Thread: Pvp gear?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Pvp gear?

Sorry if this has been asked, and also if its a newb question but, is there going to be PvP gear? as in am i going to be able to do strict pvp and buy gear from someone where? or will we have to pve just to get gear and then pvp with it. I have no issues pveing cause thats what most of my friends are doing. I just have more fun pvping. Anyways some insight on this would be cool.
    Thanks, Wraklol

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes.

And a player in full PvP gear vs a player in full PvE gear will only have around a 10% advantage.

My SWTOR guild: www.radguild.com
    USA West Coast PvP server: The Bastion
    Get your Game of Thrones on at Winteriscoming.net

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats fantastic, sounds like a great way to bring more people to pvp. Thanks for the info Trolls!

i like that it will only be a 10% advantage, more people pvping, should decrease que times due to accesability and it will truly be about skill not the fact that you can farm for hours to get the best pvp gear.
    the only issue i can think of would be how they are gonna work it out so you cant grab just PvE gear to pvp and vice versa without dire consequences (ie one gear set being way better for the counterpart (pvp gear for pve or pve gear strictly for pvp) stat wise)
    or does noone else feel that way?
    id love your input ont he matter trolls, you know what your talking about

Deleted
    Where did you find that ? I mean the 10% difference ?
    I really doubt it will be only 10%....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SafariS View Post
    Where did you find that ? I mean the 10% difference ?
    I really doubt it will be only 10%....
    It is. However, I believe that PvE gear won't give a huge advantage damage wise over PvP gear. Not like in WoW where PvE gear would give a stupid advantage if it wasn't for Resili.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a relief, now I know I wil have time for both raiding and PvP. Awwwww yeah. Sith had better watch their backs!
    "I'll tell you something, my Tenchi, you know the carnival comes and goes. But if you wait for a while, it'll always come back to you, Tenchi."~Ryoko TENCHIxRYOKO FTW!

"The crystal is the heart of the blade. The heart is the crystal of the Jedi. The Jedi is the crystal of the Force.
    The Force is the blade of the heart. All are intertwined. The crystal, the blade, the Jedi. You are one.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can use PvP gear to PvE, and PvE gear to PvP. But, you won't maximize to either playstyle doing it that way. PvP gear has a PvP stat that replaces one of your other stats that you will want for PvE because the PvP stat is useless in PvE. It's different than resilience, but hasn't been officially said yet, so I can't speak details.

The 10% thing has been said a few times. Here is one of them: "It was stated that PVP gear will be, at most, 10% better for PVP then comparable PVE gear. This limit is in place to give PVP focused players a boost while still letting non-PVPers compete." - Darth Hater

Quote Originally Posted by Trollsbane View Post
    You can use PvP gear to PvE, and PvE gear to PvP. But, you won't maximize to either playstyle doing it that way. PvP gear has a PvP stat that replaces one of your other stats that you will want for PvE because the PvP stat is useless in PvE. It's different than resilience, but hasn't been officially said yet, so I can't speak details.

The 10% thing has been said a few times. Here is one of them: "It was stated that PVP gear will be, at most, 10% better for PVP then comparable PVE gear. This limit is in place to give PVP focused players a boost while still letting non-PVPers compete." - Darth Hater
    hmmm alright, sounds good enough to me since i do plan on doing both sides of the spectrum. dont mind getting two sets of gear ;P

10+ Year Old Account

PvP Info

I can't find a date on this, but it sounded great and I hope they use this system to acquire pvp gear.

Rewards

You get experience and credits by participating in player versus player combat. Along with that, you get Commendations and Valor points.

Commendations

There are two types: Warzone and Mercenary Commendations. Warzone Commendations come from participating in Warzones, and Mercenary Commendations from open world PvP, clearly. Both can be used to buy a variety of PvP boosts and equipment. You can also exchange these commendations for each other.

Valor

You get Valor in all PvP areas and situations. They grant you character titles and some other things such as “Leader” status in Warzones. It will work based on ranks, and it’s also used for matchmaking purposes.

