Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

How do I know when I'm drunk?

So my class and me are going on a study trip to Poland next week. We are a gymnasium class aged 17-20, similar to late high school early college.
    In Denmark study trip means "let's see some nice things in the daytime, get completely wasted in the evening/night" - our teachers told us, that we just should be able to stand on 2 feet next morning and they wouldn't complain.

My "problem" is that I've never been drunk - or I'm not sure, but I wouldn't say so - due to being a competitive swimmer, but I have stopped doing that. So know everyone in my class expect me to get just as drunk as them.. But how do you know, when you are drunk - and how much is needed.

(I have been drinking alcohol before, like 6-8 drinks in a night - just never in the insane danish amounts)

Deleted
    You'll know when it hits you.

/Hoff

Deleted
    You will know if you are drunk. Since it is your first time, please take it easy. Drink lots of water before, during and after. Do not bow to peer pressure and do stupid drinking games either, drink at your own pace.

Deleted
    When you don't remember the night the day efter you know you've been really drunk.

When you can't remember shit the next day.

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    You will know if you are drunk.
    Nonsense. I still have no idea what being drunk feels like. There are just days I can remember and days I don't remember.

I seem to doubt it is the same feeling for all of us.

Oh you will know, my friend. You will know.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Tannalos View Post
    You'll know when it hits you.
    I started to type something out, then I deleted it, and started typing something else out...it pretty much ended up being the same thing as the quote.

Ye, I guess so, but since it's probably gonna me my first time, I think I might get to drunk.. but hey! I couldn't feel anything at all after 6 drinks, so it might not be as bad as i expect

---------- Post added 2011-10-07 at 07:48 PM ----------

Ye, I guess so, but since it's probably gonna me my first time, I think I might get too drunk.. but hey! I couldn't feel anything at all after 6 drinks, so it might not be as bad as i expect

And ye! I know to stay as much out of drinking games as possible ... some of them are just insanity!

Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post
    Nonsense. I still have no idea what being drunk feels like. There are just days I can remember and days I don't remember.

Aww that's a shame then. What a waste of alcohol, if you don't even get to enjoy the feeling of being drunk. I guess there are always other... alternatives
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

10+ Year Old Account
    If you've never been drunk, are under 21 years old and 200 lbs = you will be almost certainly drunk after your first bottle. You might not feel it for 2-3 bottles but being drunk is not instant.

If your *looking* to get drunk, just drink as much as you can in a short period of time.
    If you want to skip the joys of being drunk, drag the alcohol out over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Xebu View Post
    Aww that's a shame then. What a waste of alcohol, if you don't even get to enjoy the feeling of being drunk. I guess there are always other... alternatives
    It does its job when I don't want to remember part of my life.

But yes, I have never once felt out of the ordinary while drinking. I lose short term memory and reaction time, that's about it.

Deleted
    Best way I can describe it is you will feel "out of it". You don't have a clear head and all you want to do is talk to people and have fun. You can't focus... personally I'm thinking to myself (sometimes out loud - lol) "It's okay, you're not drunk, you can stop all this if you want to" but really you can't.

Also never sit down and drink too quickly. When you stand up you will get what's called helicopters: you will get dizzy and you might pass out. This happened to me the first time it happened, felt like I couldn't breathe and almost had a panic attack, lol. Don't let that scare you though, just try to stand up and drink slowly. The buzz is a great feeling, you get along with everyone.

When people say like in the movies "what happened last night..." after a night of drinking this is a major exaggeration... you will rarely forget anything and remember if you sober up a small bit before you sleep you won't have a hangover in the morning. Have fun.

---------- Post added 2011-10-07 at 06:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tiili View Post
    When you don't remember the night the day efter you know you've been really drunk.
    This is what somebody who has never gotten drunk will say. If you forget anything you probably drank lethal amounts, which nobody ever does at an occasional social event...

Other alternatives

Other and better alternatives. Say no to hangovers and enjoy a spliff.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    If you've never been drunk, are under 21 years old and 200 lbs = you will be almost certainly drunk after your first bottle. You might not feel it for 2-3 bottles but being drunk is not instant.

If your *looking* to get drunk, just drink as much as you can in a short period of time.
    If you want to skip the joys of being drunk, drag the alcohol out over time.
    152 lbs, 17 years and my max alcohol intake in one night was 8 drinks

As I understand it, you will start to feel a bit light headed (not queasy, but just relaxed) and maybe warm. That is when you are getting buzzed. As you get more intoxicated you will have to concentrate more on your coordination, so as you feel that start to happen you can gauge how drunk you are getting.

Thing to watch out for is sitting down and drinking, and then standing up. While sitting you won't feel the drunkness quite as much and when you stand it will hit you hard. So if you are going to be drinking a lot take it slow, and stay on your feet and move around a bit so you don't get taken off-guard with a sudden wave of drunken stupor, especially since you have never been drunk before and don't know what to expect.

If you're throwing up before you go to bed, you're drunk.

When you wake up the next morning, naked, in pool of vomit next to a donkey, screaming "WHAT HAPPENED!?!?!"... then you'll know.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lysah View Post

It seems you are very much in the minority according to this thread.

If you've never been drunk before you won't know until it's too late. The next morning you'll feel like shit; nausea, headache, dehydration. You may even still be slightly intoxicated.