Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Beta, Cloes/Open

hey guys!

havent found a thread like this...so i thought i made 1

is there coming any closes or open beta to GW2?

if there is , how to sign up ?;d saw couple of videos from gamescon this week and i kinda got me hyped up for this game to

bored with wow atm , and waiting for a bunch of games to release
    SR3, BF3, MW 3, GW2 , DA3 , SWTOR , Skyrim

greeeetz

Deleted
    atm it's mid/late alpha tests with closed beta announced at end of the year

Deleted
    Closed beta towards the end of the year, no date announced for it yet.
    That will determine open beta, which will determine release.

Nobody knows how to sign up since it's not been announced, best bet is to sign up to the newsletter on the GW2 site.

10+ Year Old Account
    from what i heard it will be a very very short beta cycle unfortunately so i wouldnt get your hopes up on getting in

still, im gonna try like hell to get in when they announce it
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

You probably won't get into closed beta. And they've explicitly said that their open beta will be a marketing demo and not an actual "beta". It will probably start a couple weeks before launch or something. It was on their FAQ on their webpage last time I checked.

They said that a beta would be announced, "at the second half of 2011". So, i'm sure we'll hear something soon.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't wanna get into the beta :P It will spoil my first impression, with the fact that it is only beta, therefore unfinished and because I want to have it with my best IRL friend. We are buying the game together on release, rushing to his house where both our gaming computers will be waiting and then I will practically live at his house for a week We are creating 2 Sylvari in-game brothers and leveling to max level together ^^ Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post
    I don't wanna get into the beta :P It will spoil my first impression, with the fact that it is only beta, therefore unfinished and because I want to have it with my best IRL friend. We are buying the game together on release, rushing to his house where both our gaming computers will be waiting and then I will practically live at his house for a week We are creating 2 Sylvari in-game brothers and leveling to max level together ^^ Can't wait!
    I have mixed feelings on the wanting to get into beta or not. I understand why some don't want to get into it. Although, i'd love to get into it. Get a feel for the new layout and controls of the game, be prepared for GW2!

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, to be prepared for beta, they'd have to first implement 8th profession.

U can't release a CBT game w/o nearly-full content, that would be just silly.

Let me advice you to check out forums/wiki's/websites before opening topics like these. Answers can easily be found around.

Quote Originally Posted by Pyre Fierceshot View Post
    Closed beta towards the end of the year, no date announced for it yet.
    That will determine open beta, which will determine release.

Nobody knows how to sign up since it's not been announced, best bet is to sign up to the newsletter on the GW2 site.
    Have you ever received a newsletter, cause i haven't so far and i registered for it almost at the same time the site went up

---------- Post added 2011-10-07 at 02:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Eorayn View Post
    i understand the feeling but BETA is necessary to iron out bugs and glitchs, and not for anyone to enjoy the game, if you applying to CBETA just to play it, make Anet a favor and dont apply at all.
    Last edited by Lusitan; 2011-10-10 at 11:48 AM.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I wouldn't worry to much about signing up for beta. This forum is active enough that when any news concerning the beta is announced it'll be the second place behind GWguru that has it posted with in probably minutes of its announcement.

---------- Post added 2011-10-07 at 08:51 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ventashar View Post
    I have mixed feelings on the wanting to get into beta or not. I understand why some don't want to get into it. Although, i'd love to get into it. Get a feel for the new layout and controls of the game, be prepared for GW2!
    I love testing betas! Even if its a brand new game where I have to learn all new stuff or (even still) WoW. I like finding bugs and issues. Makes me feel good. I just play it like a normal game with a note pad and pencil in front of me. If I find a bug, I jot it down with any info relating to it and at the end of my playing session I always send in the infos. *gets warm with excitement*
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post

I love testing betas! Even if its a brand new game where I have to learn all new stuff or (even still) WoW. I like finding bugs and issues. Makes me feel good. I just play it like a normal game with a note pad and pencil in front of me. If I find a bug, I jot it down with any info relating to it and at the end of my playing session I always send in the infos. *gets warm with excitement*
    Stop making me want to play the beta right now.

Deleted
    I would play it like normal and if I encounter anything buggy or have any suggestions I'll write it down in notepad and when I log off I'll copy and paste everything into where you post feedback.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd like to get into the beta, even if it's just the "open beta, ie: free trial" thing shortly because the release date. I really miss the days where you were able to try a game before you bought it, buying blind is not fun.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I'd like to get into the beta, even if it's just the "open beta, ie: free trial" thing shortly because the release date. I really miss the days where you were able to try a game before you bought it, buying blind is not fun.
    You most likely will get that. Way Anet did beta/preview weekends in GW1 worked good and let people to get taste of the game. I wouldn't be surprised if closed beta would be very short (nearly finished game at that point) and mostly just having test krewe taking part of it as they already have established good communications with QA and Developers.

Quote Originally Posted by Teasy View Post
    Well, to be prepared for beta, they'd have to first implement 8th profession.

U can't release a CBT game w/o nearly-full content, that would be just silly.
    Except that it happens very frequently. CBT usually takes place in different stages, so you might only have access to the first say, 10-15 levels for the first round of closed beta and not even have access to the crafting available to those levels.

There's no info on how to sign up for the closed beta yet. The only reasonable therory I've heard is to sign up for the newsleter. I doubt it will increase your chances significantly but it cant hurt and they will likely make an announcement through that newsleter on how to sign up when it starts.

Who is John Galt?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lusitan View Post
    Have you ever received a newsletter, cause i haven't so far and i registered for it almost at the same time the site went up

---------- Post added 2011-10-07 at 02:43 PM ----------

i understand the felling but BETA is necessary to iron out bugs and glitchs, and not for anyone to enjoy the game, if you applying to CBETA just to play it, make Anet a favor and dont apply at all.
    How many people honestly think : "I want to go play the beta so I can help a company iron out its bugs."

Most people are more of the mindset: "I WANT TO GET MAH HANDS ON THIS GAME ANY WAY POSSIBLE".

OURS IS THE FURY -- Baratheon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THevil30 View Post
    How many people honestly think : "I want to go play the beta so I can help a company iron out its bugs."

Most people are more of the mindset: "I WANT TO GET MAH HANDS ON THIS GAME ANY WAY POSSIBLE".
    I would love to give them actual feedback on everything and bugs. Do you know how many threads in the Cataclysm Beta I had to read that read "omfg this trial sux0rs bliz, fix it nao!". It hurt my head to read most of them, because they wouldn't even report it in game like they were SUPPOSED TO. It's like a "Free Trial", it's called Beta Testing for a reason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_testing#Beta_testing

But still there are masses of stupid people who will still say, "OMFG this free trial sucks" and give 0 help back to NCsoft or ArenaNet.
    -------------------------------------------

Besides the obvious, I did come across something curious on the GW2 Wiki that tickled my fancy.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Rabbit

Reading that line, I'm wondering if we'll see a release for around Easter time, but that's me just wishing.
    Last edited by Blufossa; 2011-10-07 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Added stuff.