General PvP Info

Many neutral planets have open-world PvP zones which are up for grabs with multiple control points (ie. bases, and turrets)
    If a faction takes control of planetary defenses, bombing runs can be called in on opposing base
    You get two types of Commendations from PvP. Warzone Commendations come from Warzones & Mercenary Commendations comes from open world PvP. Both can be used to by high end PvP gear. You can also exchange them for the other if needed.
    On PvP servers, there is nothing to stop higher-level players from returning to lower-level planets (except starter/capital) and ganking lower-level players. The guards in the various safe areas on all planets are universally high level, to provide at least some protection for those leveling
    Players of opposing factions can almost always fight each other out in the open world, so long as they toggle their PVP flag. This flag will automatically be toggled “on” in designated PVP areas on a PVE server and in most areas on a PVP server
    If you fulfill a role type in a Warzone such as Healer or Tank your abilities actually benefit your side. You gain Badges such as absorbing damage etc, Taunt abilities from a Tank are useful as you pull damage off others. The more badges you earn by filling a role the more tokens you get to spend
    Currently access to PvP Start after the origin worlds around level 10
    Each player is allowed to assign one commendation at the end of the match to any teammate. These commendations increase the rewards acquired by that player
    All classes gain Resolve bars while in PvP. These bars are a visual representation of diminishing returns that show a characters susceptibility to crowd control
    You can receive at least four different rewards for PvP: Valor, Tokens, Experience, and Credits
    You can level up just by doing PvP

I really like the idea of a whole planet designed for world pvp filled with tons of awesome farming spots like they describe Llum. Also, the taking down defense systems and bombing enemy controlled zones like Halaa. World make world pvp an acceptable way to get gear. Even has something about matchmaking rating for warzones. Awesome!

I assume this is all kosher because it stems from a link in the sticky. It also answers many of the pvp questions that I had and have seen asked. http://www.starwarsmmolevelingguide.com/pvp/
    I like sandwiches

Deleted
    10% advantage is pretty huge for min maxing sense.
    I mean, it can get you not killed and in theory gives you 10% more health/sustainability/survivalibity so when guy is at 40% you are at 50% if you would do exact same stuff etc. I mean heck, anyone would want to dish out 10% more dps right?
    Sure its not like "50% dmg reduced" but the dmg isnt those "big numbers omg!1!" we tend to see around..based on latest video too.

Deleted
    Yes.

And a player in full PvP gear vs a player in full PvE gear will only have around a 10% advantage.
    this will get changed.. otherwise i want my pvp gear to only do 10% worse in PVE than a fully geared pve player.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    this will get changed.. otherwise i want my pvp gear to only do 10% worse in PVE than a fully geared pve player.
    It will. Wish granted. Gear in SWTOR is MUCH less focused on than in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Could it happen? Sure. Anything could. But it isn't necessary. It might take a math guy to prove what I'm saying though. Lol

This isn't WoW where numbers are inflated to unmanageable integers and the pvp stat is resilience that only sort of works. This isn't the burst game that drops you on 3 hits. It's a different game that is designed differently. And that's why it could work.

Here's an example based on things we've heard:

TOR has a pvp stat on pvp gear. This stat isn't just resilience. It adds damage done to players and reduces damage done to you by other players. This stat replaces another stat you would find on pve gear.
    If a piece of regular gear has 4 stats, then a piece of pvp gear will have 3 stats and the pvp stat that is entirely useless in pve.

Then you have to figure that the base combat stats (not the pvp stat) will be lower than that of same ilevel pve gear, otherwise pvp gear would be a whole lot more powerful.

So if a pve gear had 10 attack, 10 armor, 10 stam, and 10 crit, the same pvp gear piece may have 5 attack, 10 armor, 15 stam, and 10 pvp stat. So the pvp gear would lose some attack and crit, but possibly have higher stam as well as having the pvp stat that grants extra damage done and taken against players.

This is how TOR will achieve roughly a 10% advantage to pvp players in pvp gear against the same ilevel items of pve gear.

That does not translate to a pvp geared player only being around 10% worse at pve than a pve geared player. Because the pvp stat does nothing for pve, and you lose a stat on top of that, as well as losing some numbers you'd want in pve because of the stat value change.

I hope that made sense. I'm still working on the morning coffee. =)
    Last edited by Trollsbane; 2011-10-08 at 01:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    It will. Wish granted. Gear in SWTOR is MUCH less focused on than in WoW.
    :/ :\

No. It's still a gear-focused MMO.
    Why am I back here, I don't even play these games anymore

The problem with the internet is parallel to its greatest achievement: it has given the little man an outlet where he can be heard. Most of the time however, the little man is a little man because he is not worth hearing.

