Thread: Cover?

10+ Year Old Account

Cover?

If you notice in a lot of official videos the players seem to take cover behind objects. Some classes even produce energy shields to take cover. But seems like when I watch leaked footage or non-official footage, no one is using cover.

Is taking cover going to be a intricate part of combat strategy? Do you think the reason we only see cover being used heavily in official videos because players are not used to this strategy?

Considering most classes are ranged, I think cover would be very important. It also seems like it will be beneficial in the immersion of the world if you really felt like you could interact with your landscape much more than is provided in modern MMORPGs.

Deleted
    I hope so. Would really make no sense if they invented the system, to then let it be useless.

Deleted
    The only two classes that use cover are the Imperial Agent and the Smuggler. Even then, it tends to only be the Advanced Classes of the Sniper and Gunslinger respectively, that rely more heavily on cover.

There have been very few videos on either the Sniper or Gunslinger, thus the lack of cover being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    The only two classes that use cover are the Imperial Agent and the Smuggler. Even then, it tends to only be the Advanced Classes of the Sniper and Gunslinger respectively, that rely more heavily on cover.

There have been very few videos on either the Sniper or Gunslinger, thus the lack of cover being used.
    What he said only 2 classes use the cover system

Deleted
    Actually cover is a great asset. On leaks, where the damage the party is suffering is healable, there is no reason to use a 20% decrease to damage received. Secondly, I can't be sure though, with no dps charts we can't know if the abilities you gain when you are in cover deal more damage than the normal ones. I guess people don't use it because the can rush through the game and they burn trash mobs very fast or they don't know their class so good.

In developer's walkthrough, cover is used most of the time (that's maybe happening because BW wants to prove that's vital, can really tell :P ) and I've seen it used in a leak of a smuggler's early leveling.

IMHO cover will be used on pve, maybe a must use for good players. As for pvp, rolling away is always a good way of manoeuvring and kiting. Think of a Huttball game where a JC Sage faces a IA Sniper and there's a fire or toxic pool between them. There you go!
    I can confirm it but you have some more slow and snare attacks behind cover so I guess that you kite, use cover and hit them with the slowing down attacks, then you kite a little more and use cover again when your slow cd are up again. Other class can get during kiting if you don't have get away cd and you can kill them if you use your abilities correctly.

A running IA is a glass cannon. A IA in cover is a cannon and that's it.

I believe cover classes are gonna be extremely overpowered by people that would know how to play them

Trying to tread lightly to avoid saying something that might be considered a leak... Cover is a pivotal mechanic for snipers and gunslingers, to the point of if they don't use it, they're terrible. The mark of a good player of these classes will be those that can seamlessly move from cover to standing and back again to be able to use attacks that require cover, and those that don't for optimal damage.

To the OP, most videos likely don't show people in cover, because most (75%) classes don't use cover.

Deleted
    I believe cover classes are gonna be extremely overpowered by people that would know how to play them
    Quite. I believe there is a 20 yard range on cover. That's some hefty rolling distance.

10+ Year Old Account
    For some reason I thought all classes could use cover, but going over the progression videos its the NPC's Im thinking about. Thanks for the info though, Im definitely looking forward to a IA Sniper.

This is a decent video for cover:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxMbI30KKJ0
    He starts off not knowing how to use it. And says you need to hold F. But then later on you can see he learned that it isn't needed and starts using to more fluidly.
    Not an expert but probably will be how most people will feel as they start a new smuggler or IA.