Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account

Need new video card - help!

My fiance and I are currently playing Rift. We got him a new computer a few months ago and now we need to upgrade his video card (he gets horrible lag when more than 3 guys are around). Can you recommend a good one that will run the game smoothly and fit in his computer? Our budget is $200-400.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Here is his computer specs:

Acer AX3400-U4032

Processor (speed, L2 cache, FSB)
    AMD Athlon™ II X4 Quad-Core Processor 645
    (3.1GHz, 2MB Total cache)

Preloaded Operating System
    Windows® 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Video Graphics
    NVIDIA® GeForce® 9200 Chipset

Hard Drive
    1TB SATA Hard Drive (Green Product - variable RPM)

Memory
    6144MB DDR3 Dual-Channel SDRAM Memory

Maximum Memory
    Expandable to 8GB

Optical Drive
    16X DVD±R/RW SuperMulti Drive

Keyboard
    USB Keyboard and Optical Mouse

Sound Solution
    High-Definition Audio support with 5.1 Channel Output

Integrated Communications
    10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 port)
    802.11b/g/n Wireless

Security
    McAfee® Internet Security Suite Trial

System Weight
    19 lbs.

System Dimensions
    13.62 (H) x 7.48 (W) x 20.79 (L) inches

Limited Warranty
    1 Year Parts and Labor Limited Warranty with Toll Free Tech Support

Included Software
    Acer eRecovery Management, Adobe® Flash® Player, Adobe® Reader®, eSobi™, McAfee® Internet Security Suite Trial, Microsoft® Office Starter 2010, Microsoft® Office 2010 preloaded (purchase a product key to activate), Nero® 9 Essentials, Acer Arcade Deluxe, Wild Tangent Game Zone, Netflix

Interfaces
    9 - USB 2.0 Ports (5 Front, 4 Rear), 1 - HDMI Port, 1 - eSATA Port, 1 - VGA Port, 1 - High-Definition Headphone Jack, 1 - High-Definition Microphone Jack, 2 - PS2 Ports (Keyboard and Mouse), 5 - Audio Ports, 1 - Ethernet RJ-45 Port

Expansions

Total Available
    1 - PCI-E x1 0 - PCI-E x1
    1 - PCI-E x16 1 - PCI-E x16

Ouch, should have come here before you bought the computer. I wouldn't invest too much more into that system. Keep it around $150 or less IMHO.

Something like:
    http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=554...r&promoid=1297
    or
    http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=639...X&promoid=1297

Make sure a decent gaming graphics card will fit in the system first. The case looks pretty small. You'll also want to make sure your power supply is sufficient. You may have to explore some smaller cards. If I were in your scenario, I would probably just sell the system on craigslist or something to recoup some of the costs, then purchase/build a more suitable gaming system.
    Last edited by Dizey; 2011-10-07 at 12:25 AM.

Big problem with that computer and all other PCs that are using slim cases is that you simply can not fit a regular graphics card inside. Only way to make the upgrade would be bying new case and power supply and transplant stuff from your current computer to the new case. Then you can fit in new graphics card.

Edit:

This is the most powerful graphics card you can physically stick into the current case. It's pretty damn expensive considering the gaming power, and not really recommended purchase.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2011-10-07 at 12:32 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I dunno if i would put a 560ti in that system Vess. It's sorely underpowered for an MMORPG already.

Nothing wrong with a 460 either. Little more power draw, but meh. I put the 6850 there too!
    Last edited by Dizey; 2011-10-07 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizey View Post
    I dunno if i would put a 560ti in that system Vess. It's sorely underpowered for an MMORPG already.
    Not really that far behind Phenom II x4 955. Anyway, edited my post quite a lot after checking the computer details.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

The computer is a slim tower, neither of those cards will fit. He'll need something tagged "Low Profile", which really cuts the options down to cards that also qualify as "shitty", "overpriced", "hot", and "loud". Or "slow" if you want to avoid the last two.

EDIT: That 5570 is not the best card, though, by far. Lemme find a better one.

EDIT 2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814127585. HD 6570, $75. A bit more looking into it would have shown you a 5570 for about $60, not that $179 monster. I saw a low profile GTS450 once, but it appears they took it down, apparently it had some pretty bad heat/noise problems.
    Last edited by Nellah; 2011-10-07 at 01:17 AM.
    Super casual.