Poll: Steam

Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Angry Steam - love it or hate it?

Heres last week in a nutshell:
    Just moved into a new apartment (yay), no Internet for another week while I start a new service with my provider. No biggie, I'll dust off my Skyrim character and play that until I get connected.

Nope, although I have a physical disc of SKYRIM that I bought from a retail store I still am locked out of playing it because the Steam account I was forced to create needs to update, but is unable to do so because I have no Internet.

Sure, I get it if I bought the game online over Steam - obviously I'd need account access to play it if it was a digital copy. But no, its the physical disc.

Fine, fine, I'll get over not having Skyrim for a week, let's try Scribblenauts Unlimited - another game I have downloaded onto my computer purchased through Amazon.com... Nope, also won't work, whats with that? Its my property! Finally after mumbling and grumbling the day arrives. When I receive Internet access I decide its finally time to play Skyrim aaaaaaand

"Hello, we see you're logging in from a new computer" (um no I'm not) "please access your e-mail, follow the link, enter the validation code, then jump through this ring of fire before playing your game".

So after an Internetless week playing SimCity 4 and Zoo Tycoon 2, I can't help but feel.. jipped. I was essentially bullied into installing software I never used, never wanted and never cared for. Surely other people over the Internet and across gaming fansites would agree with me that this forced installation is an unnecessary evil, right? Nada, everyone loves it, everyone loves the sales, the ease of access, the easy install. Everyone thinks I'm crazy for hating it, I suppose.

So that's me, and of course an Internet opinion is an Internet opinion so don't go on the flame if you disagree. Do you like Steam? hate it? LOATHE it as I do?
    Last edited by Al Gorefiend; 2013-11-23 at 11:45 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why is there no middle ground in this poll? I prefer gaming without any DRM services attached to it but i don't hate it per say, hate is a strong word.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Heres last week in a nutshell:
    "Hello, we see you're logging in from a new computer" (um no I'm not) "please access your e-mail, follow the link, enter the validation code, then jump through this ring of fire before playing your game".
    You'd be even more pissed if someone hacked your account. By "logging in from a new computer", they mean "Your IP address has changed since you last logged in". Be thankful they care about customer security. If you have no internet, you should still be able to log into Steam, as long as you already have done once, with internet on your computer.

OT: I love Steam. I think it's one of the best things to happen to gaming; the majority of my games are safe, and secure; I don't have to worry about losing a disc, or a disc breaking; The sales are amazing.. etc. I hope they start selling Android games tbh, makes sense with the app

Dem deals doe..
    Quote Originally Posted by TCGamer View Post
    If I had the cash to pay a DDoSer, I would in a heartbeat. Especially with the way the anti-legacy crowd has been attacked by the pro-legacy crowd day in and day out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its okay I guess. It seems to be really resource intensive on my system, so I keep it turned off unless necessary.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Synyzta View Post
    If you have no internet, you should still be able to log into Steam, as long as you already have done once, with internet on your computer.
    Steam needed to update, probably a security update or the usual patch. Without Internet, it couldn't update and therefore locked me out of playing my game I had the disc for. There was no possible way to bypass this. I couldn't install Skyrim to a different folder or re-install, Steam must have been built into the game's .exe. I was powerless.

Love everything about it. All the games are in one library, they don't take space, install them whenever I want. Communities, deals, comfortable store, greenlight. What's not to like.

if you don't have internet then your a little stuck, the best thing you can do is to crack the drm so you can at least play, then remove the cracked files when you get your internet back. i did it for skyrim and fallout just so i didn't have to load up steam every time i wanted to play. (hell at one point NVSE skipped steam requirements for a time)

its not a bad service really, it wasn't so great when it initially came out but its much better these days considering most computers have over 4gbs of ram its no longer a problem. i mean looking in the task manager its taking up 28mb of memory, holds all your games in a list, with the ability to remove and redownload them at will, don't know what more you could want from a DD service. over the years i've had a few freebies from them aswell which is always nice, the deals they offer during the holidays are probably the best you'll find, 80% offs etc. there isn't anything to compare it to.

Deleted
    Steam completely revolutionized the way I play games on my PC.

Its amazing.

its a love - hate relationship actually ^^

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Quilzar View Post
    Steam completely revolutionized the way I play games on my PC.

Its amazing.
    and this of course ^^
    so friggin easy to play multiplayer with your friends over steam, even battle.net looks like rocketscience

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    Love everything about it. All the games are in one library, they don't take space, install them whenever I want. Communities, deals, comfortable store, greenlight. What's not to like.
    Sure, its a great system if you love having things like community (My first experience with community was getting invited to join H3LLZ G4M3RS every 5 minutes and no way to block invitations which wasn't nice).

So I don't take advantage of sales, I don't shop on Steam, and I have no clue what greenlight is. Sure those must be super cool if you're the person to use them but they just aren't for me! Why. Cant. I. Opt. Out?

Deleted
    I love the interface, the sales and being able to have all my games in one spot. I really don't care for always online DRM's since, well, I'm always online. If you're stuck without internet that sucks but there are solutions like tethering your phone data for a couple of minutes to enable the offline mode. Sure, there are some downsides to having all your games stuck on steam but the upsides heavily outweigh them. Without Steam PC gaming would be a much worse experience.

Steam needed to update, probably a security update or the usual patch. Without Internet, it couldn't update and therefore locked me out of playing my game I had the disc for. There was no possible way to bypass this. I couldn't install Skyrim to a different folder or re-install, Steam must have been built into the game's .exe. I was powerless.
    Sound like you got caught up in an unfortunate series of circumstances; that doesn't make Steam bad. It has changed the way I game, for the better.

Deleted
    offline mode.

If Steam didn't had offline mode I would probably like it a lot less. But tbh after the rough start in 2003 it's been frickin awesome platform. Since 2008 it's perfect.

this poll sums up, whats wrong with the internet.
    Could you add some random insults in it?
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigma View Post
    offline mode.
    I know about it, I couldn't access it. I'd click Skyrim, Steam would load along with Skyrim, then say "Update failed! could not establish connection to Steam!" then abort both steam AND the game. It was beyond frustration.

It's okay, Not great not bad. Got LOTR:War in the North wish i could refund it. The constant crashes are really annoying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by owbu View Post
    this poll sums up, whats wrong with the internet.
    Could you add some random insults in it?
    What? I don't understand.

10+ Year Old Account
    What? I don't understand.
    There is no middle ground, you either hate or love it according to your poll, both being very strong words.