Shadow Priest Help/question (Video included)

The discussion is also in the video below but here is a summery.
    Is it a Dps increase to clip mind flay after two ticks ? Or to let it run the full course
    For me letting it fully tick is better since i dont miss my dot refresh times ,etc.

If im doing something else glaring wrong point it out

ps: IMBA : lol Clicker
    PSS: IMBA: lol bad UI

Thanks

http://youtu.be/bdZh0SUfLec
    Last edited by makominami; 2011-10-07 at 05:32 PM.

Yes, you should be clipping your mindflay after the second tick in order to maximize dps. Every other ability has a much higher damage per cast time then MF, and delaying them isn't good. Another thing i noticed right off the bat is that you're waiting until after your dots fall off to refresh, this is also a dps loss. You want to refresh when you have 1 tick remaining. It has been this way since cata's release... Basically if you refresh a dot with 1 tick remaining it will add that tick to the beginning of the new dot, extending the duration. So you want to start refreshing those at ~3 seconds remaining (preferably as low as possible, but 3 seconds is the mark if you're right at a haste tick.)

I didn't watch the entire video, so if i missed something i appolgize.

Just watched the rest -- You misunderstood what they meant by clipping. The only reason you'd want to clip mind flay is when you have a different ability that you need to refresh. You don't want to clip mind flay at 2 just to cast another mind flay, All this means is that after the second tick mark, it is okay to cast a different spell right away.

Personally, what i do, (And this might be a small dps loss over 'proper' play, but it's a lot more comfortable for me) Is i have a no-channel macro for my Mind Flay, and i just mash that key all the time, and fill in with my other spells as needed. I'm not sure if this would work with clicking, (Mouse travel time and all).

#showtooltip Mind Flay
    /cast [nochanneling:Mind Flay] Mind Flay;
    Last edited by hikamiro; 2011-10-07 at 05:53 PM.

Deleted
    ps. Aspect ratio

Deleted
    I want to point out that you are focusing on the wrong things to imrove on. Who cares if you clip Mind Flay or not. Your UI is horrible and it is holding you back for sure. Clicking doesn't make things better. When you have to focus your eyes on what to click, how can you keep track of the DoT timers in the upper left? The reason you are forgetting DoTs etc when clipping Mind Flay is because your eyes can't glance at the top left corner when having to watch the castbar AND the spells to click on.

The things to improve on:

1. Don't let the DoTs fall off. Better to refresh them early than to refresh them after they have fallen off.
    2. Mind Blast on cooldown.
    3. Don't click.

UI is fine if you don't click but since you are, it is terrible. These are the things you should improve on and if you do, your DPS will increase. Focusig on other things will give worse results. It is like those bronze/silver/gold/platinum/diamond players in StarCraft 2 focusing on what strategy they should use etc when all they need to do is focus on their macro to improve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    I want to point out that you are focusing on the wrong things to imrove on. Who cares if you clip Mind Flay or not. Your UI is horrible and it is holding you back for sure. Clicking doesn't make things better. When you have to focus your eyes on what to click, how can you keep track of the DoT timers in the upper left? The reason you are forgetting DoTs etc when clipping Mind Flay is because your eyes can't glance at the top left corner when having to watch the castbar AND the spells to click on.

The things to improve on:

1. Don't let the DoTs fall off. Better to refresh them early than to refresh them after they have fallen off.
    2. Mind Blast on cooldown.
    3. Don't click.

UI is fine if you don't click but since you are, it is terrible. These are the things you should improve on and if you do, your DPS will increase. Focusig on other things will give worse results. It is like those bronze/silver/gold/platinum/diamond players in StarCraft 2 focusing on what strategy they should use etc when all they need to do is focus on their macro to improve.

I don't disagree, but if he's comfortable with clicking, hes comfortable with clicking. Having him change it up is probably better long term, but that's more of his choice then anything.

