Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

So my coach is pissed at me...

So I found out last night that my grandfather was diagnosed with cancer. Hearing this news has completely shattered my mental stability. Because of this, I called my coach today and told him what was going on and I said that I was going to go home for the weekend to be with my family. Needless to say, he wasnt very happy.
    The only thing I have is a 40% scholarship and there was a tournament this weekend. My parents told me that I should go bowl and not to worry about but then I had friends ask me why I was still in the city. I was just completely torn and I had no idea what to do. Because the sport I play is very important to me and I had a team relying on me to be there.

Yes, I am going to school on a bowling scholarship.

Was I wrong?
    Last edited by Perished; 2011-10-06 at 08:15 PM.

Deleted
    what kind of question is this?

Fudge your coach.

Don't see any reason for you asking on here though, since it's obvious.

Your coach needs to get the massive tree out of his butt or something.

He was most definitely wrong.

Are you really that insecure about yourself to have to question if spending time with family after news like that is okay or not? If you coach has an issue with it tell him to go f*&^ himself.

Of course it isn't wrong, from the tiny amount of detail you have given.

Now if you are under some kind of performance contract and are ditching a game you are obligated to be at you are legally wrong, but not morally, IMO.

Coaches are dumb. I got kicked off the team for being too good.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you feel like it's the best decision you could make for yourself, you probably shouldn't worry about it. Otherwise, I'd tell your coach you changed your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by pvpKILLSwow View Post
    Coaches are dumb. I got kicked off the team for being too good.
    lol, highly doubt that.

In my sophomore year in HS I was not allowed to go to freshman/sophmore track meets because I was the 3rd best discus thrower in the varsity league of Cape Ann and other coaches deemed it "not fair" but they sure and hell didn't kick me off the team because I was 'too good'. They just restricted me to varsity level events.

Deleted
    Tell him he has to deal with it. Of course that is unless you signed a contract and are payed for whatever sport you do.

Deleted
    Your coach sounds like a total asshole.

Verbally annhialate him in front of the entire team.

Can't stand such selfish people.

priorities:
    1.family
    2.school
    3.sports

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Malthred View Post
    Are you really that insecure about yourself to have to question if spending time with family after news like that is okay or not? If you coach has an issue with it tell him to go f*&^ himself.

Of course it isn't wrong, from the tiny amount of detail you have given.

Now if you are under some kind of performance contract and are ditching a game you are obligated to be at you are legally wrong, but not morally, IMO.
    The only thing I have is a 40% scholarship and there was a tournament this weekend. My parents told me that I should go bowl and not to worry about but then I had friends ask me why I was still in the city. I was just completely torn and I had no idea what to do. Because the sport I play is very important to me and I had a team relying on me to be there.

Screw your coach, if he says anything to you tell him to f*&^ off.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Perished View Post
    The only thing I have is a 40% scholarship and there was a tournament this weekend. My parents told me that I should go bowl and not to worry about but then I had friends ask me why I was still in the city. I was just completely torn and I had no idea what to do. Because the spot I play is very important to me and I had a team relying on me to be there.

It's up to you. As Vazar mentioned, family comes first. Your coach shouldn't try to sway your decision, and he should understand if you're not there.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    What sport? What level of competition? I'm assuming college since you mention that you have a scholarship, so yeah, that could be seen as selfish. You should go and at the very least support your team even if you aren't in top mental shape. At the very least a distraction can help keep your mind occupied with something more cheerful.
    Narfwak - Elemental Shaman
    <FH>
    Black Dragonflight-US

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rfwak/advanced

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope you were right, coach is just dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Perished View Post

Ok, that is definitely a different situation than say an average game where there is no money involved. They are paying a large portion of your tuition and in return you are bowling for them, to back out on that is bad...

If I were in that situation I know it would be difficult to concentrate on bowling, but if your grandfather is not going to die that weekend, then it is probably better (and he would probably agree) to not risk a scholarship worth 40% of your tuition to go see him right away when you could go right after your game/tournament.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm going to go with the majority and say your coach needs to back off.

Deleted
    Why does it matter? Even if you are one of the best sportsmen in the whole world you could just tell your coach you miss one training. It shouldn't change the situation.

2 words: Brett Farve. Played a game the day his father died threw for 4 tds and over 300 yards. But then again, we all arent iron man Brett Farve. (btw coach is wrong assuming you arent a professional)
    10 Hours of trolling a day makes the troll sadness go away.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, of course not. It is your family!