terran against zerg, you went for 2 barracks early pressure and killed couple of his workers and maybe a queen, there's no point in staying further and losing your entire army for nothing, as long as you forced zerg to make units early game, you're way ahead) knowing when to pull back when you're ahead will make you extremely dangerous player
    -try to expand while pressuring opponent, if his units are at his base yours are much safer (i know it seems straightforward but too much people don't do anything useful with their units, as long as you made them, put them to use)
    -cheese (cheesing is a simple, one-trick-pony tactic designed to win game fast and quick) once in a while, (some people will say that cheesing is a cheap tactic and only long macro games are epitome of skill, i say they're idiots who don't utilize their entire toolset), it will make you well rounded player and make you more resistant to opponent cheesing you (you'll get cheesed a lot in lower leagues, you may as well get used to it)
    -learn other races that you can counter them better

There is a ton of other information (build orders, countering, harassing, all-ins etc) be prepared to research starcraft and watch tournament videos once in a while, always ask yourself "why are professional players doing this, and how can i use it?" but for now, just play and try to build good fundamentals of the game. This is probably best time to start playing, game is extremely balanced, and expansion is coming out soon, which will make most of current strategies obsolete (if you get a good grasp of mechanics and game strategy you'll be able to start form even field as everyone else as game changes with expansion)

TLDR: Pylons and Probes, watch videos, don't get discouraged by losing, pressure opponents and above else just PLAY.

Deleted
    http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/TwitchTV
    World finals happening right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bumpin this thread cuz world finals.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    Because what they are atm are plait tugging, sniffing, glaring, prissy, clothes obsessed bitches who I would quite cheerfully drown.
    I often post from my mobile device, typos in my posts are 99% likely to be because of that.
    All I would ever want and need is a hug.

10+ Year Old Account
    After about 20 matches in HotS, I can say it still needs LOTS more changing, my biggest problem as of now is 2-3 phoenix 6 oracle harassment, I've got no means of scouting it, if I prepare for it before knowing it's is build, I lose to ie. a 3 immortal sentry all-in build.

I've been fightning a 6 oracle harassment build 7 times, all tried different tactics, all lost.

I play zerg.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

That first match between Scarlett and Nerchio.... DAYUM!

Deleted
    So many sick matches today!! Parting Vs Scarlett, HerO vs BabyKnight, brother vs brother (Vortix vs Lucifron) and Rain vs IdrA!

15+ Year Old Account
    haha! the carbot animations are amazing! check them out.

Watching Suppy vs PartinG on stream 4 right now!

Watching all four streams!

I was so excited to experience Day[9] and Tasteless casting together, might be the all time greatest moment in eSports history!

Disappointed that IdrA was knocked out. ): But at the same time: happy to see Suppy doing so well!
    Last edited by noteworthynerd; 2012-11-18 at 04:31 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    man, I hope HerO ends up doing well. He's my last liquid hope!

For that matter, I think he was the only guy from Liquid in the tournament.

Deleted
    Too bad Terrans did not got a Buff before BWC. PvZ, ZvZ and PvP are really boring in 90% of the games. Expect to see Broodlord Infestor in every game from now on -_-

15+ Year Old Account
    Suppy up 2-1 against PartinG. he might take this next game to make it a game 5

Deleted
    Aaaaaaand PartinG won. Fucking sick Stalker micro.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Had88 View Post
    Too bad Terrans did not got a Buff before BWC. PvZ, ZvZ and PvP are really boring in 90% of the games. Expect to see Broodlord Infestor in every game from now on -_-
    Why would T need a buff?? If anything Infestor should be nerfed and some other zerg units bufffed

Quote Originally Posted by Nomzter View Post
    Why would T need a buff?? If anything Infestor should be nerfed and some other zerg units bufffed
    I think it's pretty much universally accepted in the SC2 community that Infestors need changed/nerfed in some way.

A dev (I believe it is Dustin Browder himself) spoke about them a few days ago:
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    I want to be as clear as I can on our current position of the Infestor in Wings of Liberty.

- We are not going to make any changes before BWC.
    - We are going to continue to watch games and gather data.
    - We will discuss changes.
    - We may try a balance map sometime after BWC.
    - We may try some changes in Swarm Beta, using that as a test-bed for stuff we could bring back into Wings of Liberty.

At this time I could see these as possible outcomes:
    - We nerf Infested Terrans, Fungal Growth or both.
    - We make a change to the Infestor (hit points, movement speed, etc.).
    - We do a change to how the unit is designed (add a projectile back to Fungal Growth, increase the visibility of burrowed units while they are moving, etc.).
    - We buff some of the potential counters (EMP, Feedback).
    - We do a combination of any of the above.
    - We see something that makes us decide that doing nothing is the right answer. Obviously if this occurs we would share this data or reasoning.

For those of you who believe that this is too slow a response, I am sorry.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by stfouri View Post
    Its abit expensive for a expansion, but then again the amount of hours you can easily put on this game again is well worth it.
    Money/Hour spent is really low.
    Well It's cheaper then the original was at release but it has just as much content as that one(campaign is prolly same in length)

Deleted
    II paid 38€ for SC2 at releasedate... now I try to get to 55€ on my bnet-balance with some more d3 auctions, so I can buy the digital deluxe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Had88 View Post
    II paid 38€ for SC2 at releasedate... now I try to get to 55€ on my bnet-balance with some more d3 auctions, so I can buy the digital deluxe.
    Damn, dunno where u got it from but I payed 60€ for mine .... and regular not deluxe/collector's