Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Bali] 14 year old teen arrested on Drug charges

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/835...rested-in-bali

Australian authorities have confirmed that a 14-year-old boy from NSW has been arrested in Indonesia after allegedly being caught with drugs while on holiday in Bali.

The boy was arrested on Tuesday, allegedly in possession of a small amount of marijuana.

He could face a lengthy jail term if convicted of possession charges, which carry a maximum penalty of 12 years in jail.

The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said consular officials had been in contact with the boy and his family.

"An Australian teenager from NSW was detained in Bali, Indonesia on Tuesday 4 October 2011 after he was found with a small quantity of drugs," the spokesperson said.

Australian Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd has told DFAT to the make the matter a top priority.

"(Mr) Rudd has directed that the Australian Ambassador in Jakarta and the Consul General in Bali make this their top priority and undertake all efforts to resolve the matter quickly and seek the early release of the boy."

The boy was allegedly caught with 6.9 grams gross of marijuana or 3.6 grams net.

He is now being held at police headquarters in Denpasar.

However, as there is no juvenile court system in Indonesia, he would probably be placed in an adult prison if convicted.

He is the youngest Australian to be arrested in Indonesia.

The boy was reported to be on holidays with his parents and was with a friend when he was arrested.

His family was staying nearby at the luxury resort of Legian.

This is why you shouldnt take drugs over seas....or at least have em
    Australian Oceanic Multi Class Veteran of the Burning Crusade Wars!
    Twitter: @Romiretv
    Youtube: RomireTv
    Twitchy: My Twitch

Deleted
    Good. We should have this in the western world too.

10+ Year Old Account
    For...weed...real-...really??

*facepalm*

Living in Australia he would know the consequences of what he did with so much coverage on this over the years. He did the crime in another country he must do the time under there laws. To bad for him

Can't really feel sorry for him, he knew the consequences when he did it.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Pretty much this. Everyone knows the risk associated with doing something illegal; no matter what it is. You can't really go ahead and do something illegal then have a pity party once you're caught.

Deleted
    As long as they let him smoke the drugs whilst inside he should be fine!

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    He was 14, he probably didn't. 12 years? thats irrational. I don't do weed, but I dont even think it should be illegal, while alcohol isn't.

Deleted
    Atleast he didnt have booze on him. It's more dangerous for him and everyone else near him but hey, it's legal if your 18.

Quote Originally Posted by -Zait- View Post
    For...weed...real-...really??

*facepalm*
    dude, it's indonesia. 3rd world "intelligence". in some shitty countries you could even be killed for the possession of drugs.

User was infracted for this post.
    Last edited by mmoc0fc091fcb6; 2011-10-06 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rapret View Post
    He was 14, he probably didn't. 12 years? thats irrational. I don't do weed, but I dont even think it should be illegal, while alcohol isn't.
    How would you not know that getting caught with drugs is illegal when you're 14? Unless you're completely unaware of the outside world (which I'm going to assume he isn't) a 14 year old, even if he doesn't know the ins and outs of the law completely, would definitely know that drugs = illegal.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Some areas in the east will give you just as big a sentence for tobacco as they do for weed...they should be aware of this because it all over the news all the time.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapret View Post
    It is illegal, what you think is irrelevant. He is old enough to understand what he does and to think about consequences.

Really? Putting a 14 year old boy in jail with adult criminals is just punishment for carrying what is basically a joint?

Do you understand how much he would be raped/beaten/ possibly killed? For a joint?

He's 14 for christ sake.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zillionhz View Post
    By fiber be purged

It shouldn't be illegal, it's only illegal for the most stupidest reasons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by reve View Post
    Good. We should have this in the western world too.
    Clearly, you have not smoked weed before :P

This is a hugely tremendous over reaction.

Deleted
    Funny thing is a couple of weeks ago there was a thread about a dude who'd had his bike seat stolen somewhere in Florida. A silly little crime in which people were telling the OP to press charges and consequently ruin the thief's life. Everybody in the thread had acknowledged that it was only a bike seat of little value, but were using principle as a reason to get the thief convicted, fined and even imprisoned 'to teach him not to touch other people's property'.

This little kid is a dumb ass. At 14 years old, you should know drugs are bad (in terms of legality). It's nothing to do with '3rd World Intelligence' or whatever that bullshit above was, every country has different laws and everything country has stupid laws that they're still hanging onto for some odd reason (e.g. in the UK its still legal for a pregnant woman to pee in a policeman's hat if she needs to go and there is no near loo).

But for this fool to get hold of drugs in a country he knows nothing about? Whilst your family are in a luxury resort, indicating that you could possibly be from a priviledged background? Don't know. Maybe 12 years is excessive for a 14 year old kid, he's clearly a dumb ass. But do the crime do the time. Though I do 100% disagree with putting him in an adult prison.

If you're old enough to want weed, you're old enough to understand the postivie (sky high) effects it has, and the negative consequences it carries
    Last edited by mmoc8bb6fc4e9d; 2011-10-06 at 09:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    While it's disgusting to think what will happen to this kid in jail, and while it's digesting to think that it's all over a joint, there's not much that can be said in his defense.

Drugs are illegal, and contries like Indonesia and Thailand are very serious about it. I repeat, it's illegal. Keep off them.

Illegal drugs are illegal when will people realise that even thou you think weed is the all safe wonderful gift of god IT IS STILL ILLEGAL and having it on you in a country with a different law system then your own is beyond stupid this boy deserves everything he gets darwin was right again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Behind you, what I'm not? Then who's this person I'm behind?
    Is this really news worthy? Teenagers get arrested all the time for carrying weed.

In any case I would feel more pity for the kid, if I hadn't gotten the impression that he was some over-privatized rich kid.