Deleted
    Could it happen? Sure. Anything could. But it isn't necessary. It might take a math guy to prove what I'm saying though. Lol

This isn't WoW where numbers are inflated to unmanageable integers and the pvp stat is resilience that only sort of works. This isn't the burst game that drops you on 3 hits. It's a different game that is designed differently. And that's why it could work.

Here's an example based on things we've heard:

TOR has a pvp stat on pvp gear. This stat isn't just resilience. It adds damage done to players and reduces damage done to you by other players. This stat replaces another stat you would find on pve gear.
    If a piece of regular gear has 4 stats, then a piece of pvp gear will have 3 stats and the pvp stat that is entirely useless in pve.

Then you have to figure that the base combat stats (not the pvp stat) will be lower than that of same ilevel pve gear, otherwise pvp gear would be a whole lot more powerful.

So if a pve gear had 10 attack, 10 armor, 10 stam, and 10 crit, the same pvp gear piece may have 5 attack, 10 armor, 15 stam, and 10 pvp stat. So the pvp gear would lose some attack and crit, but possibly have higher stam as well as having the pvp stat that grants extra damage done and taken against players.

This is how TOR will achieve roughly a 10% advantage to pvp players in pvp gear against the same ilevel items of pve gear.

That does not translate to a pvp geared player only being around 10% worse at pve than a pve geared player. Because the pvp stat does nothing for pve, and you lose a stat on top of that, as well as losing some numbers you'd want in pve because of the stat value change.

I hope that made sense. I'm still working on the morning coffee. =)
    so the design is to screw over pvpers? This wont happen if they dont want to make pvp a joke and that stat will not alter the fact pve players will probably have 2-4 times as much crit on the gear than you typical pvper.. so the pvp stat will have to not only effect dmg done, dmg taken, but also chance to be crit, crit dmg.. which just seems stupid imo.

i would rather they go "casual" and allow pvp / pve gear be bought by using currency earned for either pvp or pve.. Having one set which is useless for pve and another which works great for either pve or pvp is just incredibly stupid and its never going to happen if they actually do care about pvp.

this again could just be for tier 1 sets and then i would expect at least a 20% difference on tier 2 sets.. just so people dont have to lvl, raid, hardcore pvp just to keep up with everything at launch.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no idea where you are pulling that argument from. It just doesn't make sense to me. I gave a very small example that was just that; a random example.

Nothing is useless. It's just better in a certain area if that is the area you aquired the gear from. And that's the way it should be. You pvp, you get pvp gear. You pve, you get pve gear. Easy.

I would prefer PVP gear like original WoW and not BC after if they are going to have it. it sounds like it will give an advantage but nothing major. PVP with PVE gear should be possible.

Deleted
    I have no idea where you are pulling that argument from. It just doesn't make sense to me. I gave a very small example that was just that; a random example.

Nothing is useless. It's just better in a certain area if that is the area you aquired the gear from. And that's the way it should be. You pvp, you get pvp gear. You pve, you get pve gear. Easy.
    what example?

what your saying is they expect pve gear to only be 10% worse off to fully geared pvp sets. yet pvp gear to be signifacantly worse for pve.. is that fair? should pvp players who also like to pve have to grind more gear?

WoW has that kind of model btw where you can pve and before a new pvp season starts get the best gear available using ONLY pve currency. So you dont actually have to pvp at all to be fully geared.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another pulled from the air example:

Pve gear:
    100 strength
    100 stam
    100 armor
    60 crit
    50 accuracy

Pvp gear
    70 strength
    120 stam
    110 armor
    80 crit
    40 pvp rating (increase of attacks vs player and defense against player attacks)

Pve gear can be used in pvp. Will it be as good as pvp gear? No.
    Pve gear can be used in pve. Will it be as good as pve gear? No.

Advantage is given if you pvp in pvp gear, or if you pve in pve gear. But skill can still trump gear.

---------- Post added 2011-10-08 at 10:15 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    what example?

what your saying is they expect pve gear to only be 10% worse off to fully geared pvp sets. yet pvp gear to be signifacantly worse for pve.. is that fair? should pvp players who also like to pve have to grind more gear?

WoW has that kind of model btw where you can pve and before a new pvp season starts get the best gear available using ONLY pve currency. So you dont actually have to pvp at all to be fully geared.
    The example you quoted.

Yea, it is fair that you should actually pve to be the best in pve, or vice versa with pvp.
    Pvp gear is not significantly worse than pve gear to pve with.
    This isn't WoW, and their flawed system has nothing to do with TOR.