I do agree that his dot timers NEED to be moved, Something near what he's actually looking at the majority of the time (Unless he has it down to the point that he doesn't need to look at what he clicks (Which i guess is possible).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hikamiro View Post
    I don't disagree, but if he's comfortable with clicking, hes comfortable with clicking. Having him change it up is probably better long term, but that's more of his choice then anything.

I do agree that his dot timers NEED to be moved, Something near what he's actually looking at the majority of the time (Unless he has it down to the point that he doesn't need to look at what he clicks (Which i guess is possible).
    There is no excuse for clicking, if you can post on a forum you own a keyboard and have a few hundred button combinations in front of your face all the time. Keyboards, and keybinds are resources - failing to use them decreases your dps. Time is a resource, your eyes can only move so quickly, can only register so much at once, by spreading your attention across your entire screen you are increasing the time to react to all the stimuli and that is a wasted resource and decreasing your dps. DoT's and MB are a more valuable resource than Mind Flay, failing to prioritize high value resources over low value resources is a waste and is decreasing your dps.

Yes, you should be clipping Mind Flay, sometimes even after a single tick - or you should have cast something else in that GCD (ie. DP refresh, death, shield) - but really you need to address more serious DPS issues than clipping flay - but yes, clip flay.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

The reason its ok for u to clip MF after 2 ticks is becuz its a DoT, and therefore that xtra tick that u clipped gets added onto the next MF if u clipped 1 to cast another that is. Ever notice why your MF channels are sometimes different cast lengths? well thats why.

Never let DP / VT / SW:P fall off, try to keep as close to 100% Uptime as u can on those

Quote Originally Posted by hikamiro View Post

This is exactly why i havent moved my spells in 3 years i personally hate it when new spells come out and normally plop them on the top bar

---------- Post added 2011-10-07 at 08:19 PM ----------

Thanks for the feedback anyway

Get PWS off your 1 key and put something more useful, yes I do occasionally PWS myself on progression, but once it's farmed I don't use it whatsoever.

Also you need a better way to track your dots, either use quartz and enable the debuffs on target, or use some kind of dot timer like Forte Exorcist or Class Timer. The default blizz frames don't show down to .1 seconds so it is very hard to maximize up time on your dots. Also use MB on cooldown, even without orbs its still a better use of a GCD than flaying unless you will lose ES and you have to recast a dot in the time that MB is on Cooldown.

Also idk why you would ask for help when you refuse to not alter your UI or stop clicking, the whole point of asking for help is to improve yourself, why hold yourself back with something you know is wrong and can be fairly easily changed?

All it takes is just a few minutes on the target dummy using your keybinds, and run a few heroics/t11 raids (aka places where you can practice your DPS while not having to be under pressure).

Quote Originally Posted by YankeePhan1234 View Post
    Get PWS off your 1 key and put something more useful, yes I do occasionally PWS myself on progression, but once it's farmed I don't use it whatsoever.

Also you need a better way to track your dots, either use quartz and enable the debuffs on target, or use some kind of dot timer like Forte Exorcist or Class Timer. The default blizz frames don't show down to .1 seconds so it is very hard to maximize up time on your dots. Also use MB on cooldown, even without orbs its still a better use of a GCD than flaying unless you will lose ES and you have to recast a dot in the time that MB is on Cooldown.

Also idk why you would ask for help when you refuse to not alter your UI or stop clicking, the whole point of asking for help is to improve yourself, why hold yourself back with something you know is wrong and can be fairly easily changed?

All it takes is just a few minutes on the target dummy using your keybinds, and run a few heroics/t11 raids (aka places where you can practice your DPS while not having to be under pressure).
    I tried to clean up my Ui today , and did some tests with it and i found myself 1st looking to the old place and having to remember were i put it. Its just long developed muscle/eye memory

why are you so worried about clipping mind flay? , you should be more worried about the fact you let your dots drop off and you are not mind blasting off cooldown. First thing you want to do is get an addon that shows your dot timers just above your cast bar, and shows your empowered shadows buff atleast.

I've never face palmed so hard, I can't believe there are people that still play like this.. I wish I had american ping.. and then to see what you are doing with your ping.. oh my.